THP (Unofficial) 90s Hip Hop Playlist

Very good songs listed by everyone.
Since the 90s were my HS & College days, lots of memories are flooding back in seeing these names.
especially: Ice Cube's "Good Day" and Tribe Called Quest "scenario"
I have both CDs upstairs still.

My addition would be Heavy D - "now that we found love"

I think my list of THP friends is about to grow! I've pondered starting a similar thread for years. haha

Hip hop turned 50 this year and I think I've been listening to it for over 35 years...still my preferred genre of music and 90s is absolutely 🔥🔥🔥

Don't have time to look up song titles at the moment but we need some Hieroglyphics, Dilated Peoples, Roots... oh man, so much to add... I will be back :ROFLMAO:

I went to our equivalent of High School in 2001. I moved to a new town for it, out from under my parents' roof.
Met a dude who I'm still very good friends with. We were each others' bestman, we're godparents to each others' kids etc.
He played me Jurassic 5 on the pretty much first week of school. I was instantly hooked on rap! I'd mostly listened to hard rock (naturally) before that.
I went on a Napster binge and never looked back. One of my fondest musical memories is seeing J5 in Amsterdam in 2014 with the same friend.

I went to our equivalent of High School in 2001. I moved to a new town for it, out from under my parents' roof.
Met a dude who I'm still very good friends with. We were each others' bestman, we're godparents to each others' kids etc.
He played me Jurassic 5 on the pretty much first week of school. I was instantly hooked on rap! I'd mostly listened to hard rock (naturally) before that.
I went on a Napster binge and never looked back. One of my fondest musical memories is seeing J5 in Amsterdam in 2014 with the same friend.
Napster and Limewire for life! Haha

Napster and Limewire for life! Haha
Napster was then replaced by DC++. But I also bought a ton of albums. But we didn't have radio stations that played rap back then. What was a 16 yo kid going to do to learn about the music? Internet FTW!

I was training with the California SERT/CRT teams years ago in Cali and one of them called me "The whitest west coaster ever" after we'd talked in length about the 90's rap game.

I am sorely disappointed in every single one of you.

Napster was then replaced by DC++. But I also bought a ton of albums. But we didn't have radio stations that played rap back then. What was a 16 yo kid going to do to learn about the music? Internet FTW!

I was training with the California SERT/CRT teams years ago in Cali and one of them called me "The whitest west coaster ever" after we'd talked in length about the 90's rap game.
Lol!

Mind is playing tricks on me - Geto Boys
Liquid Swords - GZA
Brooklyn's Finest - Jay
Crossroads - Bone thugs

I thought this was 89... the beginning of 8th grade for me.
Apparently I was off by 6 months.
I texted my buddies about when this was.
They nailed it 6 for 6.... I was(am) the outlier.

Still a fun song, especially with a few drinks in you.

Born in 93 so late 2000's early 2010's were my prime but I still enjoyed my fair share of 90's

Blacksheep - The Choice is Yours
Eazy E - Ole School S***
Hot Boyz - Bling Bling

Bonus because it was a couple months early - Just a Friend - Biz Markie

I've had this and Doowutchyalike on my list but I keep thinking of other ones I like. Sex Packets was a phenomenal album.

Can I Get A... Jay-Z
If I Ruled the World Nas
Still Not a Playa Big Pun
1st of the Month Bone Thugs
Triumph Wu Tang

Everyone has already named some amazing songs. Ice Cube- It Was a Good Day is a classic. Greatest era of rap.

Can I Get A... Jay-Z
If I Ruled the World Nas
Still Not a Playa Big Pun
1st of the Month Bone Thugs
Triumph Wu Tang

Everyone has already named some amazing songs. Ice Cube- It Was a Good Day is a classic. Greatest era of rap.
I dunno man, the '80s can give the '90s a real hard run for the money. Run-DMC, Fat Boys, NWA, Eazy-E, LL Cool J, DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, Kurtis Blow, Sugarhill Gang (who really started it all!), Grandmaster Flash & the Furious 5 (pioneers!), Ice-T, Public Enemy, EPMD....the list goes on and on.

I dunno man, the '80s can give the '90s a real hard run for the money. Run-DMC, Fat Boys, NWA, Eazy-E, LL Cool J, DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, Kurtis Blow, Sugarhill Gang (who really started it all!), Grandmaster Flash & the Furious 5 (pioneers!), Ice-T, Public Enemy, EPMD....the list goes on and on.
Sooo many good ones in the 80s.....Erik B and Rakim, Slick Rick, Biz Markie, Kid n Play, Kool Moe Dee, KRS-One, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, Kurtis Blow, MC Lyte, Run DMC, LL Cool J, Big Daddy Kane....it's a very long list.

Was Sabotage a 90’s release? If so we need to add it to the list!
Also can anyone else update the playlist?

Was Sabotage a 90’s release? If so we need to add it to the list!
Also can anyone else update the playlist?
yes! 1994 iirc. Doesn't look like we can.

Back