The 2024 WorldWide Golf Championship- Preview Show & Odds

JDax

The Finley Cooler
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.1

The Preview Show will be Live from Briggs Ranch at 7:00 PM ET on Tuesday April 16th.
Let's go!!!!

• Staff
And finally, one of the most exciting experiences on the THP Calendar is back!!! The WorldWide Golf Championship is our community's Championship, the name of the sponsor has changed, but the lineage of the great Championships of the past, lives on in this experience. Eight teams of two will enter and compete for the THP Throne, and at the end of 45 grueling holes a worthy Champion will be crowned. Let’s take a look at how the Champion will be crowned.

When & Where
April 18th-20th
Briggs Ranch Golf Club
San Antonio, TX

THP returns to the Dormie Network, this time the course is Briggs Ranch. This Tom Fazio design with provide a tough but fair test of golf in the heart of the Texas Hill Country. I have had the privilege of playing this one and can personally attest that these participants are in for a real treat. The course has a lot of risk/reward elements, and subtle multi-tiered greens with wind conditions that will impact the difficulty. If you want to take a deeper dive into one of the best golf courses in the state of Texas, see the link below:

https://www.dormienetwork.com/briggs-ranch

Note: Templet0n has a done a great job with hole by hole break downs in individual threads like this one.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?threads/briggs-ranch-13.8961191/

Format:
Day 1: Shamble- Best Ball (18 Holes) + Alternate Shot (9 holes)
Day 2: Shamble- Combined Score (18 Holes)

Buckle Up… This is going to be fun for us, and not as much fun for the participants.

The inclusion of not just Alternate Shot, but Shamble Combined Score makes survival of the utmost importance. These two formats leave no margin for error and nowhere to hide. Controlling emotions and limiting damage will be focus for the teams. There is no Best Ball format that has historically allowed for Day Two runs to be made. Basically, this one probably gets survived and not won. The Team that is able to control the damage, protect the number will walk out as the Champion.

Teams:
Trevor (+3.1) and Scott Perry (27.3)- WorldWide Golf
@ScoFoBG (10) and Steve (20)- Budget Golf
@JB (9.1) and @jdtox (5.1) - When Worlds Collide
@MarMill (8) and @baylrballa (9.6)- Whiskey Business
@Scribble (21) and @blazinden (16.6) - Purgatory
@outlawx (21.6) and @Deebo76 (14.1) - Smooth Criminals
@mantan (16.3) and @KY Golfer (5) - Southern Twang
@Nerdy (12.5) and @Iceman! (17.1) - Data Simulation

While there is a lot of balance in the combined handicaps of the teams, with the median combined handicap of the THP Teams at 13.1, this is a little higher than the historical average for this event, but it’s not crazy high. There are some teams that seem to provide good line value if things break their way.

Scoring History:

In 2016, the THP Championship was contested over 36 holes over 2 days at TPC Las Vegas. In the end the Midwestern Irish Twins outlasted Team Garuba by one stroke that came down to a par putt on the 36th hole.

In 2017, the THP Championship was played in 36 holes over two days on the 2 courses at Cog Hill. With the format changing per nine (Shamble, Alt. Shot, Best Ball, & Shamble)

+13 (157) was the winning score, it was 3 shots clear of the 2nd place team
The winning Team, Swedish Tiger, shot Even Par on Day 2 in route to the title.

In 2018, the THP/Budget Championship was played in 45 holes over two days on the 2 courses at Talking Stick.
Format:
1st & 2nd Nine- Shamble (At least 2 scores from each player has to count- 61 lowest score)
3rd Nine- Alt Shot (36 lowest score)
-5 was tied for the was the lowest score on Day 1

Championship Sunday was 18 hole Best Ball
63 was the lowest score on Day 2
Lowest 9 during Best Ball was 29 by Vegetable Esquire & Dirty Hoagies

-11 was the winning score, it was 2 shots clear of the 2nd place team

The Winning Team, SoCal Strippers , shot 63 (-8) on Day 2 in route to the title.

In 2019, the THP/Budget Championship was held at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, it was an absolute duel between The Mounties & Purple Rain. A day 2 format change saw the elimination of the Alternate Shot format. This one ended with The Mounties out dueling Purple Rain in an intense and insane battle all day. They flip flopped the lead at least 4 or 5 times with The Mounties coming out on top posting -17 to outlast Purple Rain by just one stroke.

The finish to the 2019 THP/Budget Championship was nuts, I highly recommend you go look back at that Live Update Thread.

The 2022 THP/Budget Championship contested over 36 holes (Shamble- Best Ball & Shamble- Combined Score) and was decided on day two in the Shamble- Combined Score stanza. The median score in the Shamble Combined Score stanza was +13. This championship was more survived than won as only two teams finished in red numbers, with Tom Brady outlasting Slinging Bags by 1 stoke with their final score of -7 holding up.

-9 was the best score on Day One (Tom Brady) & E (Slinging Bags) was the best score on Day Two.

The 2023 THP/Budget Championship was also one for the ages over 45 holes the Championship hung in the balance (Shamble- Combined & Alt Shot on Day 1 w/ Best Ball on Day 2) at Ballyhack. Lead changes and runs were plentiful. When the dust settled First in Fun shot a 65 on Day 2 to come from 3 back to outlast Fire in the Hole & Crypto Cavemen by just one stroke!!!

This one never disappoints to deliver an exciting finish, it is a follow that you don’t want to miss!!!

Now our attention turns to this year’s edition, who will survive Briggs Ranch and become a Champion?

Last edited:
  • Staff
The 2024 WorldWide Championship: Odds to Win

Whiskey Business: 3/1-
If you have been following these for a while, you would know that I normally like Low/Mid & Mid/Mid pairings when handicapping who will make a run. This pairing fits that Mid/Mid profile that I like so much. They also have big event experience in their THP careers, MarMill was on my winning team at The Rivalry and Baylrballa is a steady hand that is battle tested. Like I stated earlier, I think you are going to have to survive this thing, and this is a pairing that can keep their head above water in the Combined Score format on Day 2. Because of these things, they will go off as the favorite.

When Worlds Collide: 4/1- Remember that I said that I liked Low/Mids? I get one here, and they come in at 5 strokes lower than the median average. There are two participants in this year’s addition that have won this event, and they are paired together here. I believe that this could be a team that is in the mix and hanging near the top of the leader board deep into the event. They have the make-up of a team of a team that could grind if they needed. It’s hard not to like this team, you get a guy that makes shots when he has to have them in JB, and you get possibly the greatest competitor in the history of THP experiences in JDtox. The discount that is cooked into this number is the fact that JB has been exhausted on Day 2 of experiences, and the hardest format is on Day 2 of this experience.

WorldWide Golf: 6/1- Every year, I fall in love with a Low/High pairing, and either I get their odds right, or they are absolute fool’s gold. This is the type of pairing that is either magic or tragic. They come in at one stroke below the median average, and they could post a huge red number in Shamble- Best Ball and hold on until the end. I think they will have the lead after day one. It should be noted that the handicap spread between the two members is the largest spread in recent memory and could be the largest spread of all time. Risk/Reward pick.

Southern Twang: 8/1- This is the last of the teams that come in under the median average (1 stroke), they are a Low/Mid that could provide the best line value on the board. KY Golfer has been absolute nails in anything that he’s appeared in, but he draws a rookie here in mantan. We just saw rookies dominate at the GOAT Cup, so it could happen, if mantan is game this is a dangerous team.

Data Simulation: 12/1- This is where the Mid/High pairings start to hit the board, in this format the Mid/High profile must have a lot to go their way to make a deep run. They both have event experience, which helps a lot. They come in at 2 stokes higher than the median average and need to avoid big numbers in all formats to stay in the mix. I’m glad to see Nerdy and my GD teammate Iceman! back at an experience.

Budget Golf: 12/1- My man Scott has a lot of experience in this event and has played well in spots, last year as a member of a Low/Mid team, Alt Shot was his undoing. Can he reverse that tread this year as part of a Mid/High pairing? At this end of the board the game plan is similar, but easier said than done. They must find fairways, don’t let it get away from them, then survive by making their pops count. They are 2 stokes higher than the median average. It’s a tall order, but it can be done.

Smooth Criminals: 16/1- The last of the Mid/High pairings, includes my favorite Back 9 Bully in Deebo and outlaw. This is Deebo’s 3rd appearance, and I have a soft spot because it was his charge that started the Team JDax’s run on singles day at the Rivalry. Outlawx has been in an experience before and made his pops count going 3-0. That was Match Play this is stroke play. They are 5 strokes higher than the median average and will need to make their pops count if there is a path.

Purgatory: 18/1- The only High/High pairing in the field, and this is what makes handicapped events so great. They are anchored by blazinden, who was on a team last year that had this thing won for 44 holes, then a melt down on the 45th hole cost them the title by 1 stroke. Is there scar tissue, has to be, right? He is paired with the second highest cap in the field and event rookie in Scribble. Scribble has been quiet in the lead up, but he could be a silent assassin popping and dropping people. They are 6 strokes higher than the median average. The path is just survive, make the pops count and hope a train wreck occurs ahead of you on the leaderboard.

IMG_2211.png
IMG_2177.png
IMG_2176.png

Last edited:
Lets Go Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

We don't even have the live update thread yet... You're prepared sir...

We don't even have the live update thread yet... You're prepared sir...
Cause they will be on site! Has to make sure y'all are ready!!

Bookmarking now

Gonna have to catch the replay. I'll be in Vegas.
Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd

The Rock Sunglasses GIF

We're doing it live...from Briggs Ranch.

This is awesome!!!!

Will the flowing locks of Muchmore be making an appearance?
I'm pretty sure there will be no flowing locks on the panel 😜

Found Footage Hello GIF by Eternal Family

I know what I'm doing next Tuesday! Looking forward to this one.

I listed my winter hdcp as 11 @JDax

I'm going to miss a lot of this one due to a conference I am required to attend, I'm sure it'll be as good as advertised however!

I'm going to miss a lot of this one due to a conference I am required to attend, I'm sure it'll be as good as advertised however!
You can watch it later.

LFG, can't wait!!!

Also. 6 pm. I might be able to be there live. :D

Let's go. Can't wait.

Back