The Driving Range

I am at a range at my home course at least once a week. My favorite one is located N.E. of Disneyland in Anaheim, CA. (Not sure if the range is in Anaheim) They have several island greens floating in a pond for targets, and the range balls float. They also have a pretty good pro shop onsite with tons of stuff for the golf junky in me. I alway stop in when I get close to it.

I believe you are speaking of the Islands Golf Center in Anaheim. There is also a Roger Dunn store on location. This is a great place. I go here often as well. There is also one close to this in Fullerton that is pretty good as well.

I hope you don't mind me patting myself on the back for a bit, but last night I went to Top Golf in the burbs and had a great practice session. If you haven't been to a "Top Golf" before, it has chips in the ball and greens that sorta act like dart boards. If you land on the green, you get more points the closer you are to the pin. The chips give you your distances and keep your points, etc. They also let you compete against your friends, and against everyone else hitting that day. It is a triple decker with heated stalls and is always packed on the weekends. Well, I was in such a groove, I had the top two scores for the day. This is making me excited for the season. Of course, I went back to a range today and all the love was gone.

I hope you don't mind me patting myself on the back for a bit, but last night I went to Top Golf in the burbs and had a great practice session. If you haven't been to a "Top Golf" before, it has chips in the ball and greens that sorta act like dart boards. If you land on the green, you get more points the closer you are to the pin. The chips give you your distances and keep your points, etc. They also let you compete against your friends, and against everyone else hitting that day. It is a triple decker with heated stalls and is always packed on the weekends. Well, I was in such a groove, I had the top two scores for the day. This is making me excited for the season. Of course, I went back to a range today and all the love was gone.

Did you get cocky? Think the golf gods heard you?

Did you get cocky? Think the golf gods heard you?

Of course, and you are likely correct about the golf gods. They humbled me today...

What will they think of next, lol. Yes I'm from the hicks, we don't even have an indoor range, let alonf something cool like that. My old course has a range they share with the fair grounds for parking, rodeos and tractor shows, lol. We get kicked off.

What will they think of next, lol. Yes I'm from the hicks, we don't even have an indoor range, let alonf something cool like that. My old course has a range they share with the fair grounds for parking, rodeos and tractor shows, lol. We get kicked off.

Top Golf is pricey, but fun. Especially for groups, where you can compete is different challenges and what not. They also have waitresses that bring food and drinks. It's definitely a social atmosphere.

With the microchips in the balls, there's definitely no fudging distances.

Top Golf is pricey, but fun. Especially for groups, where you can compete is different challenges and what not. They also have waitresses that bring food and drinks. It's definitely a social atmosphere.

Sounds extremely cool. I would imagine something like that being expensive, but well worth it in a colder climate. I'll have to look for one on my next big city trip.

I like the range and practicing...it just has to be off grass. My elbows can't handle the mats.

Much cheaper than what I normally play though. A large bucket at my local range is $13. At Top Golf, I get unlimited balls for $10 from 10am to 3pm. Of course, at my normal range I don't buy lunch/drinks and have them served to my bay. So, it ends up being more expensive in the end.

The best part, however, is the side bets you do with your buddies. When we are at a normal range, we cannot do "closest to the pin" as easily because the eye can play tricks at 175 yds. At Top Golf, the computer doesn't lie.

Tomorrow I think I am going to enter into a 12 month agreement with my home course, and the use of their driving range. I have been kicking my decision around for quite a while now, and I still need to check the math.

My original problem was they advertised it, but no where in their advertisements, does it say a 12 month agreement is required. You do not find this out until you hand over your credit card, and start to sign on the dotted line........below the fine print. Bait & Switch by any other name. Plus there are months I am not even in town to utilize the program, but will still have to pay for those unused months. CC is billed monthly.

Anyway here's their deal. It's called a "Player Development Card". For $29.50 a month, after twilight, I can golf, walk, or ride for $9.50, unlimited holes, time permitting. Monday through Friday as many rounds I can squeeze into a week/month. Also, (after twilight) I get unlimited range balls.

If I play 2 times a week, (36 holes) the price comes to a little over $13 per round. Factoring in the unlimited free range balls makes it even more appealing. I usually burn up $6-$10 a week in range balls. :D

heres my local range: World Of Golf

2 levels, heated bays, automatic tees, self service trackman bays, its the Mizuno national fitting centre, and has a decent shop to boot. they have grass areas at each end of the range for those that dont like mats, although only used in summer.

target wise they have 7 greens elevated in varying distances, with buckets at the flag on the closest greens. longest green is 230 to the front. if your on trackman you can play several virtual greens and score points for closest to the pin. its 9 shot per hole, best score each month gets a prize. :) has targets at varying distances and then a driving game. again 9 shots, between 2 poles with the aim to get one down the middle.

they have an attached flood lit short game area which focuses purely on short game, pitch, chip, bunker, putting.

i like the range. i like working out issues with my swing which i dont think you can do on the course. my teaching pro is usually on hand for advice and supervised practise at night.

There are 2 ranges I frequent. The one I go to the most is I guess my 'home' course even though i'm not a member. I play most of my rounds there and get lessons from the pro. It's all grass and not very long, so irons only. Some people are allowed to hit woods. I have clearance to use my woods but no driver. i'm not long enough to threaten the buildings in the area yet and my woods normally are supper off line like driver is.

Most of the time I'm hitting my 8i or a wedge as I work on what the pro last covered. I'll sometimes hit the chipping green as well.

The other range is sometimes matts/sometimes grass. I go there to hit driver. It costs more but it's the closest place to try and work on my longer clubs. I almost never use driver while playing but wanna change that this year. So I guess I'll be hitting this range a bit more.

Back