The price of putters

I wanted to bump this one back up. It had so much great info and many opinions. Lots of new members, thoughts?

when I worked at golf galaxy we used to tell people about putter fittings. Most of the time people would never even consider it. Anyone out there gone through a putter fitting? Did you feel it was worth it?

Ooooo yeah this is a good thread. Look forward to some good new views on the subject!

when I worked at golf galaxy we used to tell people about putter fittings. Most of the time people would never even consider it. Anyone out there gone through a putter fitting? Did you feel it was worth it?

I went through one. Found out what length and lie angle works best for me.

JB, did you feel it made a big difference? When we would try to get people to go through the process they that it wasn't worth it. I think its just as important that your putter fits you as does your irons/driver.

ya so did i, IMO putters should be about the price of a fitting now(20$) and the fitting should cost as much as putters now(200$) haha fitting>putter itself

Being a newbie I got a putter that 1. was easy to align. 2. was affordable for me.

When I bought my putter I was ignorant to anything about offset, blade/mallet, length, lie, and well anything really!!

But I can roll a putt, it's one of the strongest parts of my game. Chipping, not so much. Pitching or flopping I avoid all together because I just don't have the confidence not to skull it 300 yards back to the tee box, but once I get on the green I know I'm gonna make it, and if I don't then I know I'm gonna make the next one. It's all mental to me.

I'm sure I look a fool. I use the claw grip, and my teachers dad taught me a trick to tip your wrists outward a bit to keep your putter from wobbling, but I don't really think too much about mechanics when I putt. I just Happy Gilmore it and say "Go Home!!"

So to get back on topic as to why I bought the putter I did, I simply didn't know better. But it's now my putter, and it's not going anywhere....

JB, did you feel it made a big difference? When we would try to get people to go through the process they that it wasn't worth it. I think its just as important that your putter fits you as does your irons/driver.

It did, I now know exactly what lie angle to look for in a putter.

I was just talking to Gray about this issue today. I saw a video online about the importance of a proper fitting. I want a new putter but I have no idea what length or lie angle I need. I think I will ask my instructor if he will fit me for one tomorrow. I am very interested in trying out a Seemore because of the alignment aids. I like a blade putter and want to get something that I will keep for many years.

I think good putters would putt well with almost any putter. Putting has more to do with feel and technique.

After putting with some "nicer" "higher end" putters over the last few years, I firmly believe that putters are way over priced. I think they are more of a status symbol for some people.

The only putter that I've tried that I can say has actually made me, someone without the greatest technique and green reading abilities, a better putter is the Boccieri Heavy Putter. I have the A3 blade model. Its impossible to make anything but a smooth stroke with it, you simply can't jerk it around while making a competent attempt at a putt. Off center hits are fewer to be had, and truly almost unaffected by it. I could see how somebody who already has good skill and technique may not like it, but I feel it could be as good for most fellow hackers as it is for me.

I went through one. Found out what length and lie angle works best for me.

What goes into a putter fitting? What do they do to determine what fits you?

Is it something that is fit to your height and length of arms, or is it more dependent on your stance and technique?

Is it something that is fit to your height and length of arms, or is it more dependent on your stance and technique?

All of the above. It is NOT just based on the length of the putter. Lie angle is a huge aspect of it. You can listen to the Greenside Radio show from last month and Putterzone talks in depth about lie angle.

So if you were fitted for a putter, and they went through a major technique overhaul, would you need another fitting?

Possibly, but at the same time maybe not. It is no different than getting fit for clubs. If you make a huge swing change, you would want lie angles checked again of course.

I admit, I skipped pages 3 and 4 but after reading 1 and some of 2 I would just like to say that a brand new Scotty is about $300 and a brand new ghost will be about $159. Which one do you think the consumers here at THP would choose if they had their pick?

So yes, marketing can hype a putter, but it doesn't have to be pricey to get the hype.

Also, I think a putter can make a huge difference in how well you putt. I really like my Scotty, I really do. But I just love the Vicino. The shape of it. The balance. Even the insert seems like it does indeed promote a forward roll just like the ASGI insert claims to.

Someone said something to the effect of if you can putt, you can putt. It shouldn't matter which putter. I could be misunderstanding them, maybe they meant a mallet is a mallet and a blade is a blade, and perhaps some if it is indeed mental, but I bet I can putt better with my spider than with my scotty. Seems like physics would say a big mallet would help with balance more than a blade.

But then again, maybe I could putt well with a blade and am just so used to mallets. Now I've confused myself... :banghead:

Personally... the best putter is a free Kia Ma! :)

JB

I wish you guys could test this subject.

Find some really good putters. Not great, but guys who score well in golf. Have them putt from 10 different spots on the green with different breaks and some straight on. Make them putt from each spot with about, I dont know, 3 or 4 different putters and see if the results vary.

I guess that really wouldn't tell you anything unless you have guys who put the same stroke on the ball everytime. Would it be possible to see if one insert does indeed roll the ball better than a milled face.

Or hey. What if you get some guys and make them putt blindfolded. Look at the hole to gage distance and then blindfold and putt with different putters. Not really trying to make it, but just getting a feel for the... feel. Then take off the blindfold and see if they say a maxfli putter felt better than a scotty. Ha! That would be pretty funny.

Ummm we did test putters. Check out our Putter Shoot Out we did last year.

We also pulled the wool over the eyes of testers in our Cleveland Classic putter review with many really good putters and they swore they were putting with a high end milled putter.

We also pulled the wool over the eyes of testers in our Cleveland Classic putter review with many really good putters and they swore they were putting with a high end milled putter.

True. I guess I pretty much did just describe the putter shoot out. Ha! My bad.

The blind fold thing would be funny to do with a lot of putters though. Kind of like how I want to trick my Dr. Pepper loving dad and rinse out his can and put Mr. Pibb in there to see if he notices.

The blind fold thing would be funny to do with a lot of putters though. Kind of like how I want to trick my Dr. Pepper loving dad and rinse out his can and put Mr. Pibb in there to see if he notices.

:laughing: I've done this with my girl friend and her precious Grey Goose, of course she couldn't tell the difference with it and smirinoff.

In a perfect world putter fitting would include high speed video of your stroke, which would include strike position, angle of the blade, stroke path( arched or SBST) stroke distance & hand position.
This info would help in determining the style/design of putter which suits you the best- It's a hell of a lot easier to buy a putter that fits, than it is to change you stroke to suit a putter that you like the look of......
Kari

Back