The 60 and over Thread

since we’re talking about geese… google Golden Goose sneakers and let me know what you think.
Just don’t ask me how I know about them. 🙄

We've had the first tee time 7 days/wk for some years. Amazing how many balls you find left from those playing into dusk the evening before or that were under leaves that blew away overnight. Last I counted, 44 dozen in egg cartons in my golf shop. Lots of ProV's, Chrome Soft's. I'll never have to buy another golf ball as long as my health allows me to keep playing this game!!!!
Uh, can I please have some of my balls back?

Just wondering how many over 70 hit the gym and what type of exercise do you do?

77 here and hit the gym 6 days a week normally. Do a lot of core exercises like sit ups, leg raises, torso twists,dragon flags etc. , do these every day. I do upper body strength stuff every other day for back, chest, triceps, biceps etc., every other day. 3 days a week I focus on golf related cable exercises that mimic the golf swing. I spend roughly 2 hours daily when doing the golf work. I tend to overdo everything but have been doing this stuff for over 25 years and my body has adapted to the work. As a result, from repetitive motion I tore my upper bicep tendon about a year ago. At my age they really don't recommend getting it re-attached, as you have 2 biceps tendons and although there is some loss of strength, it has not affected my golf swing at all.

We’ve gotten 3 bonus days since Christmas. Scoring pretty good too. 73, 74 & 73. Drove the ball better today and made a bunch of putts.

Just found a hybrid Callaway clone on sale at Pinemeadow golf, ordered it 23.95 plus shipping. 6 h Lamkin over sized grip, 1 inch over standard and graphite shaft. I figured at that price I can't pass it up.

77 here and hit the gym 6 days a week normally. Do a lot of core exercises like sit ups, leg raises, torso twists,dragon flags etc. , do these every day. I do upper body strength stuff every other day for back, chest, triceps, biceps etc., every other day. 3 days a week I focus on golf related cable exercises that mimic the golf swing. I spend roughly 2 hours daily when doing the golf work. I tend to overdo everything but have been doing this stuff for over 25 years and my body has adapted to the work. As a result, from repetitive motion I tore my upper bicep tendon about a year ago. At my age they really don't recommend getting it re-attached, as you have 2 biceps tendons and although there is some loss of strength, it has not affected my golf swing at all.
Awesome routine @chenrio. I need to do a lot more core strength training to avoid the injury I’m currently fighting. I can no longer afford to be lazy or it’s bound to happen again.

Not much use for the bicep in a golf swing so, good for you! Well. unless you're doing it all wrong. I used to do archery a lot and would go to shoots where I'd see all kinds of guys who were "overbowed" doing the "sky draw". Pulling the string with their bicep.
We’ve gotten 3 bonus days since Christmas. Scoring pretty good too. 73, 74 & 73. Drove the ball better today and made a bunch of putts.
You're making SW Ohio seem like paradise!

Sorry for your loss! We have had nothing but Shelties over the years. Every one of them has truly been a family member. All but the first have been rescue dogs as well. Our 5th and current one, Zuki:

View attachment 9232508

Zuki looks a lot like Roadie did. She had a little but more white mixed with the grey and black, but basically the same color. Beautiful dogs.

Crazy weather around here in the central valley. Winter really has not hit us. Sunny and 70 degrees today. Usually by now we get stretches of morning fog with it lifting in the afternoon but covering the sun and making it feel like a damp cold day. Sometimes we don't see the sun for a week with that and no rain. Not this year so far. A little bit of rain with mostly sunny days.

At 74 years old I finally broke down and agreed to go south for a while this winter. We're going to spend February in south Texas, very near South Padre Island.
We'll be in Port Isabel, TX. I've been looking online for the area golf courses and have found three so far that I want to play while I'm down there. Do any of you
have any suggestions? I don't want to play on any cow pastures but don't really want to pay more than about $100 for a round with a cart either, and will pay
that only a couple times at the max. One course I've looked at is The River Bend Resort course at Brownsville. I hope it's open to public greens fees. Another I've
looked at is Velley International, also at Brownsville. I'm sure there are courses in the Harlingen area as well? The closest course looks to be South Padre Island Golf
Club in Port Isabel. I assume I'll pay that one, maybe more than once if I like it.

Winter has hit here in Topeka, teens and 20's in the morning and 30's and sometimes 40's in the afternoon. Some snow still on the ground, another cold front comes in Sunday and temperatures dive down.

Let's see. $500 for a pair of sneakers or for a new driver?? Humm...Wonder if those sneakers would help my putting?? :ROFLMAO:

But just think how stylish you will look, trying to putt.
Lyrics Thekidzzzzz GIF

Let's see. $500 for a pair of sneakers or for a new driver?? Humm...Wonder if those sneakers would help my putting?? :ROFLMAO:
$500 is a good price! My daughter and niece got the “clean” ones and they were $625 with tax and ship. the “pre-broken in and made dirty“ start at $550 in most places. Don’t ask me why you’d pay that much to have the company beat the crap out of Italian leather, but like you mentioned, with what we spend on clubs, who are we to talk? 🤷‍♂️

Just wondering how many over 70 hit the gym and what type of exercise do you do?
I’m actually going to get started with that tomorrow. Best advice I can give you is if you’re not sure what to do, it’s really important to know what, and “how” to exercise without hurting yourself. Talk to someone who works at the gym, or have a trainer help you to set up a plan going forward.
My plan is to go M-W-F, do at least 30 minutes of cardio each day, “upper body (work chest, arms, shoulders etc) on M&F and legs on W.
I’m going to start with light weights (machine only) and as things progress mix in resistance bands and free weights. Bike and/or treadmill for cardio.
Nothing really golf specific, just looking to tone and eventually try to get a little stronger. I’m 5’10” and range between 175-180 so I don’t need to lose much weight, but after a year where I struggled with lower back and leg issues, I‘m feeling “soft” (for lack of a better word) and I’d like to get in better shape.

$500 is a good price! My daughter and niece got the “clean” ones and they were $625 with tax and ship. the “pre-broken in and made dirty“ start at $550 in most places. Don’t ask me why you’d pay that much to have the company beat the crap out of Italian leather, but like you mentioned, with what we spend on clubs, who are we to talk? 🤷‍♂️
😲

Reactions: Ooo
End of the year so looked at my golf year. Wasn’t as bad as I thought, dropped over a stroke for each of the last two years. Had a couple of bad stretches so thought it was much worse, two or three really bad rounds. Played a lot of rounds for me and would like to average two rounds a week next year, have got to the point that I don’t do two days straight any more, can but don’t. Did three once earlier in the year and my old body let me know that I shouldn’t. Sometimes we don’t realize we’ve overdone things until we have, trying to learn from other’s mistakes.

Edit - Went back and looked, had ten rounds over 100 and thirty under 90, couple of the bad ones were together. 85-95 has been my normal range but will probably be creeping up.

Last edited:
You can pay $400 for a great bottle of wine, but you can also get one for $20. It all depends on perceived value. For example, Shadow Creek's greens fees are $1,250. Even if money wasn't an issue I wouldn't play the course as I'd feel like a real sucker paying that much for a round of golf.

You can pay $400 for a great bottle of wine, but you can also get one for $20. It all depends on perceived value. For example, Shadow Creek's greens fees are $1,250. Even if money wasn't an issue I wouldn't play the course as I'd feel like a real sucker paying that much for a round of golf.
Golf is a lot of different things to a lot of different people. If a course is in decent shape, I stop paying attention to the scenery at the 1st tee. Courses that some might describe as goat tracks still have tee boxes, fairways, hazards and greens. For what I enjoy, they can offer the best enjoyment available. I don’t expect everyone to have the same perception. Fortunately, there’s going to something for everyone.

I’ve played one course on a top 100 list. And yeah, aesthetically, it was the most beautiful course I have ever played and certainly belonged on the list. But as soon as I tee’d off, it was all about playing the round and not sight-seeing. Ended up being terrible because of the pace of play (5+ hours).

Golf is a lot of different things to a lot of different people. If a course is in decent shape, I stop paying attention to the scenery at the 1st tee. Courses that some might describe as goat tracks still have tee boxes, fairways, hazards and greens. For what I enjoy, they can offer the best enjoyment available. I don’t expect everyone to have the same perception. Fortunately, there’s going to something for everyone.

I’ve played one course on a top 100 list. And yeah, aesthetically, it was the most beautiful course I have ever played and certainly belonged on the list. But as soon as I tee’d off, it was all about playing the round and not sight-seeing. Ended up being terrible because of the pace of play (5+ hours).
If a golfer spends the money for a high end course, there shouldn't be issues like pace of play.

I agree, but to each their own. I’ve never been one to tell people how to spend their money though.
I have a friend who could’ve bought a nice vacation home for what he spent on PSLs for 4 season tickets to the NY Jets about 10 years ago.
I thought he was crazy, but it’s his thing… the guy never misses a game and he has no regrets.

Back