This makes me sick...

jefrazie

Reaction score
Handicap
13.9 OOB
I worked my tail off in college with the hopes of one day getting a decent paying job and supporting a family. I spent countless hours and many sleepless nights in labs doing classwork. After all my hard work, I was finally rewarded with a degree in engineering and a job right out of college. Browsing espn just a minute ago, I came across this article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...758/kemba-walker-recently-read-his-first-book

This guy is going to GRADUATE with a degree. I guarantee he will make more money than I ever will. It just makes me sick to my stomach.

That's my rant for the day. (Peter Griffin: Know what really grinds my gears?...:D)

That is disgusting! I hate crap like that. I hope he doesn't get drafted.

I don't know it that is all that objectionable. He did well enough to get enough credits to graduate. I'm not going to jump all over a kid because he doesn't read for pleasure.

That is disgusting! I hate crap like that. I hope he doesn't get drafted.

ESPN has him as a top 10 choice, anothr site I looked at, #13 he'll get drafted and make lots of $$$$ it is really sad!!

It shouldnt surprise anybody stuff liks that has been going on forever. You know who's fault it is ours, Because we continue to pay crazy prices to attend a sporting event. Thats why I dont go any more. If it isnt free it isnt for me.

I don't know it that is all that objectionable. He did well enough to get enough credits to graduate. I'm not going to jump all over a kid because he doesn't read for pleasure.

I have two thoughts on this.
#1- If he chooses to not read books but is able to compete his classwork I don't really care
#2- If (as alluded to) there is some question about his ABILITY to read then I have a huge problem with it

This is less because of how hard I worked to get through school and more because if you can graduate with a BS degree in anything and not be able to read proficiently- what does that say regarding the american education system, and the value a "BS" degree has.

I'm fairly sure in a more liberal arts type major, they like to have you read books. How did he make it through all 3 years without ever reading a book? Let alone the fact that he didn't read one for the previous 18(?) years of his life! Grrr. :wtf:

Just to be clear, he said he didnt read a book cover to cover, not that he didnt read. I think we all did that during college, you read what you need to as there is just so much material to cover. He also talks about the importance of getting his degree even though he will be filthy rich, so he seems to be taking it seriously.

I agree completely with this. The system failed, not the person.

I don't like it either, but at the same time, he met (or will meet) the requirements for a degree. I think that's far, far better than the kids who enable the NCAA farce of playing basketball for one season just to jump to the draft. They basically don't have to go to class, ever.

I agree completely with this. The system failed, not the person.

I fully agree with this statement. It's not the person failing, it's the system. I didn't mean for this to be an attack on Kemba. He can play ball very well.

I don't like it either, but at the same time, he met (or will meet) the requirements for a degree. I think that's far, far better than the kids who enable the NCAA farce of playing basketball for one season just to jump to the draft. They basically don't have to go to class, ever.

What does that say about the requirements of the degree then?

I'm not suprised....I think the book he read was rather ironic though.

I'm fairly sure in a more liberal arts type major, they like to have you read books. How did he make it through all 3 years without ever reading a book? Let alone the fact that he didn't read one for the previous 18(?) years of his life! Grrr. :wtf:

He never read the book cover to cover. If I didn't read for pleasure I wouldn't read a textbook cover to cover. Find what you need and move on.

PS. I'm graduating with a Masters in 3 weeks.

He never read the book cover to cover. If I didn't read for pleasure I wouldn't read a textbook cover to cover. Find what you need and move on.

PS. I'm graduating with a Masters in 3 weeks.

I understand what you're saying about textbooks. They are reference material. But did you not read an entire book in grade school when doing a book report or something similar? I just don't understand how this could be accomplished without reading an entire book.

He probably read the book How to be a Millionaire for Dummies

Oddly, I don't have a problem with it. Kemba Walker wasn't at UConn for a degree. He was there to play basketball, put UConn on national TV, and make money for the university. All accomplished.

I understand what you're saying about textbooks. They are reference material. But did you not read an entire book in grade school when doing a book report or something similar? I just don't understand how this could be accomplished without reading an entire book.

Most likely I think that it's an exaggeration. I bet he read Green Eggs and Ham or something equally ridiculous. I'm sorry to say my junior year of high school our English teacher had us watch "Romeo and Juliette" the movie instead of reading the play. Similar things happened in other classes. His excuse was that he didn't have the time for us to read the play. I will agree that the system is failed. I hope we don't have to throw any more money at it.

Most likely I think that it's an exaggeration. I bet he read Green Eggs and Ham or something equally ridiculous. I'm sorry to say my junior year of high school our English teacher had us watch "Romeo and Juliette" the movie instead of reading the play. Similar things happened in other classes. His excuse was that he didn't have the time for us to read the play. I will agree that the system is failed. I hope we don't have to throw any more money at it.

How is the system broken? Do you think he was actually there to learn and earn a degree?

How is the system broken? Do you think he was actually there to learn and earn a degree?

Probably not. But the school shouldn't reward him with a (huge to some people)sociology degree just because he can put a ball in a hoop.

Hmmmmm. I did very little if any reading during undergrad (and my grades reflected it). I busted my butt for the LSAT (at least on the 3d try), and during law school.

I think we all rise to the level that life demands of us. That's why most major college athletes major in stuff like 'how to not get in trouble with the law and lose your scholarship' and 'basketweaving.'

My senior year of undergrad, I took some basics of nursing intro course or something. It had nothing to do with medical science or anything, and everything to do with how to be nice and make patients feel comfortable and happy. I went to 3-4 lectures and got an A in the course. It was awesome (and loaded with girls).

I'm not mad he never read in book in college. That's just college for decent chunk of america.

Probably not. But the school shouldn't reward him with a (huge to some people)sociology degree just because he can put a ball in a hoop.

As much as I agree that his "degree" is a joke, they could award him a degree in Pre-Med. He isn't going to be a doctor any more than he is going to be a sociologist.

I would say the entirety of the system is broken. I fully understand that he didn't go to UCONN to get his degree. I am impressed that he had the gumption to get it done though. So much of the education system is jumping through the proper hoop at the correct time.

Comparing test scores to other international standards shows that Americans under achieve. A lot of that has to do with the teachers, a lot has to do with the parents, a lot has to do with the kids. It's a system-wide breakdown.

I was embarrassed by the type of "academic" work my fellow students were turning in the first semester of graduate school. Most didn't know how to write professionally, do research, or even cite sources. Sure everyone had a degree, but they couldn't stand on their own.

This is a strange topic because he did what was required to graduate, but can you consider it an education? I don't know if I can answer this question.

Back