EXPERIENCE The 2024 Morgan Cup – Sponsored by Cobra Golf

Okay, going through my bag today once more, I think I'm settling into what is pretty damn close to the final version.
Some explanations for how the thinking goes currently:

SlotClub + shaftReasoning
DriverDS LS 10.5* TL / LinQ Blue 6F5 (LinQ Red 7F4 TSPX)I got fitted into the Darkspeed line and had an X turned +1* -0.5" with another shaft. Never hit the LS in the fitting as we were fighting to get spin up. My shot shape is a draw and the miss is a hard hook. My main goal here is to have the kind of Anti-Left club that Lord Tox was talking about last year. I'll start with the club turned +1. Heavy weights in the toe and back.

For the shaft, I have a LinQ Red 7F4 TSPX recommended by Danny Le, but looking forward to trying the Blue 6F5 here too. The reasoning behind the X-Stiff is to gel with my liking for firmer feeling shafts and the bit quick transition I have.
FW #1DS LS 5W / LinQ Blue 6F5The idea with the LS version of the 5W is the same as the driver, make it be anti-left or a milder draw. Also the ability to tweak the flight with the weights is something I like. Mostly used as a secondary tee club, sometimes on long par-5s. The shaft idea is the same as with the driver. Might take half an inch of the shaft on order, in which case the 6F4 might be the choice as that stiffens it up a bit as far as I've understood.
FW #2DS X 7W / LinQ Blue 6F5I've long pondered a high lofted FW and now I have a chance. I like the idea of a great second shot club for Par-4s and -5s or a tee club for long par-3s. Shaft as before. Shaft thoughts the same as in the LS 5W.
HybridDS 5h / MMT Hybrid 80 SGapping into the irons and fairways, going with the new tec DS 5 hybrid. This is also to save my bacon from the inevitable rough shots after not hitting the fairway. Played the King Tec 4h before, so now I want to try the DS.

I have the MMT in my current KT hybrid and really like it there. I treat the hybrid swing as an iron swing, so the same profile shaft as in the irons is what I'm going for. I had a thought of going all UST shafts, but when the MMT's came into play for the irons, I'm thinking of doing that through the line for consistent feel.
IronsKing Tour 6-PW / MMT 85 SI thought for long that I'll surely go with the Darkspeeds. But having hit the King Tours, my mind changed. I'm quite low launch and spin with the irons and that combined with how the LTDx and AJ performed for me, I'm looking to get higher launches and descent angles with increased spin to hold more greens. I don't necessarily look for more distance, although that's not lacking with the King Tours. My first foray into non-GI irons...

The MMT becoming available in the irons is greatly appreciated! I was planning on going all graphite in any case and quite liked the feel of the MMT's when I hit them. Still pondering on 85/105, but current idea is 85.
Wedge #1SB X 50* / MMT 105 S or Recoil ESX 460 SI'm not a great wedge player. Let's get that straight right away. I love the 48 & 52 SB X I currently have. The 50* would likely gap quite well between the irons and the other wedges. Can always change to either direction if needed.

For wedge shafts, I want to go graphite. My hands aren't what they used to and I get achy. The MMT 105's would keep the profile intact from the hybrid to the wedges, but get progressively heavier. If the MMT is not available here (which is fine!), I'd take the Recoils and be very happy.
Wedge #2SB Black 54 Versatile / MMT 105 S or Recoil ESX 460 SThe 54* would be my all around club around the greens, half shots and everything in between. That's why the Versatile grind, to enable this variety in shots. The Black over the Raw, becase the bag will be so black all through the set, that these would fit in aesthetically really well I'd say.

Shafts as before.
Wedge #3SB Black 58 Wide Low / MMT 105 S or Recoil ESX 460 SI currently have the first gen SB 58 WL and like it a lot. Our turf is often quite soft and the WL would be a great companion for the 54V when the circumstances call for it. I've used the 58 a lot from the bunkers and probably would be my main go to club there now as well.

Shafts as before.
PutterAgera RS-30 35" / Stock (likely an All-In later)Rolled pretty much everything in the line-up and the Agera RS-30 was my favourite of the bunch. I have a slightly arcing stroke and the RS-30 would fit the bill. I like the size more than the standard Agera and the insert is more to my taste than the Vintage line Pebax. I have others I could game any day, but the RS-30 is what I'm going with here.

Stock shaft on order, but looking to try it with that or put in an UST All-In shaft later.
GripsGP Tour Velvet Plus4 Black StandardI've gotten used to playing a built up bottom now. I currently play Lamkin ST +2 Calibrate and a MCC Plus4 in the driver. So the Tour Velvet Plus 4 is the closest non-upchgarge that is of that profile.
Love the breakdown of every club!

Love the breakdown of every club!
It's a write up of my internal monologue of trying to talk myself into the right selection :D

It's a write up of my internal monologue of trying to talk myself into the right selection :D
I love it! Self convincing is crucial :ROFLMAO:

I love it! Self convincing is crucial :ROFLMAO:
If only it worked as well on the course :ROFLMAO: Maybe the Mindset testing will do that too.

So what’s everyone going to be working on leading up to the Morgan cup?

For me, it’s all down to putting. I’m going to be getting a lot of practice and work in to improve my starting line and get more accurate. With the greens at Briggs this will be the difference between playing well and not for me. Outside of that I am fairly consistent, at least in terms of my HC and abilities, putting is just the one wildcard for me.

Personally I don’t believe wedges are needed but You can place the order, however I would provide a backup stock option.
Are you saying graphite isn’t needed in wedges or that wedges are not needed all together?

For me, it’s all down to putting. I’m going to be getting a lot of practice and work in to improve my starting line and get more accurate. With the greens at Briggs this will be the difference between playing well and not for me. Outside of that I am fairly consistent, at least in terms of my HC and abilities, putting is just the one wildcard for me.
Short game for me. Pitching and chipping. Putting if I can find some faster greens to play on. And definitely my conditioning, trying to come in much better shape.

Short game for me. Pitching and chipping. Putting if I can find some faster greens to play on. And definitely my conditioning, trying to come in much better shape.
Putting I'm going to try and get out to my brothers club a bit more this summer. Their greens are faaaaaassssstttt, so that would be a great test.

Good balance to our team though, as pitching and chipping are my strong areas.

Off the tee and 50 yds in. I'll live with my putting 🤞 But don't want to put my partner in trouble or leave myself behind after one shot.

Short game and conditioning. I’m not going to magically start hitting it 50yds farther so I need to get better at what good short hitters do. Hit fairways and get up and down. I live a couple miles from a 9 hole goat track. The course is meh but the greens are usually good. Going to try to get out there a couple times a week and walk it. The whole kill 2 birds and all that.

*Warning- Long post ahead*

Had my fitting today to finalize my club selections. I lucked out and was striking the ball well. I’m a short knocker so don’t laugh at the numbers in this post. Or do, I don’t care, I know I hit it short 😂

We started with irons. I hit a couple with my Mizuno 7i and hit them about as well as I can, 7i - slight fade, 128 carry, 7600rpm, 84 peak height, 49* landing angle. A little shorter than I see on the course but everything else was about right. We ruled out the Tours because of spin and my awesome lack of skill. Moved on to the Darkspeeds. Started with the PGI 85, it was good, really good but we can’t stop at the first option. Tried the TGI, Tour Lite, DG 105, and Elevate 95. The DG 105 was good but short, everything else was horrible. Went back to try the PGI again, slight draw, 147 carry, 6200rpm, 82 peak, 47 landing angle. Yeah, I think we found the one. 7-G, PGI 85, -3/4”, std lie.

Next we moved to driver. I’ll start by saying I’m a really hard fit for driver. I have never been fit for what I’ve found works on the course for me. And this time was no exception. I’m a high launch, high spin player with a driver but I swing slow so I need the spin. What’s the first thing fitters do when looking or distance, eliminate spin. This took awhile. We started with the X, 10.5, Lin-Q Blue. I hit it well for me but was pushing it. I’m watching ball speed, spin, and carry, he’s watching launch and spin. I didn’t get pics and he didn’t email me the results like he was supposed to but from what I remember the best were mid 120’s ball speed, 16 or so launch, mid 3k spin, and mid 210’s carry I think. I could be off on some of that.

Anyway, he didn’t like the push and thought the spin was way too high. We moved to the Max and it didn’t work with anything. I didn’t expect it to. I haven’t found a Max driver I can hit yet. Next he hands me the LS with I think the Lin-Q red. I told him that shaft won’t work but I’ll hit it anyway. Sure enough it was bad. Blue was a little better but not much. Then he had me try the white. Spin dropped to 1800, launch dropped to 13, but so did ball speed and carry. He was happy with it though because the spin was down. That’s fine if I swing 105+ but at 90mph 1800 ain’t gonna cut it. I finally realized he was watching total distance. Yep, not my game. I don’t get PGA roll on the course.

He walked away for a minute to help someone else and when he came back I asked him to put a Lin-Q blue 3w shaft in the X 10.5 set to +1*D. He looked at me funny but did it anyway. First one was 220 dead straight. I hit 3 I think that were identical. He said something to the effect of he’d never seen that before. I just shrugged and asked if we were doing fw’s next.

I told him before we started that my Speedzones were the clubs I was going to have the hardest time replacing. We tried, but nothing topped them. It’s a comfort/confidence thing. I put my shafts in each head and that helped. I settled on the Max 3 +1* and 7w. They were the closest in looks and feel to my SZ’s. They’ll be fine and I’ll get used to them. They’ll probably even end up being a weapon for me like the SZ’s.

Hybrids were easy. King Tec 5h w/ MMT 70 and Darkspeed 6h w/ PGI 85.

We decided since I rarely used my wedges for full swings I should stay with 50/54/58 since I’m comfortable with that. I’ll be going SBX 50, SB Raw 54, & SB Raw 58 with KBS Hi Rev.

I was all set to go with the Agera RS-30 after trying it yesterday but they had the whole lineup and he asked if I wanted to test them. Sure, I’ve got time to kill. The Agera was just as good as it was yesterday. Then I tried the Vintage line which wasn’t available where I tried the Agera. Holy hell, it’s like that lineup was made for me. Every model beat the Agera but the Stingray-30 stood out by a wide margin. That shocked me because I didn’t care for it by the pics I saw. It is really nice in hand. I couldn’t miss and speed control was crazy good.

My fellow Morgan Cuppers, if at all possible try every putter in the lineup, you might be surprised what works.

If you’re still here thanks for reading. It was a blast trying out the new lineup. I’d recommend everyone try it if you can. Cobra has some winners and I’m not just saying that because of well, you know. The Darkspeed irons are stupid good and the drivers, pending the right fit, are as good as anything out there. Now to impatiently wait for order day.

Had my fitting today to finalize my club selections. I lucked out and was striking the ball well. I’m a short knocker so don’t laugh at the numbers in this post. Or do, I don’t care, I know I hit it short 😂

We started with irons. I hit a couple with my Mizuno 7i and hit them about as well as I can, 7i - slight fade, 128 carry, 7600rpm, 84 peak height, 49* landing angle. A little shorter than I see on the course but everything else was about right. We ruled out the Tours because of spin and my awesome lack of skill. Moved on to the Darkspeeds. Started with the PGI 85, it was good, really good but we can’t stop at the first option. Tried the TGI, Tour Lite, DG 105, and Elevate 95. The DG 105 was good but short, everything else was horrible. Went back to try the PGI again, slight draw, 147 carry, 6200rpm, 82 peak, 47 landing angle. Yeah, I think we found the one. 7-G, PGI 85, -3/4”, std lie.

Next we moved to driver. I’ll start by saying I’m a really hard fit for driver. I have never been fit for what I’ve found works on the course for me. And this time was no exception. I’m a high launch, high spin player with a driver but I swing slow so I need the spin. What’s the first thing fitters do when looking or distance, eliminate spin. This took awhile. We started with the X, 10.5, Lin-Q Blue. I hit it well for me but was pushing it. I’m watching ball speed, spin, and carry, he’s watching launch and spin. I didn’t get pics and he didn’t email me the results like he was supposed to but from what I remember the best were mid 120’s ball speed, 16 or so launch, mid 3k spin, and mid 210’s carry I think. I could be off on some of that.

Anyway, he didn’t like the push and thought the spin was way too high. We moved to the Max and it didn’t work with anything. I didn’t expect it to. I haven’t found a Max driver I can hit yet. Next he hands me the LS with I think the Lin-Q red. I told him that shaft won’t work but I’ll hit it anyway. Sure enough it was bad. Blue was a little better but not much. Then he had me try the white. Spin dropped to 1800, launch dropped to 13, but so did ball speed and carry. He was happy with it though because the spin was down. That’s fine if I swing 105+ but at 90mph 1800 ain’t gonna cut it. I finally realized he was watching total distance. Yep, not my game. I don’t get PGA roll on the course.

He walked away for a minute to help someone else and when he came back I asked him to put a Lin-Q blue 3w shaft in the X 10.5 set to +1*D. He looked at me funny but did it anyway. First one was 220 dead straight. I hit 3 I think that were identical. He said something to the effect of he’d never seen that before. I just shrugged and asked if we were doing fw’s next.

I told him before we started that my Speedzones were the clubs I was going to have the hardest time replacing. We tried, but nothing topped them. It’s a comfort/confidence thing. I put my shafts in each head and that helped. I settled on the Max 3 +1* and 7w. They were the closest in looks and feel to my SZ’s. They’ll be fine and I’ll get used to them. They’ll probably even end up being a weapon for me like the SZ’s.

We decided since I rarely used my wedges for full swings I should stay with 50/54/58 since I’m comfortable with that. I’ll be going SBX 50, SB Raw 54, & SB Raw 58 with KBS Hi Rev.

I was all set to go with the Agera RS-30 after trying it yesterday but they had the whole lineup and he asked if I wanted to test them. Sure, I’ve got time to kill. The Agera was just as good as it was yesterday. Then I tried the Vintage line which wasn’t available where I tried the Agera. Holy hell, it’s like that lineup was made for me. Every model beat the Agera but the Stingray-30 stood out by a wide margin. That shocked me because I didn’t care for it by the pics I saw. It is really nice in hand. I couldn’t miss and speed control was crazy good.

My fellow Morgan Cuppers, if at all possible try every putter in the lineup, you might be surprised what works.

If you’re still here thanks for reading. It was a blast trying out the new lineup. I’d recommend everyone try it if you can. Cobra has some winners and I’m not just saying that because of well, you know. The Darkspeed irons are stupid good and the drivers, pending the right fit, are as good as anything out there. Now to impatiently wait for order day.
Awesome read, thank you for sharing! It really does pay to know your game and numbers before going to a fitting.

Really happy you got a chance to get out and experience the lineup! Sucks that OL didn't work out like you had thought, but I think you'll be happy with the VL verion!!

Thanks for sharing!

I have had the absolute worst time trying to get fitted. Club champion here doesn’t have darkspeed iron heads, Scott Felix doesn’t have cobra fitting stuff plus he can’t get me in until after Memorial Day, Edwin watts employees get paid commission, they know I’m not buying anything, so they will only help so much and trying to find anything cobra in their fitting area is very tiresome, and golftec took me four straight days of calling to talk to somebody. Went there yesterday for an hour, hit all 3 driver heads with same shaft and couldn’t make anything work but we never tried any other shaft, felt very rushed. I just moved to irons and that was as far as I got in my hour.

I have had the absolute worst time trying to get fitted. Club champion here doesn’t have darkspeed iron heads, Scott Felix doesn’t have cobra fitting stuff plus he can’t get me in until after Memorial Day, Edwin watts employees get paid commission, they know I’m not buying anything, so they will only help so much and trying to find anything cobra in their fitting area is very tiresome, and golftec took me four straight days of calling to talk to somebody. Went there yesterday for an hour, hit all 3 driver heads with same shaft and couldn’t make anything work but we never tried any other shaft, felt very rushed. I just moved to irons and that was as far as I got in my hour.
That sucks. I was lucky finding a place that had everything. Does CC have the LTDx irons? Maybe get fit for them and ask @Master Yagley his thoughts

Can I get the audio book version? 🤣
I kid, i kid.
Love that you had a good fitting and that you know your game well enough to correct course on the driver.
Really cool that they had ALL the putters there for you to roll.
So, sounds like you are feeling pretty good with where the bag sits? 👊

Just want to find time to get out and play. Not a huge grinder/range rat and if I can find the time to do anything golf related may as well be playing 9/18.

Enjoying reading about the fittings and bag thoughts in here. Fittings are so personal. I hope you all get a chance to hit as many of the options as you can before putting your order in.

Rough first cut. I will be going to Roger Dunn Golf this weekend to finalize my selection.

Darkspeed X 10.5 stiff Lin-Q Red
Darkspeed Max 3 wood graphite stiff
Darkspeed X 5 wood graphite stiff
Darkspeed 3 hybrid graphite stiff
Darkspeed irons 5-GW graphite stiff
Snakebite raw 54*, 58* both in versatile grind, stiff steel
Agera 3D printer putter
So, after 2 sessions at Roger Dunn, here is my new lineup. The new Cobra clubs amazing. They have come a long way since the bio-cell clubs I used to play in terms of feel, looks, and performance. I was leaning toward the forgiving lineup, but things changed a lot.
Darkspeed Driver LS 10.5 Lin-Q Blue stiff flex
Darkspeed LS 3 wood Stiff Lin-Q white
Darkspeed LS 5 wood Stiff Lin-Q white
Darkspeed X 7 wood Stiff Lin-Q blue OR Darkspeed 4 hybrid OR King TEC 4 hybrid
King Tour Irons 5-GW regular steel KBS-$Taper 1deg flat
Snakebite raw 54*, 58* both in versatile grind, stiff steel 1 degree flat
Agera 3D RS counter balanced putter

Grips Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Black Midsize

I know this is pretty different from where I started, but hear me out. :)

Driver
The Max driver spun too much for me. The X and LS drivers performed similarly, but the LS had less spin and thus went farther. I did not have more issues with side dispersion than I did with the other two clubs.

Fairway
I had issues hitting the Max fairway off of the deck. I kept catching it a bit thin, and I found myself hooding the club down to make good contact with the ball. (Not blaming the club, just how it worked with my wonky swing). The X and LS were again similar with the LS wining out on distance. I like the that Cobra woods have a ton of adjustment options. I will will play with that a lot to gap my set. My current 3 wood is a bonded club, so no adjustments for me there. The 7 wood will likely be my long distance, launch it high and land softly on the green club for me. BUT I have had hybrids in by bag for years, and the are my comfort club when the wheels fall off the bus. I have also never gamed a 7 wood, so what better time than now, to test one out.

Irons
I went into this fully intending to get the Darkspeed irons. Turns out, I hit the Darkspeed about the same carry distance as the King Tours. I did not have a problem hitting the King Tours as they very similar to my current ZX5s. The thing that convinced me, was the difference in spin between the 2. I was getting about 5400-5600 with the Darkspeed 7 iron, and around 7000 with the King Tours.

Wedges
These did not change. I love a good rusty wedge

Putter
This was also a pleasant surprise. Simply put, the counter balanced putter with the flat stock grip took a lot of my hands out of my putting stroke, and it was just me and my arms/shoulders. Best putter for me from 3, 5, 10, and 15 feet in terms of speed, and direction. I holed more putts with this than any of the other available models.

Final testing session hopefully this Friday.

Last edited:
So, after 2 sessions at Roger Dunn, is is my new lineup. The new Cobra clubs amazing. They have come a long way since the bio-cell clubs I used to play in terms of feel, looks, and performance. I was leaning toward the forgiving lineup, but things changed a lot.
Darkspeed Driver LS 10.5 Lin-Q Blue stiff flex
Darkspeed LS 3 wood Stiff Lin-Q white
Darkspeed LS 5 wood Stiff Lin-Q white
Darkspeed X 7 wood Stiff Lin-Q blue OR Darkspeed 4 hybrid OR King TEC 4 hybrid
King Tour Irons 5-GW regular steel KBS-$Taper 1deg flat
Snakebite raw 54*, 58* both in versatile grind, stiff steel 1 degree flat
Agera 3D RS counter balanced putter

Grips Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Black Midsize

I know this is pretty different from where I started, but hear me out. :)

Driver
The Max driver spun too much for me. The X and LS drivers performed similarly, but the LS had less spin and thus went farther. I did not have more issues with side dispersion than I did with the other two clubs.

Fairway
I had issues hitting the Max fairway off of the deck. I kept catching it a bit thin, and I found myself hooding the club down to make good contact with the ball. (Not blaming the club, just how it worked with my wonky swing). The X and LS were again similar with the LS wining out on distance. I like the that Cobra woods have a ton of adjustment options. I will will play with that a lot to gap my set. My current 3 wood is a bonded club, so no adjustments for me there. The 7 wood will likely be my long distance, launch it high and land softly on the green club for me. BUT I have had hybrids in by bag for years, and the are my comfort club when the wheels fall off the bus. I have also never gamed a 7 wood, so what better time than now, to test one out.

Irons
I went into this fully intending to get the Darkspeed irons. Turns out, I hit the Darkspeed about the same carry distance as the King Tours. I did not have a problem hitting the King Tours as they very similar to my current ZX5s. The thing that convinced me, was the difference in spin between the 2. I was getting about 5400-5600 with the Darkspeed 7 iron, and around 7000 with the King Tours.

Wedges
These did not change. I love a good rusty wedge

Putter
This was also a pleasant surprise. Simply put, the counter balanced putter with the flat stock grip took a lot of my hands out of my putting stroke, and it was just me and my arms/shoulders. Best putter for me from 3, 5, 10, and 15 feet in terms of speed, and direction. I holed more putts with this than any of the other available models.

Final testing session
Very cool, glad you got to go hit the clubs and find what works best for you. I get ending up away from what you initially thought, I was sure I'd be in the max driver as the AJ max works so well for me now, but my fitter showed me that I didn't need the spin or left help of the Max and I'm going with the X.

Dude that sucks. Sorry you are having a hard go of trying out the clubs. Did the Golftec stuff sort out the irons for you at least?

What clubs are you currently playing? What shafts? What works for you now?

What shaft did you try in the Golftec fitting that wasn't working? What about it didn't you like?

Hopefully with all the equipment expertise we have here on the forum we can get some ideas of things that might work for you. Hopefully @Master Yagley might be able to assist.

Can I get the audio book version? 🤣
I kid, i kid.
Love that you had a good fitting and that you know your game well enough to correct course on the driver.
Really cool that they had ALL the putters there for you to roll.
So, sounds like you are feeling pretty good with where the bag sits? 👊
Definitely feeling good about the bag. I gained where I expected and didn’t lose anything. I forgot to mention the forgiveness of the drivers. A bad shot is still a bad shot but they didn’t seem to punish me as bad as others I’ve tried. The LS was really surprising in that regard. Way more forgiving than I thought it would be

Dude that sucks. Sorry you are having a hard go of trying out the clubs. Did the Golftec stuff sort out the irons for you at least?

What clubs are you currently playing? What shafts? What works for you now?

What shaft did you try in the Golftec fitting that wasn't working? What about it didn't you like?

Hopefully with all the equipment expertise we have here on the forum we can get some ideas of things that might work for you. Hopefully @Master Yagley might be able to assist.
Also, what shaft did he actually hit in the drivers would be helpful to know.
What shaft did you hit in the driver heads? What is your current driver and shaft combination?

Got to fully read through this! Great gains on the irons, and still playable numbers for sure. Also, loved that you got to go through the whole putter lineup, that's awesome.

Back