The Irish Lass Buys Her RoboSwing

It's the old swing hard in case you hit it. Trust the coach, Slim.

Kevin

It's the old swing hard in case you hit it. Trust the coach, Slim.

Kevin

I will. I even went digging through my golf books and found some drills to increase swing speed. So I'll work on those--assuming I can find a sow free spot outside.

Claire - You are so good about doing drills. I admire that.

Claire - You are so good about doing drills. I admire that.

Thanks. I can do anything if it's part of a routine. Inside drills are part of the morning routine, when I'm the only one awake. Outside drills will be harder to fit into my life, at least until it gets warm enough to do them at 6:00 am in my workout clothes.

Keep up the good work, Claire! I know, this game can get frustrating.

Keep at it Claire, BTW what is a "sow free spot"?

I think Claire is a pig farmer. I think she is talking about hitting only where the boars are. :clapp:

Hmmm, never heard it called that.

Have you gotten a chance to hit any balls outside of GT?

I went to the range Saturday afternoon--as did the rest of the world. The clubface was making square contact. That's the good news.

I went to the range Saturday afternoon--as did the rest of the world. The clubface was making square contact. That's the good news.

Square contact is very good. What's the bad news? I know you wrote you that you're working on swing speed - did you see any improvement in that?

Square contact is very good. What's the bad news? I know you wrote you that you're working on swing speed - did you see any improvement in that?

Not yet, but I've got drills. I want to be sure the downswing starts from my shoulders, instead of just throwing my hands at the ball.

After having spent, what, six weeks?, on stance, takeaway, and top, we've finally gotten to the downswing. This is where I stop throwing my hands at the ball and start swinging around myself.

Wow. I have work to do. He had me working with what looks to be (after an image search) the David Leadbetter Swing Setter.
mg6-18-56.jpg

Those two center balls are in two pieces. The upper half of each ball is fixed on the shaft; the other has a magnet attaching it to the fixed half. If you swing fast enough, the unfixed halves slide down the shaft to the next affixed ball. One magnet was light power; the other was heavy duty.

Oh--and the thing has a molded right hand grip. For someone with much larger hands than I. We worked around that part. But swinging that thing fast enough to separate both balls was hard work. I didn't manage it nearly often enough. It involved really moving the hips around, pointing my belt buckle and the butt end of the swing trainer along the target line, and flipping my wrists over, all at high speed. I can barely manage a swing thought and a half; I don't know how this will all come together.

Even when I got it all to work, I couldn't also get the wrists rolled over enough--I think the club face was open about 60 degrees. I hope everyone playing with me in June is taking notes--you'll want to duck whenever I tee off.

I get to do a lot of the wooshy shaft drill for the next couple of weeks. Although I don't see the point of buying most swing aids, I'm seriously considering popping for this Leadbetter one. I can see how it's useful.

I'm glad to hear you're still hard at it Claire. Let us know how you and the swing trainer get along!

I like the perfect connnextion swing trainer. Go with what builds consistant results. Now that I have pulled mine back out with the shag bag, golf is coming around again. I hate winter :angry: golf!!!

So I got to knock the ball around yesterday, and oh my. Changing my swing plane does interesting things to ball contact. Or, if I'm being brutally honest, more than occasional lack of ball contact. Ouch! This is definitely the part where it gets worse before it gets better. The few times I made decent contact, I'm not sure if it was a good swing, falling into bad old habits, or just pure luck.

The really scary part is how bad my shoulder hurts. I've not gotten past the last couple of ski falls. I need to go see my sports medicine guy--and hope like heck he doesn't say, "rotator cuff."

So I got to knock the ball around yesterday, and oh my. Changing my swing plane does interesting things to ball contact. Or, if I'm being brutally honest, more than occasional lack of ball contact. Ouch! This is definitely the part where it gets worse before it gets better. The few times I made decent contact, I'm not sure if it was a good swing, falling into bad old habits, or just pure luck.

The really scary part is how bad my shoulder hurts. I've not gotten past the last couple of ski falls. I need to go see my sports medicine guy--and hope like heck he doesn't say, "rotator cuff."

Man, Slim, if your shoulder is bothering you, that has to make the main thing you are trying to learn, i.e. trying to swing with a shoulder turn and not your arms, damn difficult. Get that checked out so you don't mess it up more.

Kevin

Claire - I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder. I hope you can get that resolved soon. I'm sure the good shots were the results of your lessons and hard work paying off.

Oh, I hope it's not your RC. If you need surgery, recovery is a long process. You need to get that shoulder imaged to make sure. Good luck!

Oh, I hope it's not your RC. If you need surgery, recovery is a long process. You need to get that shoulder imaged to make sure. Good luck!

I have an appointment Thursday morning. Even if it's not RC (and I sure hope it isn't), maybe I can get another cortisone shot.

Plus, my sports medicine guy is just adorable. :lashes:

Too bad about the shoulder. I messed my right one up playing volleyball last April. Luckily a golf swing causes it no pain.

I have a swing setter kicking around someplace. Never really used it and I bought it 3 - 4 years ago. Maybe I should track it down and dust it off.

I have an appointment Thursday morning. Even if it's not RC (and I sure hope it isn't), maybe I can get another cortisone shot.

Plus, my sports medicine guy is just adorable. :lashes:

Did the cortisone shot help last time? The orthopedic surgeon told me that a shot wouldn't have helped me at all because it doesn't help tendon tears, and the only recourse was surgery.

Wow. I have work to do. He had me working with what looks to be (after an image search) the David Leadbetter Swing Setter.
mg6-18-56.jpg

i had one of these for a while..certainly makes you set your wrists early. didnt work for me as im more of a slow take away, then attack the ball kind of swing..:beat-up:

Did the cortisone shot help last time? The orthopedic surgeon told me that a shot wouldn't have helped me at all because it doesn't help tendon tears, and the only recourse was surgery.

It did help the first time. Then I fell on it again. Now whenever I fall it jars the shoulder--I slipped on a patch of ice during the last snowstorm. Went down flat on my rear without so much as my hand bracing me, but it still jarred the shoulder. So I have my fingers crossed.

I hate that my body no longer does what I want it to do!

Back