Damaikis

Fairway Finder
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.2
Today I started to use the claw putting grip. It started out rough with three putts on 2 and 3, but I didn't have another three putt in the 24 holes I played after that. I feel much more confident with this grip, and I make a lot more mid-range putts (10-20 feet) with it. I think it's just helping me put the ball on-line better. The only problem I have been able to find is that I tend to pull some putts if I don't focus. I have a strong arc in my putting stroke, and the claw generally seems to get rid of it and make it closer to a SBST stroke. That's probably why I pull it if I don't focus: I go straight back then close the face on the way through.

So does anyone else use this type of grip or have any thoughts on it?

A #8 and the claw grip? Awesome.

I have played around with the claw grip, but IMO, without knowing the correct technique and use of it, it is nothing more than just something for me to play with.

I toyed with it on the practice greens just for fun, but never seriously considered it

I find it an interesting grip, and one I will play around with sometime. I just haven't done it yet.

I tried it on a practice green a few times but lacked the proper procedure or something because it didn't work too well for me. It was fun to fool around with though. I'm glad it's working for you, are you going to use it for a while?

I feel like I have no control with it. Glad it is working for you though

If my putting ever went to crap, I used to switch to the claw grip for everything inside 15' or so. I never had good distance control with it, but I made a lot more in this range with it. I haven't done it at all this year, but I always keep it as an option when things get really bad.

If Phil jumped off a bridge would every left jump off of one, too?

No, not all of them.

I used it for 2 weeks when I was REALLY struggling with my putter, but I saw no benefits so I stopped. I understand what it's supposed to do, but it just doesn't work for my stroke.

I used it for about a month a few years ago it worked well under 10 feet but any further and I had zero feel on distance could never get it figured out. Hope it works for ya man it's always good to experiment with new things.

As much as I love Phil, I will not be going to the Claw. Just doesn't work for me.

I used the claw for about 2 years before about a month ago. It worked great on putts 20 feet and in for me, esp. those 3-5 foot putts. Longer putts I would be around the hole but didn't make many. I recommend the claw to those having issues with short putts and those that are having issues keeping the blade square through the contact zone. I've recently switched to the SeeMore theory and it's been great so far. Good Luck with it!

How high is the bridge? Is there water beneath it?

I've been using it for about 2 weeks. Still a work in progress. I switched because my right hand had become too active. I was pulling and pushing a lot of putts. I'm going to keep at it for a few more weeks at least. I'm feeling some potential with it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Yes but they would jump the wrong way and land on the pavement not in the water. :act-up:

I would.

One thing I will add that helped me a ton when I figured it out is to keep your hands separated. At first I had my hands close, almost touching or sometimes they were touching. Now I have my top hand all the way on the very top of the grip and my bottom hand on the very bottom. It helps me keep the putter more stable.

Will it help me make putts? Look out below!

On the claw, our old pro has been teaching guys with the yips the claw for years. I have piddled around with it, it is a good technique for firming short putts without getting wrists into it. One of the guys I play with is probably the best putter in our group (about 50 guys) with the claw. He has been using it for 4-5 years.

Tried it at the putting green, don't think it works for me.

I've also played around with it before but mainly in the livingroom and as others have said i felt i had no control of the putter especially because i hold my clubs a little firmer than i should. Good luck with it though

I had 17 putts for 9 today on 8/9 GIR. No three putts, which is good. Only a single one putt, which was only from a few feet. I was pretty close all day. I'm starting to get a better feel for it, and I like it.

Glad it's working for you Damaikis. I find it uncomfortable, and can't use it. I don't have a very conventional putter grip normally, but it's comfortable for me so I stick with it for the time being. GL with it yo!

Back