The Quit Smoking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SethO

IXOYE
Reaction score
I am hooked on nicotine. Smoking makes me feel like absolute crap and I know I am slowly killing myself with every puff. I have devised a plan to quit smoking. Basically, what I am going to do is, for every smoke I have, I am going to take a club out of my bag for a week and give it to my father to lock up in his office at work. I will start with my driver and if I still take a puff within that week, I will take all my wedges out.

That is the punishment. The reward is that, if I go an entire month without a smoke, I will buy myself 3, brand new, Cleveland CG15 wedges. After that I will need to think of a reward for going another 2 months of non-smoking.

My grandfather and mother both died of cancer. I need to do every thing I can do to avoid getting that dreadful disease.

Last edited:
Great plan Seth. It's smart to have someone who can hold you accountable in your moments of weakness - your dad will be great ally.

I quit smoking 18 years ago, before I got married. We both wanted kids and I didn't want to start my married life and a family with that addiction. I used a nicotine patch and my fiance/wife was very supportive.

Good luck and here's to seeing three new wedges in your bag soon!

Great plan Seth. It's smart to have someone who can hold you accountable in your moments of weakness - your dad will be great ally.

I quit smoking 18 months ago, before I got married. We both wanted kids and I didn't want to start my married life and a family with that addiction. I used a nicotine patch and my fiance/wife was very supportive.

Did the nicotine patch help? I have some nicotine gum, but it doesn't help all that much.

Good for you Seth. I know how difficult this is going to be. Just remember - it will get worse before it gets better, but you can get through it.

I quit smoking 18 months ago, before I got married. We both wanted kids and I didn't want to start my married life and a family with that addiction. I used a nicotine patch and my fiance/wife was very supportive.

18 months or years?

Did the nicotine patch help? I have some nicotine gum, but it doesn't help all that much.

It sure did. I started with a large patch once a day. It gave me that morning buzz. IIRC, every two weeks I'd apply a smaller and smaller patch until I didn't need one anymore. The patches are much more accessible nowadays - aren't they OTC now?

Another thing that helped was that I quit drinking coffee. My "breakfast" each day would be two cigarettes and a thermos of coffee during my 1-hour commute to work. I knew that if I continued drinking coffee each morning that I'd miss those two cigarettes.

Again, good luck. If you want to do this, you can.

Good luck Seth. Great motivators you decided on! It's great you figured a way to tie this to golf. My wife just got past 100 days. I'm at almost two years since I quit chewing (herbal chew helped me out - - - herbal smoke is not exactly legal! hehehe)

FWIW, the gum worked well for me in the past. I went back to smoking, but it was my stupidity, not the gum. I have also used the patch, but it made me itch.

No matter what, you are going to be borderline crazy for a week. I liked the gum because I could chew it when I had a craving. It gave me a substitute. The 4mg was a must for the first couple weeks. Also, make sure you chew it right. Chew it a few times until its gets tingly and pack it in your lip like a dip.

Wellbutrin (aka Zyban) also worked very well for me. Probably the best out of everything I have tried. It took about two weeks, but after that I didn't even have the desire. Again, my long term quitting strategy is lacking, but it worked to get me stopped for almost two years.

Good on you Seth. :banana: :banana: :banana:

You're going to enjoy those wedges.

Believe me you can quite it not easy but can be done. I know I was a 4 pack a day smoker I quite about 20 years ago, had to go to the doctor with a really bad chest cold they did a chest X-ray. Few days later I got a call that the doctor needed to speak with me he told me they had found a possible spot on my lung and that it could be cancer. I had some additional test done it turned out negative but that was the incentive I needed to quite, I quite the day the doctor talk with me cold turkey.

Good luck to you and keep in mind the cycle can be broken it's tough but you can do it. Enjoy the new wedges.

good luck seth addiction is a nasty beast. make up ur mind that ur not gonna do that and DO NOT go back. good luck.

I am very fortunate that I have never been addicted to anything but I am witnessing 1st hand just how hard of a habit smoking is to break. Congratulations to you for your courage and motivation to quit and I wish you all the luck in the world! I look forward to hearing how your progress is going. Maybe you will help motivate others to quit as well.

Good luck Seth. I went between smoking and chewing tobacco for more than a decade, more chewing then anything. The patch never worked for me but the Commit Lozenges kicked ass, I think it will have been 5 years next week.

Stay away from Cigars otherwise you will just become addicted to those. I waited about 2 years before I was comfortable smoking a cigar again.

Thanks all. I mostly smoke Black and Milds. I love cigars as well, but I have found that, to quit, I can't smoke anything at all.

Thanks for the kind words GG. I can only hope that others will be inspired to quit. I smoked a lot at paintball tourneys and I imagine that I influenced some younger people to pick up tobacco.

Seth :) That's a GREAT plan and I wish you luck!!

Good Luck Seth!!! I quit cold turkey almost 6 years ago after smoking 2.5 packs per day for 40 years. It can be done. When I wanted one, I would tell myself that I could wait another 15 minutes before I had the first one. In 15 minutes, the strength of the urge had passed. It got almost funny how hard my body would push me to gain control... fighting it off was tough for the first few days. After that, it diminished every day.

I know you can do it!

Thanks guys. I have a lot of will power and I am viewing this as a huge challenge. I know I will kick the habit.

On a different note, I took the Cleveland online wedge fitting and decided that I am going to go with 50, 54 and 58 degree wedges with mid bounce. Wednesday the 17th of February is going to be a great day for my bag and for my lungs.

Thanks guys. I have a lot of will power and I am viewing this as a huge challenge. I know I will kick the habit.

On a different note, I took the Cleveland online wedge fitting and decided that I am going to go with 50, 54 and 58 degree wedges with mid bounce. Wednesday the 17th of February is going to be a great day for my bag and for my lungs.

I like your ticker Seth :) It helps keep us all in the know :good:

Good luck to you Seth. I'm currently battling the same stupid addiction as yourself and like your plan. May have to do something like that myself.

I just did the same fitting SethO and got the same results you did. I'm already in the market for a 50* wedge so that's a no brainer. Instead of buying a new 56* SW I may have my 53* GW bent to 54* and have my 60* LW bent to 58* Definitely cheaper than having to buy all new wedges

Keep at it SethO. :clapp: In fact, you might find that with the extra cash laying around from not spending it on smokes, you'll be able to buy a club or two each month. Now thats incentive! I knew a guy who smoked 3 packs a day, quit, and bought a new pickup truck with the "left over" money as his reward!

I like your ticker Seth :) It helps keep us all in the know :good:

Glad you like it. It is not working though. I think that the pic is being hosted by THP and can't receive updates from where it actually came from. It should say 29 days today.

Good luck to you Seth. I'm currently battling the same stupid addiction as yourself and like your plan. May have to do something like that myself.

Quitting is quite hard, but my body feels so much better after a few days of not smoking. I have so much more energy.

I just did the same fitting SethO and got the same results you did. I'm already in the market for a 50* wedge so that's a no brainer. Instead of buying a new 56* SW I may have my 53* GW bent to 54* and have my 60* LW bent to 58* Definitely cheaper than having to buy all new wedges

That sounds like a good plan. I am so excited for Feb. 17th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back