The Morgan Cup - Want to be a Tour Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not saying one way is right and one is wrong, but they are different. I will use this example. There are those coming to FL looking at this like a golf vacation. On Thursday, they will book rounds away from Reunion at one of the nice courses central florida has to offer. They wont worry about playing Reunion before the Morgan Cup because its just another round of golf with friends. Then there are those that would never think of going into a competition like this without getting a chance to have a practice round at the course. They would not even think about wasting the Thursday playing at Waldorf, OCN, Grand Cypress or somewhere else, because in the end, this is a free day to learn more about the course they are getting ready to play.

You may have just described me to a T. One T. I am going into this as a fun time. I will give my opponents putts and I will reward them for very nice shots. I am not worried about the winning or losing. I will have fun. If my opponent hits a great putt or chip I will give them the putt. This is who I am and I will not stray from who I am as a person over a competition.

**I workabilitied that post using Tapatalk**

I think there are quite a few that look at it like that man. Me included and anybody that has ever played with me knows that. I think the post I made above really shows that there is a large difference in mentality between the participants. Not in any way saying one is right and one is wrong, but it would be foolish for some to think that each person views it similarly. Its just not the case.

You may have just described me to a T. One T. I am going into this as a fun time. I will give my opponents putts and I will reward them for very nice shots. I am not worried about the winning or losing. I will have fun. If my opponent hits a great putt or chip I will give them the putt. This is who I am and I will not stray from who I am as a person over a competition.

Well said. I'd be a liar if I told you I didn't want to win but thats about 3rd on my list of priorities. I'm looking forward to having a blast, and that's goal #1.

I think there are quite a few that look at it like that man. Me included and anybody that has ever played with me knows that. I think the post I made above really shows that there is a large difference in mentality between the participants. Not in any way saying one is right and one is wrong, but it would be foolish for some to think that each person views it similarly. Its just not the case.

Well said. I'd be a liar if I told you I didn't want to win but thats about 3rd on my list of priorities. I'm looking forward to having a blast, and that's goal #1.

Very well said!!! I am glad to see you all see this event in this way. It is how it should be looked at in my opinion. Bravo!! :thumb:

I love this post. You will probably play great because you won't be pressing so hard and all tensed up! If you say the word tournament to me, my entire game changes from tension and nerves unless it's a scramble and I have help.

Hey guys, I hope everyone had a great weekend, Firebush is gone. We had a rough go 'round out there, she couldn't get the Jake Straight out of me for the life of her. She says she never ran into someone so thick headed and poor swinging at the same time. Sorry Firebush. :beat-up:

I ran into a real buzz saw in that higher flight in the Men's Club Championship, the winner of the "First flight" (next down from Championship) shot a 73-72 (+3 total) and won by a few, there were several guys that shot 75-75 ish as well. I went out and shot 82-77 to finish right in the middle of the pack (7th out of 14 guys in our flight). Saturday I also had a chance to go play a second round at a private club that we're considering joining, huge tees = no Jake Straight but the course is gorgeous and immaculately maintained. It's a pretty stiff test at 6700 from the tees we played (one up from the tips). I shot a 78 Saturday afternoon on that course. Here's a pic of that course, this is on the 11th hole from the area where I pulled a One-T and laid up to a number. (100) It's a nice place and might be my new club next year.

IMAG0132.jpg

All in all it was a decent weekend, Saturday's Club Championship round was frustrating because a couple of times I really screwed myself with a wedge in my hands that ended up costing me 4 strokes. A couple of late bouts with Jake Straight made it interesting but I was able to straighten her out a bit. Today's round could have been something really good, I was sitting -2 after the first 6 holes but didn't finish real hot.

I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone's weekend went and can't wait to get a couple more videos posted soon.

Sounds pretty solid though P4B. Just get some of those shots under control and you'll be puttintowinthematch!

I think that is true of course. I mean nobody likes to lose. I think that it is just a different mindset and the best example I could find was the practice round thing, which absolutely hits the nail on the head in my opinion. Some people would definitely not come down a day early to play and skip playing at Reunion to play a different course. They look at Thursday as a practice round to become familiar with the course and will use that to their advantage in the "competition". And then there are others that could care less. Already have tee times at a different course and are going to show up and play it without ever stepping foot on there despite having the ability to if they chose that route.

I think that is true of course. I mean nobody likes to lose. I think that it is just a different mindset and the best example I could find was the practice round thing, which absolutely hits the nail on the head in my opinion. Some people would definitely not come down a day early to play and skip playing at Reunion to play a different course. They look at Thursday as a practice round to become familiar with the course and will use that to their advantage in the "competition". And then there are others that could care less. Already have tee times at a different course and are going to show up and play it without ever stepping foot on there despite having the ability to if they chose that route.

I tend to agree with you here JB. I believe if I were part of this event I would use the days before to become familiar with the course I am playing if it is totally new to me. If I wanted to play other courses in the area, then I would extend my stay and play those courses after the MC was over. This way get best of both worlds.

I won't lie, when all of this was announced and the teams were prepared I was all about wanting to win. I was planning on treating it as a competition including getting some practice rounds in at reunion prior to the start of the morgan cup. However, once I got back from the outing I realized how much fun this week was going to be. I played with TC, Biggsy, and The Belbs at the outing and spent a lot of range time with Mr. Effin Bird, OneT, Yoccos, OEM, CG13, Coolbreeze. The outing really changed my mindset. I'm not playing a practice round on the grounds anymore because I want to just hang out and enjoy my time there. I still want to win, because nobody wants to lose, esp on camera, but getting down to FL and seeing some friends that I only see a few days a year just seems more important. There are also guys that I haven't met that I am looking forward to hanging out with.

I love this post. You will probably play great because you won't be pressing so hard and all tensed up! If you say the word tournament to me, my entire game changes from tension and nerves unless it's a scramble and I have help.

Cool! Every time we tee it up in the future, I yell TOURNAMENT time on the first tee :D.. I got ya now sweety pie :deadhorse:..

Seriously,,, you can beat yourself out of the box if you get in your own head playing in a tournament. The mind is a strong weapon either for ya or against ya and many times, I bet some of you have beat your selves, way before your opponent had the opportunity :thumb: Grin to win and let it rip :golf2:

I'm not giving anyone putts. Ike spoke out of line and will be dealt with. Drag putts if you really want a challenge.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Well who has a tee time for anywhere Thursday cause I wanna play and they guy I was supposed to be playing with is no longer playing so....... someone be my friend and invite me somwhere!

Well who has a tee time for anywhere Thursday cause I wanna play and they guy I was supposed to be playing with is no longer playing so....... someone be my friend and invite me somwhere!

JRod,
I know some people are still playing at Reunion for "practice rounds" and I know others are playing at different courses in the area. I think TC has a list of stuff if you send him a PM.

JRod,
I know some people are still playing at Reunion for "practice rounds" a round of golf with friends and I know others are playing at different courses in the area. I think TC has a list of stuff if you send him a PM.
A quick FIFY:

JRod and anyone else who is interested, there's a group of us playing Reunion on Thursday, originally it was sort of going to be everyone I think but that's not the case anymore but I know there are folks staying at Reunion and we're staying close to Reunion so it just pretty much made sense to play it.

The whole "practice round" thing is getting a little blown out of proportion, which is strange I know. Tee time arrangements have to be made by those staying onsite but that is being discussed I believe.

hey jrod - i have a plan in place - sending email tonight or tomorrow. for those guys that want to play reunion

A quick FIFY:

JRod and anyone else who is interested, there's a group of us playing Reunion on Thursday, originally it was sort of going to be everyone I think but that's not the case anymore but I know there are folks staying at Reunion and we're staying close to Reunion so it just pretty much made sense to play it.

The whole "practice round" thing is getting a little blown out of proportion, which is strange I know. Tee time arrangements have to be made by those staying onsite but that is being discussed I believe.

I heart you Puttin4Singles.

Puttin4practicerounds
I agree. Like I said, it is just a difference. Those that treat this as a vacation and want to soak in other courses in the area and those that did not even look at it like that because they have a chance to practice the course they are "competing" on a day or two later. Neither is right or wrong, just a different mentality. And I know the dude in tights from Fargo agrees, because we have had this conversation before. Right?

I hit some drives way offline today so Jrod could practice looking for The Belbs's and the Colonel's errant drives. He's a helpful fellow, but it takes experience and I want him to be prepared.

I heart you Puttin4Singles.
Right back at you buddy. Since we're on the subject, if you end up playing @ Reunion on Thurs let me know because I would love to enjoy a round with you.
Puttin4practicerounds
I agree. Like I said, it is just a difference. Those that treat this as a vacation and want to soak in other courses in the area and those that did not even look at it like that because they have a chance to practice the course they are "competing" on a day or two later. Neither is right or wrong, just a different mentality. And I know the dude in tights from Fargo agrees, because we have had this conversation before. Right?
Yes we have had that conversation and I see what you're saying. I just wanted to make sure to post that it definitely was not a sort of a deal that we can't have everyone from both teams involved in, that's all. It mainly came down to convenience and well yeah at first probably some to do with the competition, but from the beginning I was hoping for some fun relaxed golf with all Morgan Cuppers. The idea of some fun little side bet games and things like we did for our arrival round at the outing would be fun to me.

Right back at you buddy. Since we're on the subject, if you end up playing @ Reunion on Thurs let me know because I would love to enjoy a round with you.

Yes we have had that conversation and I see what you're saying. I just wanted to make sure to post that it definitely was not a sort of a deal that we can't have everyone from both teams involved in, that's all. It mainly came down to convenience and well yeah at first probably some to do with the competition, but from the beginning I was hoping for some fun relaxed golf with all Morgan Cuppers. The idea of some fun little side bet games and things like we did for our arrival round at the outing would be fun to me.

I will be playing Thursday and would enjoy a round with you very much. Side bets could be fun as well, I wasn't there for your thrusday rounds at the outing, but I do enjoy a wager or two.

I don't care where I just wanna hack it up with some THP'ers relaxed style.

PS Just call me Lefty I'm always down for some cash games.

The setting up of practice rounds has been pretty informal with seeing who wants to play when and nothing has been set up.

The only round nailed down is a wednesday am round with CG, myself and esox at reunion.

No other times or groups have been set up.

We are open to options and groups but several of us wanted to play Reunion ahead of time.

I'm looking at my Reunion rounds as practice rounds. I was assuming they would also be fun.

Kevin

I will be playing Thursday and would enjoy a round with you very much. Side bets could be fun as well, I wasn't there for your thrusday rounds at the outing, but I do enjoy a wager or two.

I don't care where I just wanna hack it up with some THP'ers relaxed style.

PS Just call me Lefty I'm always down for some cash games.
Nothing would be more enjoyable than losing my hard earned I.T. money to a Canuck with a lovely head of hair and a fellow Iowan. We'll see what comes up with the arrangements this week. I have tons of quarters and I'm not afraid to press, double press, triple press you name it!

I'm looking at my Reunion rounds as practice rounds. I was assuming they would also be fun.

Kevin

They will not be fun and you know it. From what I've heard, they don't allow styrofoam cup during practice rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back