The 60 and over Thread

I went to a 6 hybrid over the winter. Still don't know why, my 6I hasn't ticked me off. But I like the hybrid. So now my bag is 5 wedges, 4woods, one hybrid and 3 irons, 7-9.
It sounds so weird to say. 30 years ago it was driver, 3 wood, 1-9, pw, sw, lw and I was a + player. Only thing I could do today with my old long irons I used to hit beautiful high fades with is kill worms and cuss.
Sounds like you finally settled in with that Paradym hybrid, huh? Good to hear. 👍

I’ve been dealing with some back issues for the past 2 weeks or so and took the second of a 5 package lesson plan I signed up for yesterday.
I had planned to finally play a round again today but after hitting a bunch of balls within that time period, I woke up this morning and my back was stiff as a board, so I canceled. it was probably the smart thing to do and after being up and about for a while, I’m fine.
The plan is to hit the range tomorrow, work on what she showed me yesterday, then get back on the horse Thursday morning.
Back issues suck. Best wishes.

Sounds like you finally settled in with that Paradym hybrid, huh? Good to hear. 👍
Yes. Never carried a hybrid before. I started hitting much more down on it, like a 6I (-5 AOA) rather than hitting it like a fairway wood, which is usually -1 to 0 on the SIM.
Now I am getting the spin and descent angle I was looking for.

BTW, a couple weeks ago I had a guy on a sim league see me hit a 5 wood at exactly 0 AOA, Bet me I couldnt do it again. I bet him I could do it 3 more times in a row, each time the bet would automatically be doubled. I did it.
Gangsta trick........ works great on wet ground too... Hit a cut. Open the face till the back of the sole just lifts the leading edge. Regrip like you are hitting it straight. Aim a bit left of your target. Come in shallow and hit 1/2" behind the ball, let the bounce you created with the open face slide along the ground like you were hitting a 2 hop and stop flighted wedge., The leading edge will slide under the ball and it will come out high and clean, Not all fairway woods are created equally, but the G425 and 430 soles work absolutely great like this, and I can kill my fairways for an old fart..........

Last edited:
I’ve been dealing with some back issues for the past 2 weeks or so and took the second of a 5 package lesson plan I signed up for yesterday.
I had planned to finally play a round again today but after hitting a bunch of balls within that time period, I woke up this morning and my back was stiff as a board, so I canceled. it was probably the smart thing to do and after being up and about for a while, I’m fine.
The plan is to hit the range tomorrow, work on what she showed me yesterday, then get back on the horse Thursday morning.
Hope your back gets better.

I've had a 25 % roll back in the last few years, don't need anymore.

I hear that! However, late last season I kind of figured some things out and experienced a bit of a "roll up"! I was hitting some drives out ther 230-240, and at 71 that's huge for me. My main golf buddy even remarked on it. We had our first round of this season Monday of last week. I discovered that, in addition to scraping off winter's rust, I will have to rediscover what I figured out last year!

Back to the club today playing 5880, just 500 yards longer than the muni so it not a lot of wedge approaches. I think I only hit 2 wedge approaches all day as opposed to 10 yesterday. I did have a chip on on the 16th to get on in REG, but that doesn’t count. I normally hit a wedge into the 15th, but I caught a branch on a tree, so it was a 6I instead and I missed. 5 fairways, 7 GIR, 30 putts, 40-39 79. I hit an FW on 2 and 11, and came up short. Didn’t hit a good drive on 2. On 11 it’s 421 uphill and into the wind. 16 is a 429 par 5, that plays downhill. Blind tee shot over a hill and I was just short with a drive and a Heavenwood. I flushed a couple of 6Is. Hit the one on 18 148 in the air wind aided though.

I can’t complain about my game ATM. I think it’s in a pretty good place. Now can I keep it there?

Last edited:
Back to the club today playing 5880, just 500 yards longer than the muni so it not a lot of wedge approaches. I think I only hit 2 wedge approaches all day as opposed to 10 yesterday. I did have a chip on on the 16th to get on in REG, but that doesn’t count. I normall hit a wedge into the 15th, but I caught a branch on a tree, so it was a 6I instead. 5 fairways, 7 GIR, 30 putts, 40-39 79. I hit an FW on 2 and 11, and came up short. Didn’t hit a good drive on 2. On 11 it’s 421 uphill and into the wind. 16 is a 429 par 5, that plays downhill. Blind tee shot over a hill and I was just short with a drive and a Heavenwood. I flushed a couple of 6Is. Hit the one on 18 148 in the air wind aided though.

I can’t complain about my game ATM. I think it’s in a pretty good place. Now can I keep it there?
Maybe by playing and practicing more often? 😂

Went to dermatologist last week, got results back from biopsy and it's skin cancer. The good news it's stage 0 and hasn't spread anywhere. Go in Monday to finish the job and find out how long I will be unable to play. Hopefully not long.

Went to dermatologist last week, got results back from biopsy and it's skin cancer. The good news it's stage 0 and hasn't spread anywhere. Go in Monday to finish the job and find out how long I will be unable to play. Hopefully not long.
Bad news on the diagnosis, good news on the early detection. You’re in our thoughts for a speedy recovery.

Best wishes. Working outdoors my whole life I have seen a lot of coworkers get it. Nothing serious fortunately, but one guy has a golf ball sized divot in his calf from an excision.

Best of luck BH. (y)

The good news, its caught early. I had a melanoma 1b on my right bicep (and 74 internal stitches, 25 external stitches) and it took 4 months before I could even think about swinging a golf club. But putting did improve during that time. BH you got this.
PA150040a.jpg

Bad news on the diagnosis, good news on the early detection. You’re in our thoughts for a speedy recovery.
I definitely second this.

A little advice… if it’s facial, have a plastic surgeon do the work. A few years ago I had a benign tumor just along the corner of my nose. My sister told me to see her PS and he told me if I’d let the dermatologist cut it out I’d have had to see him for reconstructive surgery to rebuild the corner of my nose. He took out a lump the size of a baby shrimp, but you can’t even see a scar.
Also, stay vigilant now and look for any abnormalities. I’ve had things cut out of both shoulders, and a couple minor facial things. It’s too late to stop those things from occurring, the damage was done years ago… just be vigilant, and you’ll be fine my friend.
Good luck with the procedure, btw.

Best wishes for the treatment to be successful with full emission. Sunscreen from now on I guess.

Another fine day at the club. Shirt sleeves all day. Rolled an FW on 2, took a bogey. Dunked one on 3 for a double. Still shot 39 on the front. Birdie on 10 and 18 to shoot 37 on the back with a 3 putt double on 11. 6 fairways, 12 GIR, 33 putts, 39-37 76.

Good luck and glad it was caught early on.

That's awesome. How long was the course?

About 5350 from the senior tees IIRC. The thing is this particular hole is quite short. It's a muni, and has a road running through it. It only cuts off this hole, but it causes the layout to be weird. The blue and white tees are on the west side of the road, and there is a chain link fence on the side of the road to hopefully keep low balls from smacking cars. The senior and ladies tees are on the east side of the road. So it's about a 250 yard par 4, and I almost drove the green a couple of times.
Sleep is over rated .....

I'm beginning to feel that way. I go to bed at 11PM, and lately I wake up about 5:30AM and will toss and turn until 6 and finally decide to get up. I never used to get up on my own that early.

Good that you caught it early. My buddy found some years ago and got it taken care of early, and it hasn't progressed any further. Skin cancer is one they have a really good handle on. The only thing that grips him now is wearing this prescription sunscreen that costs a fortune, is thick, and doesn't let his skin breathe so he overheats on a really hot day. I told him to get some sunsleeves. I've taken my share of sun in my day, so I got a pair. Not only do they keep the sun off of you, they also keep you cooler! Provided you have the breathable ones.

Keep on top of it. MOHS surgery and I are old friends. Being (formally) red-headed and freckled, doesn’t lend itself to exposure and I was one of those kids that used Baby Oil instead of sun screen. My dad was a heavy equipment operator and lost half of one ear and a big chuck of his nose. I have several divots from basal cell surgeries.

Played 9-holes at Pinecrest (RI) today, shooting a 9-over 44. One of my goals for this season was to "break 90" (or 45 for 9) on this course which, although fairly short is tight and has tough green complexes with great greens (a 9-holer of 2,600 yards, rating/ slope of 66.2/123), because last season I was having trouble breaking 50. I guess I'll have to set a new goal, LOL.

Despite hitting some not so good shots today, I never followed up a bad shot with a stupid one and my short game and putting were generally OK.

Played 9-holes at Pinecrest (RI) today, shooting a 9-over 44. One of my goals for this season was to "break 90" (or 45 for 9) on this course which, although fairly short is tight and has tough green complexes with great greens (a 9-holer of 2,600 yards, rating/ slope of 66.2/123), because last season I was having trouble breaking 50. I guess I'll have to set a new goal, LOL.

Despite hitting some not so good shots today, I never followed up a bad shot with a stupid one and my short game and putting were generally OK.
Congrats! If you shot a 44 with some average shots, then 39 isn’t as far off as you may think! There’s your new goal IMO.

Back