NEWS The Golf Ball Roll Back Becomes Official

This is interesting. Courses built between 2010 and 2020 are shorter on avg than the ones built in the 90's.

Truth be told, if you are a golf course architect and you think distance and well-placed fairway bunkers are the main defense against low scores; you aren't a very good architect.

Although it is admittedly conjecture, I will fall on my sword saying that the biggest reason that the OEMs did not support bifurcation is because bifurcation would disrupt the marketing that has been in place for a very long time. It is the same marketing that would cause an OEM to make a red driver face. It is the reason that a superstar is paid so much money to play a manufacturer’s equipment.

100%. Every problem and/or solution, if you trace it all the way back to its core, always leads to the exact same place - money.

What likely is true is that fitting will become even more important once the new ball is the standard.
Yes, let's push fittings and buying new drivers as a way to minimize the impact. Add to those costs the increases passed on to the consumer by the ball manufacturers due to their massive R&D costs as a result of this idiocy.

They could just "cap" the ball as it currently exists, something maybe they should have done years ago. That would make sense! You never want to take something away from someone that they have had and enjoyed. No matter how minor, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

It’s kind of crazy to think that after all these years of technological advances that they would do this but nothing surprises me anymore.

i don’t feel strongly about it in either direction but it does make me wonder what they’re though process is behind doors

Not sure if this has been discussed in this thread or not, but does anyone know if these rollbacked balls are available for purchase? If not, have they given us an idea on when they would be publicly available (surely it couldn't be Jan 2028, but I wouldn't put it past the USGA)

Not sure if this has been discussed in this thread or not, but does anyone know if these rollbacked balls are available for purchase? If not, have they given us an idea on when they would be publicly available (surely it couldn't be Jan 2028, but I wouldn't put it past the USGA)
I don't think any have even been developed yet. This is not a simple task.

I had an inkling this was the case. Makes it hard to have any faith in their quoted distance drops for different players.
They haven't done that research. They are guessing based on maths and charts and stuff.

It's all very smooth brain.

To summarize for those that don't have the time to read the whole statement, here is what Titleist said...
Distance is NOT a problem (and backed up with many facts).
The ruling bodies have made a stupid and foolish decision.
They aren't listening to input from others playing the game and in the golf industry.
There should be more discussions about this, and...
Ultimately this decision should be abandoned or changed once a degree of consensus is reached.
This was the statement that was most important, coming from the number one ball maker:

IMG_1637.png

Yes, let's push fittings and buying new drivers as a way to minimize the impact. Add to those costs the increases passed on to the consumer by the ball manufacturers due to their massive R&D costs as a result of this idiocy.

They could just "cap" the ball as it currently exists, something maybe they should have done years ago. That would make sense! You never want to take something away from someone that they have had and enjoyed. No matter how minor, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
Club Champion already put out a new video on how fittings will get you your yardage back, even though the change is years away, LOL.

If I am small manufacturer or a DTC I would give the finger to this. I would continue to sell the ball we have today to the 90% of golfers in 2030. Will the PGA go with this rule? Gott a figure the LIV gives a middle finger to the USGA

If I am small manufacturer or a DTC I would give the finger to this. I would continue to sell the ball we have today to the 90% of golfers in 2030. Will the PGA go with this rule? Gott a figure the LIV gives a middle finger to the USGA

The PGA already is in. I doubt that LIV would give the middle finger. It’s players would want to play the ball type that they will have to play in majors.

Club Champion already put out a new video on how fittings will get you your yardage back, even though the change is years away, LOL.

For a mere $3800 in new sticks they'll get you somewhere close to where you already are. What golfer wouldn't get excited about that?

For a mere $3800 in new sticks they'll get you somewhere close to where you already are. What golfer wouldn't get excited about that?
$3,800? What do you get for that?

It’s kind of crazy to think that after all these years of technological advances that they would do this but nothing surprises me anymore.

i don’t feel strongly about it in either direction but it does make me wonder what they’re though process is behind doors
That’s one of the most disconcerting things about how the USGA and R & A operate. Everything they do lacks transparency if not a complete secrecy.

So here's a theory......

Rahm signs w/ Liv.....

Callaway Golf gets a stake in his team.....and thus is able to be a sponsor to many other people.

LIV gives a big ol 🖕 to the USGA and R&A and rejects the rollback for their tour.

Bumping this for people.

That’s one of the most disconcerting things about how the USGA and R & A operate. Everything they do lacks transparency if not a complete secrecy.
What's worse is they solicit for comments and then simply ignore what the majority prefers. They also say they "promote and conserve the true spirit of the game." If that's the case, then why don't they have any members on their executive committee who represent the vast majority of golfers, i.e., middle class, municipal course golfers.

4 years to stock up on the new Callaway balls. I hear they are the sh*t

I wonder what equity ownership means, did they give him stock options which mature in a few years or did they truly give him a piece of the company?

Don't like LIV now I don't like Callaway.

Mike Whan to Jay Monahan

"Hold my beer"

From listening to the Hack-It-Out podcast it sounds like the ball rollback will impact us more than the pros.

At 24 mins they talk about the tee it forward and combo tees. My home course has the combo tees. because the next tee box up is 674 yds. That's why the tee it forward campaign at my home course failed. NO ONE plays the gold-white combo tees. NO ONE. I've never ever seen anyone play them. I tried playing them, a couple of times, but got confused and played the whites when I should've played the golds and played the golds where I should've played the whites, and on the back 9 just changed up and played the golds because it was easier for me to remember because the whites by themselves were simply too long. Plus I was really struggling from the combo tees - which is what playing from the forward tees will be like with the new ball. And most men just struggle from the white tees.

So Callaway ChromeSofts are the ****. Right?

Back