The 60 and over Thread

Are you playing temporary greens in Ohio right now?
At the club, yes. At he muni, no. I’ve been playing at he muni. The last time at the club with temp tees and greens I shot 63, LOL.

First round with close to everything in the bag changed over the winter. The i230's were a very pleasant surprise. Extremely pleased with the grooves. One of the guys said I was cheating with how the balls were stopping as if they had brakes when hitting the greens. A little more bounce than used to. By the back 9 was learning how to play it.
The Rogue ST Max driver was long and forgiving. Seemed a little more demanding than the Epic Speed I had been using. Switched shafts after the round and will see how it goes tomorrow.
Only got to use the Rogue ST 7 wood once. 180 out with a 15' tree between me and the green. Had no idea if I could get it over the tree. Not only did it barely clear the tree, but landed about 3 yards short of the green.
Hadn't played since the first week of January due to extremely cold temps and snow. Pretty rusty swing to begin with. That said, enjoyed the round and even won a little pocket change! Now.. if I could only putt!!!! :>)
7w’s are a lot of fun.
I never hit one until I got mine about 10 days ago, and I’m not lying when I tell you I had no idea where my first 3 shots with it went.
Each time I had to ask my cart partner “where is it?” and he would say “it’s perfect!” I simply wasn’t used to looking up that high after hitting a FW any more. 😂
5 rounds in, and I haven’t hit a bad shot yet with it, and now I‘m always looking for an excuse to play it. I love watching the ball soar, then land like a sack of potatoes 170-5 yards away.

Last edited:
7w’s are a lot of fun.
I never hit one until I got mine about 10 days ago, and I’m not lying when I tell you I had no idea where my first 3 shots with it went.
Each time I had to ask my cart partner “where is it?” and he would say “it’s perfect!” I simply wasn’t used to looking up that high after hitting a FW any more. 😂
5 rounds in, and I haven’t hit a bad shot yet with it, and now I‘m always looking for an excuse to play it. I love watching the ball soar, then land like a sack of potatoes 170-5 yards away.
Years back I had one of the first Callaway Heaven Woods. REALLY small head. Never really fell in love with it. About a year ago, picked up an old Cobra 7 wood out of a used bin. Like you say, I'd hit a ball and have no idea where it went due to the extremely high ball flight. Ended up giving it away to one of the guys in our group. He uses it sparingly.
Wanted to try something to replace one or both of my hybrids. Had just moved to a Rogue ST Max driver when I saw this Rogue ST Max 7-wood in a used bin. Didn't look like it had ever been on a course. Only used it once, yesterday. Hit it really well. We'll see how it performs the next few days. I'm very optimistic!!!!

Years back I had one of the first Callaway Heaven Woods. REALLY small head. Never really fell in love with it. About a year ago, picked up an old Cobra 7 wood out of a used bin. Like you say, I'd hit a ball and have no idea where it went due to the extremely high ball flight. Ended up giving it away to one of the guys in our group. He uses it sparingly.
Wanted to try something to replace one or both of my hybrids. Had just moved to a Rogue ST Max driver when I saw this Rogue ST Max 7-wood in a used bin. Didn't look like it had ever been on a course. Only used it once, yesterday. Hit it really well. We'll see how it performs the next few days. I'm very optimistic!!!!
Last year I’d been playing a 21* Maltby HyWay (HyWood). This club was primarily for the 17th at the club; however, I had a tendency to hit a push fade with it. When I did the fairway fitting and we ended up with the Paradigm fairway, I thought I would match it with either a 7 wood or a HeavenWood. I got the HeavenWood and, so far, it’s doing what I want. The HyWay was good out of bad lies in the rough. Not sure about the Heavenwood out of deep rough yet.

We’re playing a 16 man Quota game with $25 buy in, so there’s $400 in the pot, paying 5 places on the Fazio Course in Barefoot.
I’m hoping Tuesday’s fiasco was just one of those days, and not a trend? I’ll know right away, as this course has more bunkers and waste areas (well over 100) than any other one I’ve played.
It’s deceptively long also at just under 6000 yards from the whites. It’s a par 71, with 4 tough but relatively short par3’s. There’s plenty of length to the other 14 holes though.

Last edited:
Have had my original Rogue in the bag since like 2018. Every year it fun putting the new drivers to the test to unseat it. Always the same every year. Not any further and less accurate than my worn out Rogue.…until this year.
My driver SS 80-83, carry @185, launch 17*.
Demoed the Qi10 line. The Max was only slightly longer, maybe 3-5 yards, than my Rogue but you could throw a blanket over the results. Hmmm, interesting. Than the standard. A clear 10-15 yards past the Max but not quite as accurate. Saw carry numbers high 190s.
Pulled the trigger on it.
After ten days sim time, SS hovering 87-89. Even a few 91-93 (Not sure I believe those). Carry pushing the infamous (for me) 200. On course, three rounds on a soaked cold course (CPO), 82% fairways. Distance averaging 195 with a 215 (nearly no roll) slightly downwind poke.
Cant wait till the fairways dry out a bit and see the difference. With my luck, none. LOL. But we can dream can‘t we.

Have had my original Rogue in the bag since like 2018. Every year it fun putting the new drivers to the test to unseat it. Always the same every year. Not any further and less accurate than my worn out Rogue.…until this year.
Demoed the Qi10 line. The Max was only slightly longer, maybe 3-5 yards, than my Rogue but you could throw a blanket over the results. Hmmm, interesting. Than the standard. A clear 10-15 yards past the Max but not quite as accurate. Saw carry numbers high 190s.
After ten days sim time, SS hovering 87-89. Even a few 91-93 (Not sure I believe those). Carry pushing the infamous (for me) 200. On course, three rounds on a soaked cold course (CPO), 82% fairways. Distance averaging 195 with a 215 (nearly no roll) slightly downwind poke.
Cant wait till the fairways dry out a bit and see the difference. With my luck, none. LOL. But we can dream can‘t we.
A swing speed increase of 6-7 mph just by changing drivers is impressive! Is the new Qi10 significantly lighter or longer than the Rogue? Either of those could facilitate higher swing speed right away (at least in theory lol).

Interesting reading the 7 wood discussions. Have had an older CLK 4 hybrid in the bag for quite a few years. Trusty club that’s straight but usually rolls onto a green @165 out. A month ago i tried a friends Airspeed 7 wood. On two approaches @165. Both dropped and stopped within 15 feet. Nice high flight. Oh My!!
Only thing keeping me from considering one for the bag is my 4h is also my tree trouble punch club which has been very successful for those low under tree shots.
Still very curious about investigating the 7 or even a HW. For those who’ve hit or play the HW, is there a distance difference between the 7 and the HW? Never hit one.

Wow - congratulations!

I have a Rogue ST Max with the standard R flex shaft.

I wonder if I could see some extra distance with one of the new drivers out this year? (Ping G430 10K, Callaway Paradigm Smoke, or the TM Qi10)

A swing speed increase of 6-7 mph just by changing drivers is impressive! Is the new Qi10 significantly lighter or longer than the Rogue? Either of those could facilitate higher swing speed right away (at least in theory lol).
The Qi10 with the Speeder NX 50R is 1/4” longer and 15 grams lighter than the EvenFlow 65R in my Rogue. Also have an EvenFlow 45R for the Rogue, but severely lost control of the drives. The Speeder stays online very well. Can even control shot shape like I knew what I was doing. The setup instills a lot of confidence and allowing me to free-will the thing without hesitation. May be easiest driver to control that I’ve ever hit.

Wow - congratulations!

I wonder if I could see some extra distance with one of the new drivers out this year? (Ping G430 10K, Callaway Paradigm Smoke, or the TM Qi10)
The fun is in the trying. I didn’t get along with the 430 Max 10K. It was like five shots and no thank you. Just didn’t feel good to me. And its head is huge. A friend just ordered the Smoke Max. My club pro is saying the BlackStar may be the star for 24. Choices choices. Could be a fun year.

Wow - congratulations!

I'm thinking that the OEMs do make significant improvements in driver head and face technology every few years, so the new ones are definitely worth checking out.

Personally i would focus on ball speed and spin rates. If I get improvements there with the same CHS I hit my old driver with, then that could convince me to replace my Epic Flash.

It appears to me that the significant improvement is in the off center shots. Off center, this new crop of drivers really seems do a better job getting the ball speed.

It appears to me that the significant improvement is in the off center shots. Off center, this new crop of drivers really seems do a better job getting the ball speed.
Good point, yes. Do you know what smash factors you were getting when testing the new driver?

In my case I'm consistently averaging 1.44 and I know that could be improved.

Was averaging around 1.42-1.44. been off apparently due to increase shaft length I believe. Trying slight choke down or moving slightly further away appears to be improving on it. Work in progress. Have seen 1.48 on latest sim session so getting there. Above center strikes really drops off spin rates significantly, like sub 1900. Definitely, for me have to tee up lower.

Am I ok with leaving the driver and my swing as they are? Yes and no. I’m already seeing improvements over the Rogue. At the same time I’m seeing potential for greater improvements. Like I mentioned earlier, I’ve seen low 90 SS on a few occasions. More so each time I hit the sim. To me, the potential is there. Just have to see if I’m good enough to hone my swing to extract it.

At our ages, many of us aren't as flexible as we used to be. I was at the driving range this morning and on a whim I pulled my right foot back a bit as I made my stance. I was able to get quite a bit more turn in the backswing. It also "forced" me to make a good swing, or I ended up going left. Picked up a few mph of ball speed as well.

I just read through several threads on here about driver shaft length. There's no easy answer without testing, but quite a few golfers report making more center contact and/or reducing dispersion with shorter shafts than standard.

So it depends on what you're trying to improve on with the shaft change. I've played shafts down to 43.5" and with weight as low as 40g, but I didn't notice any real improvement in distance or accuracy with those.
I don't know if a shorter shaft would be different but I noticed when I choke down on the driver it tends to go to a little more the right. Not a slice or fade but a push. I have an older Taylormade driver that I had cut to 44 inches. Haven't used it for the past 6 or 7 years. I might take it to the range and see if there is a difference between a shorter shaft or choking down. Right now I'm using a Titleist at 45.5 inches and 65 grams.

At our ages, many of us aren't as flexible as we used to be. I was at the driving range this morning and on a whim I pulled my right foot back a bit as I made my stance. I was able to get quite a bit more turn in the backswing. It also "forced" me to make a good swing, or I ended up going left. Picked up a few mph of ball speed as well.
When I can get the downswing a little ahead of the shoulder turn I do get more ball speed. If I pull my right foot back with that swing I tend to hit a pull hook. Would be nice if I can figure out how to hit it straight with that swing. Would be more distance.

When I can get the downswing a little ahead of the shoulder turn I do get more ball speed. If I pull my right foot back with that swing I tend to hit a pull hook. Would be nice if I can figure out how to hit it straight with that swing. Would be more distance.
I hit a few hooks, but when I do it correctly the ball goes straight. I also feel less back strain, which is very important to me.

7 Fairways, 10 GIR, 34 putts, 76 with a 3 jack on the last hole. One of the group was hitting driver in the sim. I hit a few with my driver to give him a comparison. I had a little more swing speed and about 20 yards more of distance. I put the dots on the driver to get the numbers. It was actually pretty good. I don’t remember them all, but path was 1.4 in to out, face was .5 open. The last strike was 2mm toe and 8mm low. If I would have caught the center of the face, I might have hit the last one 10 yards farther. Hit a 7 iron in there too. 130-135 carry, 145-150 total. Descent angle was a little shallow at 38.5*. I’d like a little steeper than that.

The Qi10 with the Speeder NX 50R is 1/4” longer and 15 grams lighter than the EvenFlow 65R in my Rogue. Also have an EvenFlow 45R for the Rogue, but severely lost control of the drives. The Speeder stays online very well. Can even control shot shape like I knew what I was doing. The setup instills a lot of confidence and allowing me to free-will the thing without hesitation. May be easiest driver to control that I’ve ever hit.

Is the Speeder NX 50R one of the stock shafts offered by TM with the Qi10, or is an upgrade for an additional charge?

You guys have got to try the Cleveland smart sole 64⁰ lob wedge. Easy, easy to hit flop shots with no face manipulation, just square it up, aim and fire. High and spinny on even the shortest of pitches.

Back