The 60 and over Thread

I am still not getting to play as much as I would like. I only played a total of 13 rounds in 2021 and 2022 combined. I played my 12th round of 2023 today. I am so inconsistent and my chipping sucks. I hit 9 greens today and played those holes 2 under. On the 9 greens I missed I played those holes +12 for a smooth running 82. I am going out again on Monday...hopefully I can eliminate the big numbers.

Are the missed greens big misses or is your chipping/pitches really bad?

It is a combination of a couple of big misses and really poor chipping. Made triple on #9 with a homerun bunker shot (I usually prefer bunker shots to chips off of grass) followed by a flop shot that ended up short and then a decent chip to 6 ft and a miss. Back to back doubles on 12 and 13. They are both long hard holes. Had to chip back to the fairway on 12. Missed the green and didn't get it up and down. 13 is a 220 par 3 where I missed big right and hit a decent pitch shot that hung up in the rough. Didn't get that one up and down either. All other holes were mediocre chips and 2 putts. I need to get some work in around a practice green and focus a little more on a couple of shots. This is a frustrating game sometimes. I feel like I am close to scoring again, but just not there yet.

Last edited:
I also got an old Heavenwood. It has the same adapter as Callaway drivers and not the new fairway wood adapter.
This allowed me to easily experiment with shafts and lie angles. I found that having the right shaft made it much more consistent.
A few years ago I went to Callaway Pre-Owned, looking for fairway woods. I purchased three Epic Flash woods, which were 60% off. Two of the clubs still had the heads wrapped in plastic and the third looked like it never has been hit. They are great woods, and given the cost of clubs today a real bargain.

Are the missed greens big misses or is your chipping/pitches really bad?
Speaking of chipping/pitching...I practice my short game a lot, and the nice thing about developing a good short game is you don't need to be young or athletic to have a good short game. Since I don't hit a lot of greens, it's a real stroke saver.

It is a combination of a couple of big misses and really poor chipping. Made triple on #9 with a homerun bunker shot (I usually prefer bunker shots to chips off of grass) followed by a flop shot that ended up short and then a decent chip to 6 ft and a miss. Back to back doubles on 12 and 13. They are both long hard holes. Had to chip back to the fairway on 12. Missed the green and didn't get it up and down. 13 is a 220 par 3 where I missed big right and hit a decent pitch shot that hung up in the rough. Didn't get that one up and down either. All other holes were mediocre chips and 2 putts. I need to get some work in around a practice green and focus a little more on a couple of shots. This is a frustrating game sometimes. I feel like I am close to scoring again, but just not there yet.
A 220 yard par 3? Lol. The average driving distance for men over 60 is 196 yards, and it's 219 for those younger. I played a course the other day where the middle tees were over 6600 yards. I played the senior tees, which were over 6000. Makes you wonder who sets these courses/holes up.

A 220 yard par 3? Lol. The average driving distance for men over 60 is 196 yards, and it's 219 for those younger. I played a course the other day where the middle tees were over 6600 yards. I played the senior tees, which were over 6000. Makes you wonder who sets these courses/holes up.

I am still playing the middle tees. The course isn't long (6270), but there are back to back holes that are brutal. A 435 yd slightly uphill par 4 followed by a 227 yd par 3 (the pin was in the front yesterday). I have played the par 3 at 253 when the tees were a little back and the pin was all the way in the back. It plays like a short par 4 most of the time. I am happy to make a 4 usually. To make it worse it is usually into the wind, although it is very slightly downhill. It also has a narrow opening in the front between 2 big bunkers. The bunkers aren't too deep so that isn't a problem. Also the course is at over 5000 ft elevation so that helps.

I want to highly recommend a book called The Four Foundations Of Golf by Jon Sherman.
It’s not a “how to swing a club” or “work on your inner zen” type read.
I’m about a third of the way through it, and I’ve already learned more than I have from any other book related to golf.

Last edited:
I want to highly recommend a book called The Four Foundations Of Golf by Jon Sherman.
I’m about a third of the way through it, and I’ve already learned more than I have from any other book related to golf.

I couldn't agree more!

I played 9 this morning, first 2 holes. Shot par on both, then the wheels fell off. Double boogie on next 3 holes, then boogie on the next 3 holes. Shot par on 9th hole , best round in a long time.

Not only is the book good, he's a great follow on Twitter.
He's about setting "Realistic Expectations" for your golf game.
The pro's aren't as good as they appear and you shouldn't put so much pressure on yourself when you're not doing to for a living.

Not only is the book good, he's a great follow on Twitter.
He's about setting "Realistic Expectations" for your golf game.
The pro's aren't as good as they appear and you shouldn't put so much pressure on yourself when you're not doing to for a living.
As I mentioned, im not halfway through yet, but what he wrote about driving the ball and approach shots as opposed to short game and putting is invaluable information imo for anyone who is serious about wanting to improve. His thoughts on golfers needing to “tear pages out of the menu” were spot on also.
btw as soon as I’m finished with this one, I’m going to order Mark Broadie’s book Every Shot Counts. From what I’m gathering so far, he’s the one who inspired Jon to change his outlook on how to play/approach the game

Wanted to get out and play but the schedule's a little busy for a few days. Two grandkids graduating on different days. Two graduation parties. One BBQ for another graduation. Two doctors appointments for the wife. On top of that a vet appointment for the mutt. I thought being retired meant plenty of time to play.

Headed out to play one of the most nondescript, unimaginative, least challenging courses I have ever played. But my buddies say it has new owners and new features. These guys are in their 30's and 40's, I think they just want to go bomb drives in a pasture. It's going to be a shootout.

Wanted to get out and play but the schedule's a little busy for a few days. Two grandkids graduating on different days. Two graduation parties. One BBQ for another graduation. Two doctors appointments for the wife. On top of that a vet appointment for the mutt. I thought being retired meant plenty of time to play.
Been retired almost 24 years and we don't know how we had time to work.

Headed out to play one of the most nondescript, unimaginative, least challenging courses I have ever played. But my buddies say it has new owners and new features.
Which one's that, if you don't mind my asking?

Which one's that, if you don't mind my asking?
Hickory Hollow, North Ave, Macomb Twp. New owners have it in much better shape than I have ever seen it, and we were done in 3:35. I'll be back since its right in the neighborhood.

Hickory Hollow, North Ave, Macomb Twp. New owners have it in much better shape than I have ever seen it, and we were done in 3:35. I'll be back since its right in the neighborhood.
Thanks.

Not real likely I'll get over there, being as I'm on the opposite side of the Metro-Detroit area. Heck, I haven't even played most of the courses that are w/in a half hour of me, yet.

Thanks.

Not real likely I'll get over there, being as I'm on the opposite side of the Metro-Detroit area. Heck, I haven't even played most of the courses that are w/in a half hour of me, yet.
I dont know how far north or south you are on the west side, but there are a lot of really nice courses out Plymouth/ A2 way.

Lately I have been pushing my drives a bit. It's because I can't turn fully the way I used to be able to. So I solved the problem by setting up with my shoulders square, but my feet slightly open. That presets my hip turn so I can bring the club through on line to the target.

I checked and our library network has the book, so I just ordered it. Thanks for the heads up.

I dont know how far north or south you are on the west side, but there are a lot of really nice courses out Plymouth/ A2 way.
I'm more NNW. Close to smack dab in the middle of Oakland County.

I would like to add, my G430 was in good form today, I was hitting a sneaky little draw that was hitting these hard fast fairways and running like it was caught looting. That Hzrds Red shaft makes it quite the weapon. I actiually had the longest drive a couple times today, the guys were kidding me about what else those blue pills must be good for........

I'm more NNW. Close to smack dab in the middle of Oakland County.
OOOH, Devils Ridge, Copper Hills, etc Some darn nice public courses in Oakland.

Back