The Masters is in a slump

Best tournament of the year so far. Leaderboard was filled with big names all weekend. Tiger played all 4 rounds (not great but I'll take what I can get). Scottie proved again that he's the best golfer on the planet. Loved not hearing "get in the hole" or "mashed potatoes" every tee shot. Sign me up for more of this
This. It was an entertaining week.

I did hear “cowabunga” on a lot of Morikawa shots though haha
And they kicked that patron out.

Would say the masters is more about enjoying the last of the historic golf events. Enjoy it for what it is. It’s one event where all patrons and players are equal. There is no I’m better than you mentality. Everyone has an opportunity to experience the masters. It’s one of the last sporting venues that makes all people from any walk of life welcome. It’s great for growing the game. And shows many youths that you don’t need to be rich to play golf.That is what the masters always meant to me

its history and a fun tournament to watch,

I believe that yesterday on the back 9 6 players had a share of the lead. Sorry not boring.
Glad i read a post or two so i DONT HAVE TO REITERATE THIS........

I firmly believe people who think this masters was boring, are LIV focused energy vampires. God forbid theres a wee bit of tradition....
LONG LIVE LIVE the MASTERS. Hope they never change.

Glad i read a post or two so i DONT HAVE TO REITERATE THIS........

I firmly believe people who think this masters was boring, are LIV focused energy vampires. God forbid theres a wee bit of tradition....
LONG LIVE LIVE the MASTERS. Hope they never change.
I won't speak for others, but you could not be more incorrect about my view. I just found that the broadcast lacked the entertainment value that I used to get from The Masters. As I considered that thought on Sunday, it occurred to me that this felling is not unique to this year alone. I have fond memories of exciting Masters with multiple compelling personalities making great shots and topping one another through the back-9 on Sunday. It just hasn't really been the case lately. That's the slump I refer to. Slumps aren't by default a slight when pointed out. Great players go through them. My opinion is that The Masters is suffering through one now. Maybe they need a slump-buster to get out of it.

I won't speak for others, but you could not be more incorrect about my view. I just found that the broadcast lacked the entertainment value that I used to get from The Masters. As I considered that thought on Sunday, it occurred to me that this felling is not unique to this year alone. I have fond memories of exciting Masters with multiple compelling personalities making great shots and topping one another through the back-9 on Sunday. It just hasn't really been the case lately. That's the slump I refer to. Slumps aren't by default a slight when pointed out. Great players go through them. My opinion is that The Masters is suffering through one now. Maybe they need a slump-buster to get out of it.
Help me understand what that might be. I do t care about "personalities" making it fun. Good golf....makes it fun.

And they kicked that patron out.

Would say the masters is more about enjoying the last of the historic golf events. Enjoy it for what it is. It’s one event where all patrons and players are equal. There is no I’m better than you mentality. Everyone has an opportunity to experience the masters. It’s one of the last sporting venues that makes all people from any walk of life welcome. It’s great for growing the game. And shows many youths that you don’t need to be rich to play golf.That is what the masters always meant to me
I do agree that everyone has the chance to experience the masters (no matter how great those odds are of actually hitting the lottery). Not sure I agree with one of the most exclusive clubs in the world showing youths you don’t need to be rich to play golf.

Last edited:
The field was great. I think fans are just exhausted by the money bs.

I do agree that everyone has the chance to experience the masters (no matter how great those odds are of actually hitting the lottery). Not sure I agree with one of the most exclusive clubs in the world showing youths you don’t need to be rich to play golf.
It’s a perfect club to open their gates to anyone.Giving the underprivileged a go at this great game. Why I love golf

It was set to be a great afternoon, but everyone sort of chucked it away. Agree though - I quit watching when it became clear who was winning. To be fair, I was going out for Mexi food.

That's what I kept saying, "They're trying to hand you the tournament, Scottie! Go ahead and take it!" But I watched till the end because I already had my food.

It was a typical Masters, euphoric, serene, beautiful golf, all it lacked was somebody to challenge Scottie, but he was too good and the others not, end of story.

And it's time to stop with the ratings BS, people look really dumb proclaiming that knowing everyone streams now, the real ratings could have been through the roof.

I thought it was a great Masters just that there weren't a whole lot of the Sunday back 9 roars this year. Scottie was the only one making any birdies.

I thought the Masters was entertaining and with good coverage....

Maybe it's just me but, I feel like we saw a ton of new views of the Augusta during the broadcasts. There seemed to be much more than the usual tee shot, ball in the air and then seeing it bounce along a fairway. The layout, elevations and relationship holes had to one another was on display far more than in prior years' broadcasts and i, for one, really enjoyed it.

That nobody was able to chase down Scottie isn't his fault.... and this isn't the WWE with (spoiler alert) scripted results. I thought it was interesting that aside from Bryson's pretty incredible play early on, the LIV guys didn't hand out the wholesale butt-whoopin' that some anticipated. Yes, DeChambeau, Smith and Hatton were fairly solid, so good on them - well done - but i still don't care for LIV golf.

Overall, there were old faces, new faces.... a little bit of everything at the upper end of the leaderboard and i have no problem with that. The Masters... In a slump?? Nope, I can't really agree on that. As for the ratings drop.... i gotta say it. Obviously, Tiger wasn't even close to being in the hunt. If he were, ratings might have been +10% or more over last year. Nobody moves the needle like him. If anything, that's the worry.... finding someone that can (partially) fill his shoes from a ratings standpoint.

I've read through a good bit and I understand certain positions, but that doesn't make them the right ones.

This is one of the last tournaments that transcends the field or the "revenue" aspect that the other tour stops live and die on. The Masters has found a way to preserve tradition and still continue to test the best golfers in the world. I hope they never change.

In terms of the viewership, that is hard to quantify bc The Masters app probably had more eyes/viewers than the traditional broadcast. it also has made it easier to not have to be at home to watch. I for example was at the soccer pitch all Sunday afternoon and streamed the final round through my phone. I would venture to guess those numbers are being calculated with ratings and traditional viewing.

I would venture to guess those numbers are being calculated with ratings and traditional viewing.
I was going to ask something similar: do they factor in those who watch from other platforms/different forms of media?

Back