The Official Driving Range Session Thread

One thing that I have been doing lately is pretending to play imaginary holes and shot each shot that I would that way the first tee shot isn't so bad!

One thing that I have been doing lately is pretending to play imaginary holes and shot each shot that I would that way the first tee shot isn't so bad!

I'm going to try this tonight actually. I have a tourney Saturday at a local course so I'm going to bring an extra scorecard to reference distances and "play nine".

Went to the range over lunch today and split a bucket with stlgolfer.

During my round on Tuesday I was spraying my driver everywhere from a straight pull to a push slice. Late in the round (about #15) I got things straightened again, so today I wanted to focus on what I felt on 15 brought things back into line. I was definitely letting my right arm get away from me again - both with elbow lifting away from my body and then being too active in the downswing.

Pulled it together today and was seeing some of the best driver trajectories I've ever been able to hit. I could definitely tell that I was finally getting some backspin to the ball, and had several dead straight and on target with 220-240 carry.

So today was the first range day since my last round which was last Monday. I hit the ball the best i have all year that round i just couldnt putt or it could have been a career day. Anyway i been dreading "losing it" since the weather and work has kept me from hitting and you guessed it today was horrible. But i have a question for you guys how much does fatigue effect your swing? i have been fighting some stomach bug type issues for a week now and havent eaten all that great and felt pretty weak. Plus i worked all night till 7am slept a few hours got up and went to the range. It really felt like i was swinging in mud, just a horrible range session which sucks cause im supposed to play a nice course in the morning.

I dont want to use excuses but man i hope it was just a fatigue issue.

Like any sport or activity, fatigue can have a dramatic impact on your performance. Things that you normally do without thinking about them get lost easily.

Ever wake up exhausted and have trouble with simple morning routine things like making coffee or shaving? Same concept.

Like any sport or activity, fatigue can have a dramatic impact on your performance. Things that you normally do without thinking about them get lost easily.

Ever wake up exhausted and have trouble with simple morning routine things like making coffee or shaving? Same concept.

yea hoepfully tomorrow is better with some rest and good nutrition.

Went to the range over lunch today and split a bucket with stlgolfer.

During my round on Tuesday I was spraying my driver everywhere from a straight pull to a push slice. Late in the round (about #15) I got things straightened again, so today I wanted to focus on what I felt on 15 brought things back into line. I was definitely letting my right arm get away from me again - both with elbow lifting away from my body and then being too active in the downswing.

Pulled it together today and was seeing some of the best driver trajectories I've ever been able to hit. I could definitely tell that I was finally getting some backspin to the ball, and had several dead straight and on target with 220-240 carry.

Who is this guy?? Kiddddding! We both had a good session. I'm having to put in work to keep up with him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hitting the range tommorow for the first time!

Hitting a bucket today after laying off 2 weeks due to injury. Irons felt good, but still sliced the driver.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Hit a club for the first time in 8 months, expected to much and shanked/topped/ whiffed everything. In my last 20 balls is when I made somewhat solid contact.

Driving range yesterday - worked on 3w, driver, and a bit of 9 iron for warm-up / cool down.

I was hitting my 9 iron quite nicely until i tried taking full swings, then it was a mixed bag. I was hoping for a better start than that, and I kinda dreaded what my 3w would be like, especially after the dreadful showing in my last round.

Pfffft, I was hitting balls high & straight! Off the turf!!! Where the heck was that on Sunday?

As usual, I fell into a rut of push slices after 5 or 6 swings, so I pulled out a tee and....more high and straight! Again, totally unlike my last round.

Hit some fair to middling to decent shots with the Driver, then finished with a couple of (for me) bombs. Yeah!

Last few shots with the 9 iron were like the first few (mixed results).

I think that in the future, I'm going to limit the number of consecutive reps with a given club, since it appears my swing starts to break down after 5 in a row. If I feel I need to improve something, I'll make a mental note (or even start bringing a note pad with me) and work on it after I hit a couple of other clubs.

I went to the driving range after work today to practice what I'd learned in my lesson last week. Unfortunately, I didn't figure out that I was allowing my left wrist to cup a huge amount soon enough. Got called off the range due to lightning, but got some good results keeping that wrist flatter at the top.

Had a terrible range session. Idk if this has ever happened to anyone but I just felt like I had no clue how to hit the ball. I normally have like 1 swingthought but even that was too much. Went over to the pitching and chipping green and (normally the best part of my game) did terrible as well. Never want that to happen again. Especially since IM going to be golfing 5 times over the next week.

I really focused on my ball position today. Worked with the woods and hybrids a TON, because these pulls and snap hooks have wore my patience thin. Found that I have been standing entirely too far from the ball. Found a nice comfort zone and started hitting the ball very well. Also took JB's advise and added some loft to the 910 and really liked what I saw there. Just need to take it to the course. Very pleased with today.

Hit a large bucket today. Had a great start to the bucket, progressed from PW through my 3H with good shots throughout the bag to that point.

During the shots with the 3H, I think I started to get tired. A string of errant shots came into the picture. I caught myself coming off the shots a little bit and ending up on my heels instead of forward. I also caught myself starting to cast again.

I was able to recover, and I think it I'll take this away as a positive that I was able to detect what I was doing and correct it before the end of the bucket. No frustration crept in.

Had a good session the other day. A lot of mimicing Hunter Mahan (ie best swing on tour). Working on getting that flat swing and passive hands powered by body rotation.

Well I went to the range today for some redemption from yesterday, night and day difference, I was getting the ball in the air, hitting my normal distance, everything was going great. Even got my draw back.

Had a decent range session yesterday, but I need to stop hitting so many drivers it makes me lose concentration and then the hooks showup. I did hit alot of pitch wedges and I love that club, my swing seems dialed in to about 7 iron then it gets loose.

It was 99* today over lunch and I bought a range pass today to a actual course and not the practice facility frequented previously. Zoysia hitting areas, dedicated sand areas, 2 different two tiered putting greens that stimp the same as the course. VERY NICE compared to the previous place that had "fairway" hitting areas that were as high as the 2nd cut of rough, crap greens and horrible balls.

I hit 90 balls and did pretty good the first 80 or so, then shanked a couple and then just went to the sand area... Now to preface this, the reason I went to the sand is because last round I played, I had to hit out of the sand 3x and it resulted in 12 strokes... It was horrible, just horrible. I don't think I've ever practiced hitting out of sand, EVER. I threw down 30 balls in the sand and proceeded to top the first couple, hit a couple low fliers, etc... I was always told to not use the body as much on sand shots, get myself settled down in the sand and hit to a line right behind the ball and let the club to the job. Well, this sand and the sand I had trouble with are all hard packed, clay sand and this did not work to well. I tried to THUMP the sand and the ball would go 5 feet and roll back...

Adjusted my setup, got into position, and hit right under the ball, trying to barely take any sand AND, it worked great... Probably hit 25/30 out easy peesy lemon sqeezy.

I then re raked the sand and fluffed it up a bit, built up an area to practice THUMPING the sand a bit behind the ball and it worked great. I probably hit about 50 balls out of the sand and have a better expectation what to do when in different types of sand. This is something that I will probably continue to work on once a week. Felt great after this, even though I was soaked and had to wife off the grip after every shot.

I then putted for about 10 mins and just absolutly love the Metal X #7, it is such a great putter, puts a great roll on the ball and mishits result in great putts.

Extended range session -- wedges were solid from 50 to 115. Pretty much on each target. Irons were the usual mixed bag -- a mix of some beauties with the usual weaker toe misses. Fortunately, the X24s keep those playable. Still trying to find a hybrid swing: currently in the bag is an Adams A12 3H and I hit a number of very good shots. Miss with these is off the toe and a weak push. Unlike previous hybrid options, a couple of range sessions with the A12 without the dreaded hybrid snap hook! Promising.

Usual solid outcomes with the G15 4w and a very indifferent session with the S2 driver. I can confirm that increasing the loft from 9.5 to 11.5 has pretty much eliminated misses to the left while leaving distance about the same -- just more carry and less roll.

All in all, I guess I strike the ball with the consistency of a 12-13 hcp. Fortunately, I can normally putt -- averaging 30.4 putts per round this season.

Went to the driving range today for the first time in a couple of weeks. I've only been able to play twice the last 2 or 3 weeks, so it felt nice to get to the range. I hit about 150 balls, focusing primarily on trying not over-swinging. I've found that when I go full-tilt my ball-striking isn't as pure or consistent. I really like to get after it, so I have to force myself to take a step back and slow down. To help do this, I narrowed my stance a little bit, because I realized that my stance on all my clubs was getting a little wide. With a narrower stance, my swing feels shorter, more compact, and I'm making better ball contact. Hopefully this sort of thinking will translate to the course.

Had one of my best range sessions of the year yesterday afternoon. I had a few objectives in mind. One was fixing a push with my irons that had come about the last few rounds and the other was trying to overcome my nemesis hole that requires a fade off the tee or a really really high draw. My normal swing produces a draw, but I'm a low launch guy and am not able to get my tee shot over the trees that guard the corner. Previous attempts at a fade have resulted in UGLY double crosses, and of course there's OB down the left. Dont think I've parred the hole in over a month now.

A little bummed that our range is mats only from Mon-Thurs but our grass hitting area is pretty small so I know it needs time to recover. In any case, started off hitting some 100yrd wedges to warm up and was noticing the little push I saw in my last few rounds. I'm not a really technical/swing mechanics type of golfer so I just kind of work my way through things. I over corrected the push into a pull for a few shots and then it clicked for me. I was thinking about staying down through the shot and chasing the ball down the line with my club head. Whether or not thats what was actually happening I'm not sure, but my shots were straight and true. Worked my way up to 7i, and 4i, both of which I saw the same results with. Struggled a bit with the 4i at the end, but i'll chalk that up to swing fatigue. Quick break chipping and pitching for 10 minutes.

On to the bigger issue, trying to hit a cut for the 6th hole. I dont like hitting driver on this particular hole because should I hit it straight, theres a good chance it'll run through the fairway and OB. It only plays 410 so I can normally get away with my 4-wood. So I start out with a few simple swing thoughts: weaker grip (standard grip is really strong), a little more out to in swing and play the ball back in my stance a bit. Started off super inconsistent. Double crosses, huge slices, pushes, ect...ugly. Took another quick break to let my muscles recover a bit and shake out the frustration.

As I'm chipping around, I remember one little swing thought my old pro had mentioned in passing. It was keep my left hand below my right hand throught the swing. Obviously you have to release the club eventually but by focusing on on that thought I was able to delay the release enough to produce a fairly consistent fade. It also eliminated the huge double cross hook. I hit a number of these and found my "fairway" target on the range probably 70% of the time with most of my misses being right which is fine by me. If I can eliminate left on hole 6 i'm winning.

I was winding down and had 5 balls left. I hit a perfect fade, draw, fade with my 4-wood and decided not to temp fate and put it back in the bag. Hit the last 2 balls with my 55* wedge, hit one to 5 or so feet at the 50yrd flag and then one hopped my last ball into the 100yrd flag. Best way to end a range session!

I had an unusual experience at the range today. The place was relatively empty until a guy and a girl took the stall two behind me. No big deal. Until the women started instructing, encouraging and admonishing him with a just too loud a voice. After each shot there would be a "TURN YOUR HIPS!" or "GREAT FOLLOW THROUGH!" or "STOP CASTING!" type comment. The guy hit exactly one club the entire time, his driver. And he was swinging out of his shoes, grunting like a wild animal with every swing, literally ending up two steps in front of the tee with his follow through. At one point I look over and the guy is just drenched in sweat. Two gloves were used and discarded behind his bag. She had a pair of binoculars and they had some kind of portable swing measuring device near the tee. After every shot she would (after semi-yelling her instruction) run up to him and watch the ball with the binoculars and make some kind of comment in a voice that was too loud.

As I have a swing that is 'interesting' I feel that I get a pass making the following comment - this guy had one of the ugliest swings I've ever seen. Super upright, this weird across the line and correction move that made a big loop at the top, his swing tempo was of a guy on crack and he was intermittently hitting the ball upwards of 200 yards left then right (unintentionally...the 'instruction' and subsequent comments made it obvious these were misses). Hey, I'm the last person to judge another hacker's swing, but his lack of skill made the overly loud instruction almost embarrassing. It was distracting and weird.

I had a pretty decent session tonight. Started with the 8 iron down to my 4 iron. I was basically aiming at the flags and my goal today was to get it close. My 4 iron was on fire today getting it close to the flag about 185 or so within 10 feet or less. Funny thing is i couldnt hit my 4 iron last week on the coarse. Then I started with my shorter irons 9 through AW. felt really good tonight. Great ball contact and I havent hit fat or thin. I didnt hit my 3w or hybrids today. Now on to my driver. First one was ok hit about 265 with the roll. then the second one i hit it dead on with a little fade about 290 with the roll. After that I started slicing bad and hitting only about 220 to 230. I put the driver away. I must of got tired or something.mhope its just a fluke because im usually consistent with my driver. Afterwards I went to chip and pitch. Practiced from 25 yards to 10. I did decent but skulled a few shots but ohh well. Until next time. Tomorrow?

I've instituted some new range discipline. I've decided that to score consistently in the low- to mid-80s, I need to become a ninja inside of 75 yards. Turn 4 into 3; turn 3 into 2. So for the past two weeks, I've been hitting a minimum of 75% of my shots with the pitching wedge. I'll hit about 20 to 30 pitches of varying distances between 25 and 75 yards. Then I'll hit some full swing shots, still with the pitching wedge. Then I'll finish the bucket with whatever else I'm looking to work on.

Back