Tiger Playing the frys.com Open

Bah!!! Not in Scottsdale, AZ anymore! Woulda gone as he hasn't played in Phoenix in years.

The first thing I thought was "WOOO! Tiger is coming to the valley!", and then I was bummed when I saw its in CA now, lol. Best of luck to Tiger though, his down spiral is sad to see.

Back in the day, tiger would have gone to a "smaller event" like this and would have embarrassed the field. Now is a different story. He's gonna be an equal to the field, not head-and-shoulders above the field. At this point he just needs to play, regardless of the strength/popularity of the tournament. He's not playing against Phil, Vijay, Luke, or Sergio, but against the course and his demons.

Last edited:
He has to get out there and play more golf. I don't think he can only play in big events and keep up in more or world rankings

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Zing!!!!

I bet this gets huge coverage though. I wonder what the odds makers are giving him for this tourney?

Interested to see the rest of the field.

I echo the folks who are saying it is good to see that he is getting out there to compete even if it is considered a "lesser" event. Maybe this is his message to the tour that he is willing to do what he needs to get his game back on track.

I dont know that it matters, if the idea is to get rounds under his belt.

It ALWAYS matters. This is not some exhibition game.

I echo the folks who are saying it is good to see that he is getting out there to compete even if it is considered a "lesser" event. Maybe this is his message to the tour that he is willing to do what he needs to get his game back on track.

I agree here. Its great to have him back and nice to see that he realized that he needs to get in more events. I would be lying if I said this is the start of something great for other events on a yearly basis, but its a start nonetheless. If he can go down here and put up some great scores, its perfect for golf and himself.

On the flipside, playing in a Fall Series event and not playing well....Again, would be a tough pill to swallow.

I agree here. Its great to have him back and nice to see that he realized that he needs to get in more events. I would be lying if I said this is the start of something great for other events on a yearly basis, but its a start nonetheless. If he can go down here and put up some great scores, its perfect for golf and himself.

On the flipside, playing in a Fall Series event and not playing well....Again, would be a tough pill to swallow.

I agree as well. Although I have to wonder:

a) Is this because he is truly trying to get back to a really competitive (winning) level
or
b) Is he going because Freddy said to if he wants to play in the Presidents Cup

a) Is this because he is truly trying to get back to a really competitive (winning) level
or
b) Is he going because Freddy said to if he wants to play in the Presidents Cup

Both I believe.

As the GC people said at the PGA. He needs to take the whole year off and get help from his past(hank/anyone else) and work on his stuff and then play in the spring/winter before the masters.

The only prediction I have for Tiger for that weekend is that he'll find a way to make it to the Stanford football game on Saturday. To try to predict what he will do on a golf course is foolish right now.

The Frys.com tournament is the one where Rocco Mediate won last year, he had like 4 hole-outs from the fairway during that tournament or something ridiculous like that. Golf Channel must be super-excited because they are the only ones that show the Fall Series events. I would have thought for sure that if Tiger was going to play a Fall Series event, it would have been the Disney tournament in Orlando, but a tournament near Stanford makes sense too.

This "smaller" event also has the biggest purse of the Fall series - $5M. And as somebody else suggested, Couples really wants him to play some so he won't embarrass himself (or Freddie for that matter) at the President's Cup. But in my opinion, more competitive rounds and the interest Woods always draws to any event is a good thing for him and for golf.

The only prediction I have for Tiger for that weekend is that he'll find a way to make it to the Stanford football game on Saturday. To try to predict what he will do on a golf course is foolish right now.

The Frys.com tournament is the one where Rocco Mediate won last year, he had like 4 hole-outs from the fairway during that tournament or something ridiculous like that. Golf Channel must be super-excited because they are the only ones that show the Fall Series events. I would have thought for sure that if Tiger was going to play a Fall Series event, it would have been the Disney tournament in Orlando, but a tournament near Stanford makes sense too.

I thought so too.
I have heard it locally though, that he does not care for the Disney courses for his game.
I think that may change and you never know if he gets out there this year.

I thought so too.
I have heard it locally though, that he does not care for the Disney courses for his game.

WHich is? Hell, the courses that traditionally suit his game, haven't. Maybe this is a good thing.

I would have loved to have seen Tiger at the Miracles tourney though

I thought so too.

WHich is? Hell, the courses that traditionally suit his game, haven't. Maybe this is a good thing.

I had the same thought. Anything with grass and greens does not suit his game ATM.

True, it matters in a way, but he needs practice. I would guess a lot of his focus is on refining certain parts of this game rather than just winning. On a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you think he cares about winning this event?

True, it matters in a way, but he needs practice. I would guess a lot of his focus is on refining certain parts of this game rather than just winning. On a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you think he cares about winning this event?

The guy himself over and over has said that if he tees it up its about winning. I mean if there is one thing I am sure he is being honest about, its this!

I'm glad he's playing in this, I think he should play the Justin Timberlake in Vegas as well and maybe even Disney while he's at it.

Should help with the ratings.

The guy himself over and over has said that if he tees it up its about winning. I mean if there is one thing I am sure he is being honest about, its this!

Fair enough, so if he misses the cut, its a complete failure of a week for him? Or how should he look at it? The idea is to play more events and get his game in order (the idea being suggested by many people) right? But we are going to judge him based on whether or not he wins? The whole idea of him playing these events is because his game needs work, so he isnt expected to win.

I am just trying to wrap my head around it...

Too bad it's on TGC.

Fair enough, so if he misses the cut, its a complete failure of a week for him? Or how should he look at it? The idea is to play more events and get his game in order (the idea being suggested by many people) right? But we are going to judge him based on whether or not he wins? The whole idea of him playing these events is because his game needs work, so he isnt expected to win.

I am just trying to wrap my head around it...

Does it have to be all or nothing?
At this point he is just another golfer on tour.
Struggling to make cuts and get better and move up in the rankings.
Despite popularity, at this point none of that matters.

Back