The 60 and over Thread

I was always good with a putter. Apparently that ended two weeks ago. I’ve become Roberto Duran. Hands of stone.

Last edited:
Had a great time out there. It was breezy but the warmer weather made it comfortable. High of 83 today. But I suppose I had a great time because this was one of my better rounds in a long time. Broke 90 from the 6300+ yards white tees today. That doesn't happen very often. Shot an 88.

Could have been better if I didn't listen to my son in law. With the driver I've been using a closed stance with my trail foot well behind the front foot. And the clubhead hovering above the ground a bit about 6 inches behind the ball. And the ball lined up with the toes instead of the instep. That seems to be what works best for the past year.

So my son in law says "You really shouldn't be aligned that way. You won't be able to sustain it. Try going back to the basic way. I'll bet you will hit longer"

Well, that resulted in a double on the first hole. A par 5. Then a triple on the second hole. A par 4. I said "Screw this". I went back to my original method and hit some really nice drives. I think I hit 9 of the 12 remaining fairways. And had the best back nine I've ever had on that course. 48 on the front. 40 on the back.

Parred the first 4 holes on the back nine. Only one green in regulation on those 4. The others were straight on the approach but a little short. Which left me a clear look to the hole. With the wind I used my gap wedge and hit a lower bump and run from around 30-40 yards. They ran up really nice to the hole. Longest par putt was maybe 6 feet on those 4 holes.

It was nice to know I can break 90 from the white tees. I had a number of one putt pars on the day.

I was always good with a putter. Apparently that stopped being a thing two weeks ago.
It was embarrassing how bad I was today. I shot 90 and hit the ball well. When I wasn3 putting, I was 4 putting… I’ve become the golf equivalent of Roberto Duran. Hands of stone.
I can't believe what a difference the Lean Lock system has made for me. I had months of numerous 3 putts per round. Now I might have one every other round. I am making a 20' plus once a round or so. But the big thing is, I am fully expecting to Make almost everything inside of 8'.

I can't believe what a difference the Lean Lock system has made for me. I had months of numerous 3 putts per round. Now I might have one every other round. I am making a 20' plus once a round or so. But the big thing is, I am fully expecting to Make almost everything inside of 8'.
Never heard of Lean Lock… I need to check them out… desperate times call for desperate measures. 😉

So after struggling for two weeks with my putting, here were my choices.
Go over to my club’s practice area in my development a mile from my house to work on my stroke, or trade in my two Jaws Raw Face wedges and order an Odyssey Double Wide.
Guess which option I chose?

Last edited:
Go over to my club’s practice area in my development and a mile from my house to work on my stroke, or trade in my two Jaws Raw Face wedges and order an Odyssey Double Wide.
I want to see pictures of that new Odyssey putter when it arrives.🤣

Go over to my club’s practice area in my development and a mile from my house to work on my stroke, or trade in my two Jaws Raw Face wedges and order an Odyssey Double Wide.
A few years ago a scratch golfer told me he practiced straight 4 foot putts almost every day. The goal was to make 40 in a row. It made him a very straight putter. Rarely pushes or pulls putts. After that it was just matter of reading the greens. I started doing that. I could never get to 40 in a row. But my putts became more consistently straight. Reading those dang greens is another matter. That is something I've never been good at.

A few years ago a scratch golfer told me he practiced straight 4 foot putts almost every day. The goal was to make 40 in a row. It made him a very straight putter. Rarely pushes or pulls putts. After that it was just matter of reading the greens. I started doing that. I could never get to 40 in a row. But my putts became more consistently straight. Reading those dang greens is another matter. That is something I've never been good at.
That sounds exhausting! 😜
I know this sounds like bragging, and i don’t mean it that way, but I’ve always been a good putter. I’m just going through one of those stretches right now where nothing is falling.
I switched to a mallet about 3 years ago after using a Yes! Tracy blade for about 15 years and I love the stability it provides,
I think I need to shock my system a bit to get a few to drop, and Ithe Double Wide seems like a good compromise… the look of a blade with stability similar to a mallet.
If this doesn’t work, I can switch to a center shafted Seemore!

Go over to my club’s practice area in my development a mile from my house to work on my stroke, or trade in my two Jaws Raw Face wedges and order an Odyssey Double Wide.
You listened to your Brain and practiced? Good 4 U. 😀

That sounds exhausting! 😜
I know this sounds like bragging, and i don’t mean it that way, but I’ve always been a good putter. I’m just going through one of those stretches right now where nothing is falling.
I switched to a mallet about 3 years ago after using a Yes! Tracy blade for about 15 years and I love the stability it provides,
I think I need to shock my system a bit to get a few to drop, and Ithe Double Wide seems like a good compromise… the look of a blade with stability similar to a mallet.
If this doesn’t work, I can switch to a center shafted Seemore!
I did a short trial with the Odyssey Double wide. Feel was good but the weight was just too heavy for my taste. For slower greens it was fine but when things speed up, it was hammer time.

I have one of these.

1714757099964.jpeg
It definitely helps, but I can easily make 50+ 4’ putts in a row. Doesn’t quite translate to a real green, maybe because I’m so familiar with it. I will say that all the practice I get with the putter has helped me improve in that area. I have it set up in a spare bedroom, so I use it just about every day. I rarely 3-putt any longer, except maybe on long lags.

I do the same thing except with 9-10 foot putts. The goal is the same. Remove starting line as a variable in whether you make or miss putts.

You listened to your Brain and practiced? Good 4 U. 😀
My back will only tolerate about 5 minutes of putting practice. I might hit two or three buckets of balls a year on the driving range because I know all to well what happens when I apply too much stress to my lumbar region.
I stretch before I play, and work out regularly. I’m 5’10” and weigh 175, and I’m in pretty good shape for someone who will turn 70 in two months… but I know my body well enough to realize what I can and can’t do.

My back will only tolerate about 5 minutes of putting practice. I might hit two or three buckets of balls a year on the driving range because I know all to well what happens when I apply too much stress to my lumbar region.
I stretch before I play, and work out regularly. I’m 5’10” and weigh 175, and I’m in pretty good shape for someone who will turn 70 in two months… but I know my body well enough to realize what I can and can’t do.
True about the Practice. I don't even try before a round. Putting yesterday during the 18 was painful but worth it. There were times when I told my Son to pick up for me. 2 years ago I would have been at the Range almost every day working on contact point and my short Game. Hopefully some day.
At least we get to play right?

Groove that putting stroke, then avoid a brain fart or 2 on the course. 😉😎

Played in a drizzle today at the club. Actually, it was quite comfortable as it never rained hard. Birdied the last hole to break 80.7/14 fairways, 8 GIR, 32 putts 42-37 79. Making double bogey and bogey on the 2 easiest par 5s sucked, but I parred the killer 11th par 4. Make those 4’ putts!

Weather hasn’t been particularly positive for getting a round in. Played Tuesday. Rain canceled yesterday. After seeing a break on the radar this morning, headed to the golf course, only to see the rain start 15 minutes after I got there. I should get hired by the local. Tv station as I predict the weather as good as the guy they’re paying. Lol

I retired today. I’m glad that’s over with!! Maybe I can play a little golf now!!

I retired today. I’m glad that’s over with!! Maybe I can play a little golf now!!
Congrats! Play until your body sys enough, then play some more.

Had a great time out there. It was breezy but the warmer weather made it comfortable. High of 83 today. But I suppose I had a great time because this was one of my better rounds in a long time. Broke 90 from the 6300+ yards white tees today. That doesn't happen very often. Shot an 88.

Could have been better if I didn't listen to my son in law. With the driver I've been using a closed stance with my trail foot well behind the front foot. And the clubhead hovering above the ground a bit about 6 inches behind the ball. And the ball lined up with the toes instead of the instep. That seems to be what works best for the past year.

So my son in law says "You really shouldn't be aligned that way. You won't be able to sustain it. Try going back to the basic way. I'll bet you will hit longer"

Well, that resulted in a double on the first hole. A par 5. Then a triple on the second hole. A par 4. I said "Screw this". I went back to my original method and hit some really nice drives. I think I hit 9 of the 12 remaining fairways. And had the best back nine I've ever had on that course. 48 on the front. 40 on the back.

Parred the first 4 holes on the back nine. Only one green in regulation on those 4. The others were straight on the approach but a little short. Which left me a clear look to the hole. With the wind I used my gap wedge and hit a lower bump and run from around 30-40 yards. They ran up really nice to the hole. Longest par putt was maybe 6 feet on those 4 holes.

It was nice to know I can break 90 from the white tees. I had a number of one putt pars on the day.

Reminds me of way back in the day when I would address the ball with the Driver about a foot, foot +, behind the ball and open to a great degree. I found that I could close the clubface as hard as I wanted and not hook the crap out of it! The most I would get was a gently draw. This was with a slightly closed stance.

I'm not that adventurous anymore, nor as flexible and strong as I was in my 20's to try that today.

I sorta remember that. Retired early for the Twins (luckily I could). Loved the Father Son's time but I itched to work. Retired twice and it never sticks. 😀
Enjoy but keep busy. Idle hands and all that.

I did the closed stance thing for a while, then, one day, my left hip popped in the follow through. Bursitis! That was a painful 3-4 weeks healing. Of course I kept reinsuring it. What I’ve worked on I is squaring up my stance and opening up my feet so my toes are pointing out. I’ve worked a lot on flexibility quite a lot and I make a pretty good turn for my age. There are a few guys my age who can hit it farther than I, but not many. I’m hitting my irons 10-1t yards farther than last year too. I need to keep working on flexibility and strength, especially core strength, and lose some weight.i can’t beat Father Time, but I might be able to hold him off a while.

Back