The Morgan Cup - The Official 2012 Thread

Didn't get to bed until 1am last night...but Hawk and Cookie are right. Every waking moment is spent pondering....
I'm sure there will be many bad dreams ahead of forgetting clubs, showing up naked, pulling a Jim Furyk and not showing up to the event on time, etc...
Lots of pressure and hard work to put in between then and now...but at the end, lots of fun to be had.

Good thing its in the summer and a warm climate. You'll do just fine!

It's way too early to commit to a bag, but maybe you guys could share some of your initial thoughts on bag setups in this thread. I know some of you have alluded to what direction you'll be going in other threads. Maybe put up some snap decision decisions here to get the ball rolling.

It's way too early to commit to a bag, but maybe you guys could share some of your initial thoughts on bag setups in this thread. I know some of you have alluded to what direction you'll be going in other threads. Maybe put up some snap decision decisions here to get the ball rolling.

Without getting too deep in the subject, I am trying to decide between a 2 hybrid or a 3rd wedge. Right now I am leaning toward 51 55 and 60º wedges. I have built an array that I am very comfortable with right now and I am hesitant to change much.

Edit: J40 everything with Duel Pocked Irons. I am highly intreagued with what the process might be for the Bettinardi putter. I would love to have a DASS head anser that is 33" long and weighs 360 grams.

Sure thing. It's a bit tough for me as I'm seeing some changes in my swing speed right now and I'm not 100% sure how that will affect my thoughts on the top end of my bag.

Driver - TBD
Fairways - TBD, but I am pretty sure I will have at least one Mashie fwy in there
Hybrid - may not need one if the Mashie fwy is what I hope it is.
Irons - Likely the Black 5-PW
Wedges - Likely 588's - 46,50,54,58
Putter - In a dream world - NC Connoisseur Perfecto

Without getting too deep in the subject, I am trying to decide between a 2 hybrid or a 3rd wedge. Right now I am leaning toward 51 55 and 60º wedges. I have built an array that I am very comfortable with right now and I am hesitant to change much.

I would say with the courses you are going to play. The wedge would be a better option. From what I can tell about the courses, a 100yds and in is the going to be the name of the game.

If I had to select clubs today:

J40 445 Driver
J40 16* Fairway
J40 21* and 24* Hybrids
J40 DPC 5-PW
J40 52*, 56*, and 60* wedges
Bettinardi BB53 Belly putter

At this point shaft selection and committing to a belly putter are my biggest questions.

I would say with the courses you are going to play. The wedge would be a better option. From what I can tell about the courses, a 100yds and in is the going to be the name of the game.

Yeah? I have gotten really used to having 3 wedges in the bag not including the PW. Probably a good call.

Yeah? I have gotten really used to having 3 wedges in the bag not including the PW. Probably a good call.

I think if you have a solid 3 wood off the tee and a 3 iron you will be ok. From the pictures, I don't for see you going after many greens from over 210 out. They look pretty risky from that distance.

J40 445 Driver
J40 16* Fairway
J40 21* and 24* Hybrids
J40 DPC 5-PW

At this point shaft selection and committing to a belly putter are my biggest questions.

How close is your selection compared to your current setup? Do you own a belly putter currently or are you still rocking the conventional length?

How close is your selection compared to your current setup? Do you own a belly putter currently or are you still rocking the conventional length?

The set up is almost identical to my current set. The belly putter is another issue all together. I just picked up a belly putter last week and have rolled 100 or so putt with it so far. The thing makes me feel like I can't miss. The length also ensures I have to proper posture over the ball every time.

The set up is almost identical to my current set. The belly putter is another issue all together. I just picked up a belly putter last week and have rolled 100 or so putt with it so far. The thing makes me feel like I can't miss. The length also ensures I have to proper posture over the ball every time.

Gotcha, just makin sure you weren't making this a complete overhaul and you were going from SGI's to MB's when you've never hit one lol. As far as the putter, if it gives you confidence, go for it. If you don't have to make decisions prior to ever seeing the club in person, I'd wait till they get released and then try it at least in store just to make sure you like what you're seeing. Must be an awful tough decision to make haha

J40 445 Driver
J40 16* Fairway
J40 21* and 24* Hybrids
J40 DPC 5-PW

Howzat made typing this out VERY EASY for me as we are looking at the exact same setups. Of course, this is asusming that everything we see online, etc is made available but we have not been anything related to that as of yet.

More specific to the above is that I would like to have Prroject X 5.0 graphite shafts in everything except the wedges which will have the DG spinners. Also have to decide if the belly will be heel or center shafted - but it will be 43 inches.

It's one of those things you don't want to screw up! That's really where I'm at more than anything. I just want to make sure to pick the best bag to help me play as well as possible. Seems silly, but there's a lot of pressure in the picking!

I agree with you 100% Hawk. Really curious about the black and mashie irons. Plus we do not know what is going to be offered out of the Srixon line-up. As for putters, if we are going NC, then either the Dinero Exec, or the Connoisseur Portofino. As for the rest of my set-up, I just don't know. I don't think I will be carrying an extra wedge, but that is because I try to play to distances, and if I have to hit a 3/4 shot, I am confident I can. On the flip side of that, I may go with an extra hybrid or 2 depending on how I am feeling about the 4-iron. Honestly, I just don't know yet. Again, until I know what is going to be offered, the possible combinations are just to much to figure out right now.

I agree with you 100% Hawk. Really curious about the black and mashie irons. Plus we do not know what is going to be offered out of the Srixon line-up. As for putters, if we are going NC, then either the Dinero Exec, or the Connoisseur Portofino. As for the rest of my set-up, I just don't know. I don't think I will be carrying an extra wedge, but that is because I try to play to distances, and if I have to hit a 3/4 shot, I am confident I can. On the flip side of that, I may go with an extra hybrid or 2 depending on how I am feeling about the 4-iron. Honestly, I just don't know yet. Again, until I know what is going to be offered, the possible combinations are just to much to figure out right now.

Being a Cleveland/Srixon staffer just like Yorkem, I feel the same way as what I bolded above. Until I know everything that is out there, I won't really know exactly which way to go. However, I will say that I've played a driver, then 1 fairway wood, then 2 hybrids at the top of my bag and 4 wedges (pitching, gap, sand, lob) at the bottom end of my bag for over 2 years, I don't see that changing for the Morgan Cup. The lofts and types of clubs are TBD. One thing I will be doing early next year is getting a lot of practice in with the Srixon golf balls, I'm going to try to put those in play as soon as I can to get used to playing those well before the event.

I think if you have a solid 3 wood off the tee and a 3 iron you will be ok. From the pictures, I don't for see you going after many greens from over 210 out. They look pretty risky from that distance.

Great thoughts! I can get it to 110 out and knock a gap wedge and try to get the ball below the hole.

What I am really excited about is actually playing golf where it matters. I play in a league and stuff, but I have never played with cameras on me. The thought of that excites me very much.

Sure thing. It's a bit tough for me as I'm seeing some changes in my swing speed right now and I'm not 100% sure how that will affect my thoughts on the top end of my bag.

Driver - TBD
Fairways - TBD, but I am pretty sure I will have at least one Mashie fwy in there
Hybrid - may not need one if the Mashie fwy is what I hope it is.
Irons - Likely the Black 5-PW
Wedges - Likely 588's - 46,50,54,58
Putter - In a dream world - NC Connoisseur Perfecto

Like it.

J40 445 Driver
J40 16* Fairway
J40 21* and 24* Hybrids
J40 DPC 5-PW

That's rock solid right there.

It's one of those things you don't want to screw up! That's really where I'm at more than anything. I just want to make sure to pick the best bag to help me play as well as possible. Seems silly, but there's a lot of pressure in the picking!
Not silly at all. You don't want to get what's hot and exciting if it doesn't fit you. It's probably the most important decision we have to make.

Edit: J40 everything with Duel Pocked Irons. I am highly intreagued with what the process might be for the Bettinardi putter. I would love to have a DASS head anser that is 33" long and weighs 360 grams.
I don't think I'll go with a 58 or 60 unless I hear about a lot of mounds around the greens. That's really the only time I use those, on a downhill greenside chip.

I was just on the interwebs looking at the courses again. They look so beautiful. I would love to play there. You guys are going to have an amazing few rounds there!

Im really interested in the bridgestone gear and what the guys think ive been looking at there irons with great interest.

Im really interested in the bridgestone gear and what the guys think ive been looking at there irons with great interest.

It looks like I will get my first crack at swinging some J40 DPC's in a couple weeks. I will keep you posted.

Spent a bunch of time at Golfsmith, and they had zero left handed Cleveland clubs with the exception of a few wedges. Very disappointing. I guess I will check out Golf galaxy and see what they have in the next day or two. I really would love to try some of the Black line as well as the Mashie line.

Being a Cleveland/Srixon staffer just like Yorkem, I feel the same way as what I bolded above. Until I know everything that is out there, I won't really know exactly which way to go. However, I will say that I've played a driver, then 1 fairway wood, then 2 hybrids at the top of my bag and 4 wedges (pitching, gap, sand, lob) at the bottom end of my bag for over 2 years, I don't see that changing for the Morgan Cup. The lofts and types of clubs are TBD. One thing I will be doing early next year is getting a lot of practice in with the Srixon golf balls, I'm going to try to put those in play as soon as I can to get used to playing those well before the event.

Good thinking and same here!
I'm actually looking for a good, if not better fit than what i already have. I've been thinking about adding a hybrid actually, so I'll be taking a good look at the Mashies.

One thing I will be doing early next year is getting a lot of practice in with the Srixon golf balls, I'm going to try to put those in play as soon as I can to get used to playing those well before the event.

This sir is really quite smart. While I like the Srixon balls quite a bit, they have some interesting aspects to adapt to on different clubs. The more time you can spend with your chosen ball the better IMO.

This sir is really quite smart. While I like the Srixon balls quite a bit, they have some interesting aspects to adapt to on different clubs. The more time you can spend with your chosen ball the better IMO.

I agree completely. I have played the B330-RX some but yesterday morning I ordered the B330-RXS to see how it compares for me. For the longest time, I just bought the cheapest ball but I have really learned over the last 2 months what a premium ball can do for your game. After all, it is the one piece of golf equipment used on every single shot.

I sure do wish some places had the J40 lineup as I would have been there yesterday hitting everything but for now I can live through the reviews here and photos online.

Bettinardi craftsmanship leaves me simply speechless.

Tappin' from my iPad!

I love seeing how excited everyone is. It's gets me even more amped up than I already am. I'm really thinking about a ton of options with Bridgestone and Bettinardi.

The courses have me really excited as well!

Back