The 60 and over Thread

I'm hoping to get some golf in this week, golfing partner is on vacation. So when he gets back I'll be rearing to go.

I guess I’m surprised for as good of shape as I think I’m in, but those are muscles I haven’t used. Went over to my neighbors who is a family physician and he said yes it’s just overuse. Anyone else ever had this?
I've definitely had it happen to me, when I play multiple rounds in a week. With me it's muscles on my right side that get over worked. Very uncomfortable when it happens.

Hope your PT helps, I have degenerative and bulging disk. Did PT for that and then core body exercises I do at home. Still have problems with my back, but hope I don't have fractures. Any way good luck.
Thanks BH. I just hope I don't miss the entire fall golf season. Good luck with your back too. (y)

Back problems come with the territory at our age I suppose. I've had back issues for decades. I could manage it well enough when I was younger. But I just don't manage it so well anymore. Arthritis is the main culprit now. Can't do much with that. Ibuprofen and lidocaine rub helps up to a certain point. Just something I have to live with.

I've decided to swing like the old man I am instead if swinging hard for more distance. Sure does make it easier on the body. Lately I've been swinging at around 80 percent. Seems like I'm only losing about 10 yards on all the clubs. But its much straighter and more consistent. So I'm just clubbing up to make up for it.

I tried it at the driving range with the Top Tracer sim. Played Pebble Beach at 6000 yards. Not bad. Hit most fairways. Not long but long enough. Fairway woods were straighter and more consistent. I just choked down a bit and clubbed up. Seems to work for me. Might do a couple more times at the range before I hit the course to make sure its not beginner's luck with the new method.

Oh, I shot an 80 on the sim from the white tees. I know at the course it will easily be 8-10 shots higher. But what was encouraging was how easy the swing was on my body.

Hey guys and girls I am 68. I play singles tennis 4 or 5 days a week with Guy, is it my Tennis Club that are half my age. Usually an hour and a half at a time. I eat healthy. I am fortunate that I am on zero medication’s of any kind.

So about a month ago after not playing golf for almost 20 years I bought some clubs and I’ve been going to the range pretty much every day. Early last week I ended up hitting two large buckets. Now the left side of my back muscles are so sore. It even hurts when I sit for a while. I’ve had three deep tissue massages that give me relief for a short period of time. I can hardly take a full swing without that muscle pain.

I guess I’m surprised for as good of shape as I think I’m in, but those are muscles I haven’t used. Went over to my neighbors who is a family physician and he said yes it’s just overuse. Anyone else ever had this?

Here’s a picture of me and my grandkids last month at the great wolf lodge to give you an idea of what kind of shape I’m in.

I hope this doesn’t last too long

It sounds like you are over doing it. Maybe, space it out every other day or skip practice for now and play!

if you are old like me - pushing 77 - the best thing I did to allow me to play 5 days a week and no pain is switch to a 48 " Driver with a senior flex Tensei Blu shaft - the longer length slows your tempo down and makes for very accurate drives with no pain in the back. Love it. :love:

Well, we played that 9 hole muni today, and what a pleasant surprise it was! The course was in great shape including the greens. That was one fear that I had, that the greens would be as slow as shag carpet! They most assuredly were not! In fact, I knocked my first putt on the first green clean off! I also remembered that it's kind of a different deal reading really old greens. This course was opened for play in 1923. If I thought it was downhilll it was uphill. If I thought it broke left it broke right! I could not read those greens to save my life. I had to resort to "Costanza" greens reading. Whatever I thought, do the opposite.

My buddy came out and played from where I hit my drive. He has a pulled muscle in his right leg and it really hurts him to hit the Driver. He was also delighted with the course. He'd been driving miles out into the boonies to play this 9 hole job that is as flat as a pancake, and in worse shape. Plus, we finished the 9 holes and still felt good. We didn't have to drag ourselves off the course feeling all seized up. I'll use tomorrow to get my yard work done, and we're going back to play their again on Wednesday. I have to take some pics of this place and figure out how to get the pics downloaded to my computer so I can post them here.

Well...the last 5 holes did not carry over from Friday. I topped my tee shots on #1, #2, 2nd shot on #3 into the water, tee shot on #5, tee shot on #9, and tee shot on #10. I was 8 over on those 6 holes. Shot 46-41=87. The struggle continues. I am pretty frustrated with my game right now. I did play with some nice guys and enjoyed the company.

Going out with Mrs U9 for noon. Not to many days left.

Time to change the oil in the snow blower.
Mrs U9 shot an 89. Mr U9 an 80. Day started +2C. Ended up in shirt sleeves. A great day.

Left the snow blower alone. lol

Last edited:
We have had a heat wave here the last few days, front coming through tonight. Maybe some rain and cooler temps, get back to fall weather.

How many of you in the 60 to 65 age range get really stiff if you play more than a couple rounds per week?

How many of you in the 60 to 65 age range get really stiff if you play more than a couple rounds per week?
I'm 68 and play every day, weather permitting, and I don't experience any stiffness. When the weather is bad, I hit balls at the range (covered and heated bays). One of my regular playing partners is 83 and he plays as much as I do.

I'm watching a college golf tournament on GC this week, and the kids are taking carts. I watch college golf whenever it's on, and have never seen them take carts before. They usually carry, or use a push cart. In any case, I found it strange that the kids weren't walking.

I'm 68 and play every day, weather permitting, and I don't experience any stiffness. When the weather is bad, I hit balls at the range (covered and heated bays). One of my regular playing partners is 83 and he plays as much as I do.
I don’t know why it affects me so much. It is frustrating.

I don’t know why it affects me so much. It is frustrating.
I know what you mean. Through last year I walked 99% of the time, but now I have this nausea thing going on so I have to take a cart, and it's frustrating. Seems like as we get older, if it's not one thing, it's another.

We have had a heat wave here the last few days, front coming through tonight. Maybe some rain and cooler temps, get back to fall weather.
The heat wave moved temperatures into the 70s and low 80s! Great weather for fall golfing in New England!

My back has been bothering me for some time now, but nothing serious, just muscular ache on the right side up by the shoulder blade. Then, today, I did something to it. A swing could take my breath away, it hurt that bad. It even hurt getting in and out of the cart, much less bending over to tee the ball up or mark it on the green.

Surprisingly, I hit two of my best iron shots with the back killing me, my tee shot with a 9i on the par 3 11th, and my 8i approach on the par 5 closing hole. Both were very much hand and arm swings, little turn, and both went far beyond my normal yardages for those clubs. Go figure! I may have to find a way to hit everything using this method.

The worst thing is we are going to visit a friend in Hot Springs Village this weekend, and we have a 9:00 tee time at one of the courses there on Saturday. I am going to have to test the back out tomorrow, hoping it has improved.

I play twice a week, weather permitting. I'm 80 and don't get soreness unless I play more than that, or I forget to smooth swing and watch my tempo.

Congratulations, you are blessed indeed!

I’m 70 and playing 5-6 times a week. It’s not without pain, something always hurts a little, sometimes a lot. I am damn lucky with all the spare parts I have installed to be able to play at all.

I tend to not play more than 2-3 consecutive rounds and a busy week might find me playing 4-5 times. I'll walk half the time and ride the other half. Stiffness has never been an issue. Three years ago, when I was a more youthful 68, I played 36 holes a day for 6 consecutive days (riding a cart). If that marathon did not kill me, a mere 4-5 rounds a week won't.

Guys are playing one of my favorite local courses this weekend. Muscle in my back that went bad mid round last Sunday keeps warning me to not even think about it.

Yes. I’m 62 and regardless of what shape I’m in, I’m not in my 30’s anymore.
Arthritis in my hands and fingers are starting to become an issue. Nothing close to unbearable pain, just enough to affect grip pressure. The more frequently the rounds or the longer the practices, the more it becomes an issue.

Guys are playing one of my favorite local courses this weekend. Muscle in my back that went bad mid round last Sunday keeps warning me to not even think about it.
I hear you. We are finally starting to have some very nice golf weather and I too am sidelined with back issues.

Mrs U9 and I have 18 booked Saturday and Monday. I'm thinking about cancelling Saturday.

I played last saturday, it was cold and wet. Since then the lower back, along my hip line, has not been happy.

Might be done for the season.

Back