The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

It will be interesting to see how LIV plays out the next couple of years. With the Asian Tour now having big purses and being a stepping stone to LIV. That tour is going to be very competitive. That being said what happens if guys with guaranteed contracts level starts to drop? It's hard to imagine there won't be some guys who will play at a lower level now that the pressure is off and they've got guaranteed money. It's human nature. It will be interesting to see how they handle the studs that will in no doubt come through the Asian Tour. Do they keep giving starts to guys who just aren't performing or replace them with guys who are playing better.

It will be interesting to see how LIV plays out the next couple of years. With the Asian Tour now having big purses and being a stepping stone to LIV. That tour is going to be very competitive. That being said what happens if guys with guaranteed contracts level starts to drop? It's hard to imagine there won't be some guys who will play at a lower level now that the pressure is off and they've got guaranteed money. It's human nature. It will be interesting to see how they handle the studs that will in no doubt come through the Asian Tour. Do they keep giving starts to guys who just aren't performing or replace them with guys who are playing better.

I guess I don't fully understand this notion that because they got a big signing bonus, they all the sudden won't be competitive and will just show up and phone it in. A lot of these players already had millions of dollars before they joined LIV. Do Rory, JT, Speith, Tiger, etc. just phone it in at PGA events? They are all multi-millionaires with huge sponsorship deals and millions in career earnings, are we going to accuse them of phoning it in when they have a bad tournament now?

I guess I don't fully understand this notion that because they got a big signing bonus, they all the sudden won't be competitive and will just show up and phone it in. A lot of these players already had millions of dollars before they joined LIV. Do Rory, JT, Speith, Tiger, etc. just phone it in at PGA events? They are all multi-millionaires with huge sponsorship deals and millions in career earnings, are we going to accuse them of phoning it in when they have a bad tournament now?
I don't know how this is hard to understand. Look at every sport with contracts. How many times have we seen guys on contract years play great get a new deal and their level drops off? Kenny Gallady for the Giants one example. I am not saying everyone but absolutely you will see someones level drop off because they don't have to grind at practice as much.

I don't know how this is hard to understand. Look at every sport with contracts. How many times have we seen guys on contract years play great get a new deal and their level drops off? Kenny Gallady for the Giants one example. I am not saying everyone but absolutely you will see someones level drop off because they don't have to grind at practice as much.

So it's always because they just stop practicing and become lazy that their level in play drops? Never that they put more pressure on themselves to perform? Sorry, I just don't like sweeping assumptions like that.

However, to my main point, a lot of the players that signed the bigger contracts already had millions of dollars as they were the well known and higher ranked players. To assume that they are just going to phone it in now because they got a signing bonus just doesn't make sense to me. That's like saying Aaron Rodgers is just going to phone it in because he just signed a big contract.

So it's always because they just stop practicing and become lazy that their level in play drops? Never that they put more pressure on themselves to perform? Sorry, I just don't like sweeping assumptions like that.

However, to my main point, a lot of the players that signed the bigger contracts already had millions of dollars as they were the well known and higher ranked players. To assume that they are just going to phone it in now because they got a signing bonus just doesn't make sense to me. That's like saying Aaron Rodgers is just going to phone it in because he just signed a big contract.
"Never that they put more pressure on themselves to perform?" You made the same point I did. The pressure being off after the contract is what makes the difference. I also said it's not everyone. Different people have different motivations. I am just saying it will inevitably happen in my opinion that someone won't put the pressure on themselves to perform as much because they have more of a safety net. Also if Aaron Rodgers play drops this season after the contract it's likely because he's throwing to himself.

It is such a special thing to finish first out of a large field, whether the field be 54 or 125, that I don’t see anyone not feeling pressure to perform. It might be a different type of pressure, but there will still be pressure

It is such a special thing to finish first out of a large field, whether the field be 54 or 125, that I don’t see anyone not feeling pressure to perform. It might be a different type of pressure, but there will still be pressure
The $4M should also be sufficient incentive considering how these guys are allegedly all about the money. I shouldn’t even be rehashing this again, but these guys didn’t get to the position they’re in by just coasting along. They have the drive and they want to win. I haven’t found any argument that would convince me otherwise.

The $4M should also be sufficient incentive considering how these guys are allegedly all about the money. I shouldn’t even be rehashing this again, but these guys didn’t get to the position they’re in by just coasting along. They have the drive and they want to win. I haven’t found any argument that would convince me otherwise.
I'd also point out that they're not playing football or a sport where going 110% can easily lead to lifelong debilitating injury.

Is LIV playing enough? They are off enough that they seem to have lost some momentum. Or maybe it’s just me - out of site out of mind.

"Never that they put more pressure on themselves to perform?" You made the same point I did. The pressure being off after the contract is what makes the difference. I also said it's not everyone. Different people have different motivations. I am just saying it will inevitably happen in my opinion that someone won't put the pressure on themselves to perform as much because they have more of a safety net. Also if Aaron Rodgers play drops this season after the contract it's likely because he's throwing to himself.

I was more pointing out that production for some players drops for reasons other than laziness as you had implied in your previous post.

Anyways that's a different topic. I still don't get why it's only the LIV golfers that seem to have this notion their play will drop, but that the PGA Tour players who have made a ton of money from sponsorships and such won't fall off. To me, it's a ridiculous double standard. They've all made ridiculous amounts of money, but only LIV players will drop off because they got a signing bonus from LIV, which is no different than getting a signing bonus from say Nike or Under Armour.

I was more pointing out that production for some players drops for reasons other than laziness as you had implied in your previous post.

Anyways that's a different topic. I still don't get why it's only the LIV golfers that seem to have this notion their play will drop, but that the PGA Tour players who have made a ton of money from sponsorships and such won't fall off. To me, it's a ridiculous double standard. They've all made ridiculous amounts of money, but only LIV players will drop off because they got a signing bonus from LIV, which is no different than getting a signing bonus from say Nike or Under Armour.

It's a narrative that has been advanced by some PGA Tour members and supporters in an attempt to discredit those who signed with LIV. One can draw his or her own conclusions from it.

I am sure you will be able to point out and name those players who will just phone it in over time. Unlike a team sport they will have no where to hide.

A signing bonus from a sponsor has no effect on your membership in the PGA tour. Play poorly and you won't be on the PGA tour and those sponsors will say, "we've decided to move in a different direction."

Nobody's seen a LIV contract. Is there a standard of play that must be met?

I think McIlroy should probably not talk to the press anymore. 😂

“It’s going to be hard to stomach going to Wentworth in a couple of weeks’ time and seeing 18 of them there. That just doesn’t sit right with me. I feel strongly. I believe what I’m saying are the right things, and I think when you believe that what you’re saying is the right thing, you’re happy to stick your neck out on the line.” Rory McIlroy.

Last edited:
A signing bonus from a sponsor has no effect on your membership in the PGA tour. Play poorly and you won't be on the PGA tour and those sponsors will say, "we've decided to move in a different direction."

Nobody's seen a LIV contract. Is there a standard of play that must be met?

So it's the contract with LIV then that is going to cause all these top golfers in the world to just stop trying?

Is LIV playing enough? They are off enough that they seem to have lost some momentum. Or maybe it’s just me - out of site out of mind.
This might be a real issue. I think the signings brought some noise, but if they stop poaching big players (which they may) or having a long off season and large gaps between events and no tv contract it might lose some traction. Only time will tell.

I think McIlroy should not be talking to the press anymore. 😂

“It’s going to be hard to stomach going to Wentworth in a couple of weeks’ time and seeing 18 of them there. That just doesn’t sit right with me. I feel strongly. I believe what I’m saying are the right things, and I think when you believe that what you’re saying is the right thing, you’re happy to stick your neck out on the line.” Rory McIlroy.
I hear some people sent a box of LIV hats to Rory's house.

LIV could be coming to Tucson next year

1662074671520.jpeg

Come on man! We've seen it in every pro sport out there!!

My point exactly!

You're talking about where they WERE, rather than WHERE THEY ARE NOW!

Absolutely not! We've seen guys get fat and happy on Tour, and fall off the face of the earth. And not all of them have made ridiculous amounts of money. The only way you get to do that, is by being one of the top dogs.

Uh, Pat Perez for one.....

And Phil Mickelson for another! Yes, he's past his prime, but instead of going to the Champions Tour, he decided to cash in. Just look at his LIV tournament results! Are you seriously going to try to tell me that he is making a serious effort to compete?! Please!

If you don't allow for someone's perspective to change, there really is no forgiveness to be had for anyone. And that sucks.
Amen, changing your mind is not a sign of weakness.

Come on man! We've seen it in every pro sport out there!!

Absolutely not! We've seen guys get fat and happy on Tour, and fall off the face of the earth. And not all of them have made ridiculous amounts of money. The only way you get to do that, is by being one of the top dogs.

So answer this then. If it hasn't happened to those guys yet when they were on the PGA Tour, why all of the sudden will it happen now that they've signed with LIV and got a big signing bonus?

So answer this then. If it hasn't happened to those guys yet when they were on the PGA Tour, why all of the sudden will it happen now that they've signed with LIV and got a big signing bonus?
It won't. It just makes some feel better to call those guys money grubbing bums.

What I don't get is the anti LIV crowd seems to think LIV has to exist in a vacuum. Everything LIV has said, they way the LIV is set up today, the players they've signed, somehow has to remain as it is and stay uninfluenced forever.

I suppose it's a protective mechanism to pretend it isn't really happening. You know, "dead in the water" and all, but the truth is, it's happening.

Back