The Club You Were REALLY Wrong About...

collegefbfan

Reaction score
What was the club that you tried out, or saw, or heard about, or whatever, and you just knew that was the club that was going to change your game. You know the one that would allow you to dust all your golfing buddies, send shivers down the spine of your father in law (or insert other kin), or shoot, might even thought it would put you on the Tour. But then it all went South, and it was the worst club you ever purchased.

Bridgestone JGR driver. I tried it at the Milwaukee golf show and hit some good drives with it. I was more enamored with the looks of it and thought it was going to be a game changer. I don't think it lasted two months.

For my swing, Darkspeed LS driver. Unpopular

I thought I was going to make everything on earth with a LAB armlock putter...turns out I didn't. More me than the putter, but it was a hefty investment just to try something out

The one that's coming to mind is Epic Speed. I tried like heck to make that thing work how I wanted. Everyone ended up loving the Max LS but that thing was just as maddening as a non-toe striker.

JPX919 Hot Metal Pro and Tour Edge C722 3 wood. Couldn’t hit either to save my life.

SLDR driver. I even lofted up to 14* and if you were 3mm off center it did nothing but duck hook.

Probably the original Callaway UW, but that may have been because of the shaft that I went with. I hit some really good shots with it, but not enough to be consistent and make it have staying power.

Taylormade high toe..

SLDR driver. I even lofted up to 14* and if you were 3mm off center it did nothing but duck hook.
I thought the SLDR was hot garbage...until I moved to a 14*. I never missed with that club, and pounded fades all day with it.

I think I am the only person alive that had success with that stupid club.

Even more unpopular opinion, Callaway Apex CF16’s. I’d include the Ping G425 irons in there too.

High bounce lob wedge. I'm sure they help a lot of people...hot garbage for me.

At the moment ping g430 10k, I’m not having luck with a driver that suppose to be great. I think I am over doing it but practice makes perfect. So time will tell.

For me at this very moment it is the t200s. Fitting went well numbers were good. Have not played a decent round with them yet. Working on some swing changes so I said I’d keep them around and give them another chance but I think they are going up for sale.

how many drivers have I bought thinking they would be longer and help me find more fairways?!? Too many to count.

Just about every Taylormade driver I've ever bought other than the R1 for some reason.

Another unpopular opinion, the PM Grind wedge.
I struggled with the last iteration of the PM Grind. Had a lot of success with the original in LW though. The lower lofts never really worked out for me on full shots.

2014 Callaway Big Bertha driver. I just hit nothing but hooks with the thing. I'm sure it was operator error but I just couldn't get it to work with my swing.

Honorable mention, the 60* wedge in general. I just can't hit them. Going away from it in my upcoming wedge setup and going from 48-52-56-60 to 48-52-57.

One Length

Thought it was going to make me a lot more consistent. In a way it did as I felt like every club went the same distance. I just could not build any gapping with my set. Hearing that it take significant clubhead speed to make it work made sense to me because I don’t have significant clubhead speeds

Rocketballz driver
Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep

A number of years ago I purchased a set of ultra game improvement irons, in my naiveté thinking they would be very forgiving. Not. I hit a lot of hooks with them and hit my friend's TW Nike irons better.

unpopular opinion, Callaway UW
This is exactly what I was going to say. I love their hybrids but never have cared for FW woods other than off a tee. The UW was basically that club for me. Started great but went south so quickly.

I had a 12*, if I hit it pure it was an absolute bomber. But, yes, miss it just a little and it ended up left of The Squad.

Man, there are a lot of these I was looking at when pondering golf clubs to fill my bag. I know different golfers swing differently, and club(s) might work for some but not others. I did look at the Bridgestone JGR 5 wood. Also, the SLDR wood caught my attention but didn't pull the trigger. And a few more listed here.

Back