Thinking about dropping driver

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I run a minimalist setup. My current setup is driver, 3H, 6i, 8i, PW, SW and putter. Im thinking about dropping my driver and adding a 3-wood. The reason for that is because my driver is a bit of a one trick pony in that I can really only hit it off of the tee. Im thinking that if I swap out the driver for a 3w, it would be a club that I could hit off the tee and off of the deck. Not to mention it would probably be a more accurate club.
I realize that I might be giving up a bit of distance off the tee but I also feel like I might be gaining a more versatile club at the top of the bag. Thoughts?

well, I am not as minimalist as you but in spirit I'm with you. My finding is that the 3w I don't have as much confidence in as my large headed driver. So I go Driver then jump to the 3h. before I got to this point I had a 4w in the bag but I found I did not pull it on the tee and the 3h takes bit numbers more out of play. I can be laying on the fairway and hook or push a 3w ob. Not as long with the 3h but generally keep it near fairway.

Kind of like this- I can screw up a tee shot with both the driver and the 3w but if I nut the driver it is at least 30yards longer for me.

Following with interest, in part because of your "accuracy" comment. The bag of clubs I was gifted did not include a 3-wood. In a conversation I had elsewhere, somebody suggested that, as a new golfer, it would be wise to leave the driver in the bag or wear hiking boots, because I'd probably be spending a lot of time tromping through the woods looking for my ball. Suggested I tee with a 3-wood, instead. Conversely: My neighbor advised "Just keep practicing with your driver at the driving range until it does your bidding."

just learn to hit driver off the deck, imo. problem solved.

:cool:
Im not a long-hitter, so Im not sure that I have enough clubhead speed to get it up in the air off the deck with the driver.

Following with interest, in part because of your "accuracy" comment. The bag of clubs I was gifted did not include a 3-wood. In a conversation I had elsewhere, somebody suggested that, as a new golfer, it would be wise to leave the driver in the bag or wear hiking boots, because I'd probably be spending a lot of time tromping through the woods looking for my ball. Suggested I tee with a 3-wood, instead. Conversely: My neighbor advised "Just keep practicing with your driver at the driving range until it does your bidding."

back 30 years ago, It think a 3w made a ton of since. Now with the huge head I'm not sure.

You carry 6 clubs. Why not just add a 3w

Thats kind of the old adage. The thinking has always been that the 3w has a shorter shaft and more loft, so its easier to control and hit it straight. Some people, when they are starting out, only hit irons until they can hit those well, then they only hit irons and hybrids, then they only hit irons, hybrids and fairway woods until they transition to where they can hit their full bag.

You carry 6 clubs. Why not just add a 3w
I count 7:
1.) driver
2.) 3H
3.) 6-iron
4.) 8-iron
5.) PW
6.) SW
7.) putter
Am I missing something here? 🤷‍♂️

That doesn’t change the question though.
Fair enough. I guess the answer is because I dont want to. I feel like it would add waste to my bag and a club that I seldom use.
I don't feel like I need a driver AND 3w.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't know who mentioned it to you, but I'm personally against that kind of thinking. You're going to need to hit a driver at some point. Might as well get used to the look and feel of it, what it can and can't do for you, and all the rest, right from the jump, in my opinion. It's a pretty important club to just ignore. Maybe get a high lofted one, or a shorter one, so you can find the fairway some, but don't just ignore it and think you're going to be able to pick it up at some magical 'I'm ready' moment and crush it if you've never used it.

On topic, if I were playing a minimalist set like that, I'd skip the driver too. Or more likely, I'd keep it, swap the 3H for a 2H, and the 6i for a 5i. So I could mash off the tee and still be able to lean on the 2H when I need a big fairway shot.

With all that room in the bag, I'd keep the driver, and still add the 3w. Best of both worlds.

Drivers can come in real handy when needed. I used mine the other for a choked down, low runner, near 170 yards. I was a little behind, and under a tree. I needed a low, and long shot to the green.

Also learning to hit the 3w off the turf will take some learning. Some of that learning can be applied to help learn to hit the driver off the turf.

I’m intrigued by the minimal bag though I like a full Arsenal. That said - I think you COULD just add a 3W without really adding waste to your bag?

Last time I played (I had been wilder than usual with driver) I decided to use my 3W until I got to the par5 (fifth hole). Thinking by then I’d be loose and in a groove. Smashed a nice driver. Which is nice on a 500 yard hole.

That said I get you’ve got a plan here and in that spirit I suppose I’d go 3W for versatility in a minimal bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m intrigued by the minimal bag though I like a full Arsenal. That said - I think you COULD just add a 3W without really adding waste to your bag?

Last time I played (I had been wilder than usual with driver) I decided to use my 3W until I got to the par5 (fifth hole). Thinking by then I’d be loose and in a groove. Smashed a nice driver. Which is nice on a 500 yard hole.

That said I get you’ve got a plan here and in that spirit I suppose I’d go 3W for versatility in a minimal bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'm glad to see you get the point of minimalism and why I dont want to just add a club.
I'm really starting to think that a strong 3w might be the ticket.

Thanks. I'm glad to see you get the point of minimalism and why I dont want to just add a club.

I would definitely think that you would need to find a Strong 3 that you can hit off the Fairway and off the Tee. Hitting it off the fairway with a stronger lofted 3w can be challenging for some. I have had great success so far this season with the Cobra Speedzone 3w playing at 14.5 degrees. Previously, I struggled to hit a 16 degree 3w off the fairway.

I would definitely think that you would need to find a Strong 3 that you can hit off the Fairway and off the Tee. Hitting it off the fairway with a stronger lofted 3w can be challenging for some. I have had great success so far this season with the Cobra Speedzone 3w playing at 14.5 degrees. Previously, I struggled to hit a 16 degree 3w off the fairway.
Yeah, it might be wise to get an adjustable 15 degree and then lower the loft a bit as I gain confidence hitting it off the deck.
I've found a few used Titleist 913FDs on Ebay that are reasonably priced.

Yeah, it might be wise to get an adjustable 15 degree and then lower the loft a bit as I gain confidence hitting it off the deck.
I've found a few used Titleist 913FDs on Ebay that are reasonably priced.

And I understand and appreciate the minimalist approach.

You answered your question with the correct answer. A 3+ would be ideal. Tee and fairway.

Alright you guys (and myself) talked me into it. I just pulled the trigger on a used Titleist 913FD 13.5 degree. I figure that I can always adjust it up to 15 degrees if need be or down as low as 12.75 degrees.
It should be almost like a mini driver.
While I was there, I also scored a Titleist Bullseye with a Mobil pegasus engraved into the face, so, yay for vintage clubs.
Now I just have to hope that the clubs arrive here before I leave for Arcadia Bluffs on July 1st.

I remember a few years ago when I was carrying my clubs trying to save weight. Didn't see all that much difference in score.
D
3h
5i
7i
9i
pw
putter

I can put a 3W in the woods, too. But for all the talk of 13.5 degree 3Ws, I'd stick with a 15.5 degree 3W. It's easier to hit off the deck, and it's not the much shorter off the tee. I love my Cobra F9 Speedback 3W. Unless you have a SS well over 100, a 13.5 degree is going to be a one trick pony off the tee. If you're in the mid-90s like me, you'll like a 15.5 degree better.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
It is like I tell my buddy, learn to use the driver and don't keep it in the bag all the time and not use it. He is finally starting to get some nice drives and is realizing the place for the driver. Even an extra 10-20 yards further than the 3 wood can be crucial on certain holes as it can often setup the best second shot.

Back