The 2024 Bag Boy Championship: Preview & Odds Show

JDax

The Finley Cooler
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.1
Join Canadan, & myself to preview all of the action coming up this week at the 2024 Bag Boy Championship.

May 3rd- 7:00 PM CDT

Last edited:
  • Staff
On the heels of a very exciting finish of the Worldwide Championship, the THP Calendar rolls on!!! Leaving behind the partnership with Worldwide, we have a brand-new Championship featuring Bag Boy. All I know is that a new lineage will begin, and at the end of 45 grueling holes a worthy Champion will be crowned. Let’s look at how the Champion will be crowned.

When & Where
May 5th -7th, 2024
Ballyhack Golf Club
Roanoke, VA

THP returns to the Dormie Network, and Finally… We have come back to Ballyhack!!!! This Lester George design with provide a tough but fair test of golf in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I have had the privilege of playing this one, and it is one of my favorite courses of all time. The course has a lot of risk/reward elements, subtle multi-tiered greens with wind conditions & elevation that will impact the difficulty. Did I mention that this course is probably my favorite of any course that I have ever played?

Format:
Day 1: Shamble- Best Ball (18 Holes) + Alternate Shot (9 holes)
Day 2: Shamble- Combined Score (18 Holes)

Buckle Up (Again)… This is going to be fun for us, and not as much fun for the participants. Oh Yes… There will be blood. The median historical average in THP Experience History for Shamble- Combined Score is +12, just saying.

The inclusion of not just Alternate Shot, but Shamble Combined Score makes survival of the utmost importance. These two formats leave no margin for error and nowhere to hide. Controlling emotions and limiting damage will be focus for the teams. There is no Best Ball format that has historically allowed for Day Two runs to be made in events of this structure. Basically, this one probably gets survived and not won. The Team that can control the damage, protect the number will walk out as the Champion.

Teams
Dynamic Duo (from Dynamic Brands) - Craig (7) and Perry (18)
First in Fun - @JB (9.1) and @ddec (12.5)
Anime Gods - @xThor (3.8) and @Muchmore (5.7)
Matcha Latte - @t-dray (18.2) and @wazzubrew (14.4)
Packing Chowdah - @lambeau (10.8) and @Mikey D (22.5)
Aqua Men - @Nashtyone (11.1) and @ttucliffhanger (4.8)
Touring Purple - @Bus (16.3) and @Daluteh (28.5)
Smoked Charcuterie @LSMO (6.7) and @kiwichris (12.5)

While there is a lot of balance in the combined handicaps of the teams, with the median combined handicap of the THP Teams at 12.3, is right in line with the historical average 2-Man events like this. There are some teams that seem to provide good line value if things break their way.

Scoring History:
This one is new and there is no scoring history for this one, but the 2-Man Stroke Play Events have historically rewarded the THP Universe with great finishes… This is one follow that you will not want to miss.

Now our attention turns to this year’s edition, who will survive Ballyhack and become a Champion?

Last edited:
  • Staff
The 2024 Bag Boy Championship: Odds to Win

Anime Gods: 8/5-
I know what you are saying, this number may be more based on my heart more than my head, but there is a lot to like about The Artists Formally Known as Muchthor. The last time we saw them they were +18 in Alt Shot & Shamble Combined, they will have to do better if they hope to win. They are a full 7 strokes lower than the median average and have the profile of a team that should be able to survive the harder formats. They have learned from last year’s debacle and will be better because of it. I don’t normally like Low/Low pairings because the lower number of pops, so they have to be on their game. They have the ability; the question is can they put it all together? I love them & you love them, and I really want to believe in them. Because of these things, they will go off as the favorite.

Aquamen: 6/5- If you have been following these for a while, you would know that I normally like Low/Mid & Mid/Mid pairings when handicapping who will make a run in these types of events. This pairing fits that Low/Mid profile that I like so much. I believe that this could be a team that is in the mix and hanging near the top of the leader board deep into the event. I might be missing it, because of my Anime love, but they fit the profile of a winner. The last time we saw TTU, he was beating Captain Maynard in singles at The Rivalry. Nashyone is an event rookie, but with the stellar performance of rookies this year, there is no discount given here for a rookie in a team that is 5 strokes lower than the median average.

First In Fun: 2/1- This team that has a track record of being able to find a way to win comes in with a big question mark. JB couldn’t finish at Worldwide, and we must wonder if he can finish here. Ddec has shown the ability to be game, but needs his dance partner to be able to finish the card. They are 1.5 strokes lower than the median average, and if JB is able to gut it out will be there all the way until the end. That is a big if, the number is based on JB being able to give it a go. This Mid/Mid paring also has the profile of a probable winner, if JB is able to play I like this team a lot.

Dynamic Duo: 2/1- Another Low/High pairing that I fall in love with, and either I get their odds right, or they are absolute fool’s gold. This is the type of pairing that is either magic or tragic. They come in at 2.7 stroke below the median average, and they could post a huge red number in Shamble- Best Ball and hold one until the end. It should be noted that Craig has played stelar when we have seen him, and almost won a similar event 2 years ago. He knows the format and the pressure and can guide Perry along. They could be the winner, if they can navigate the Combined Score session.

Smoked Charcuterie: 3/1- This is the last of the team with the historical profile of a possible winner. This Low/Mid pairing is 2.7 strokes lower than the median average. They could be the best value pick on the board, if LSMO can play better than he did in his Morgan Cup appearance. Kiwichris provides what appears to be a steady hand. They have the proper profile, so there is a lot to like about this team.

Packing Chowdah: 5/1- This is the first team to hit the board, that is higher than the median average. They are a Mid/High pairing and this profile hasn’t fared well historically in this format. At this end of the board the game plan is similar, but easier said than done. They must find fairways, don’t let it get away from them, then survive by making their pops count. They are 4.4 stokes higher than the median average. It’s a tall order, but it can be done.

Matcha Latte: 5/1- The last of the Mid/High pairings, they are 4 strokes higher than the median average and will need to make their pops count if there is a path. the path for a win is to play well, and let the field crash around them, as they find a way to limit the damage of the Alt Shot & Combined Score formats.

Touring Purple: 6/1- The only High/High pairing in the field, and a High/High pairing has never held on to win this format. However, in the immortal words of Little Texas, there is a first time for everything. Daluteh is a bonified member of the Hackers World Order and he draws Bus as a partner. They are 10.4 strokes higher than the median average; this is a high deviation in the historical look back. They come in knowing that a High/High pair has a lot of work to do and needs everything to break their way for a win. Bus being the low cap of the pairing, knows that he will have to get them in play off the tee, then make all the pops hold up.

Last edited:
Jumped the gun before, this is going to be an awesome show!

Welp know what I'm doing on Friday night.

Nope I'll be there trying to figure out who to set my coins on fire with on this one.
If you want the best return on investment - I can give you some inside tips.

Excited for this show!

This show is already qook'd..

I'm going to take Touring Purple here. Watch out for those guys.
Steve Harvey Familyfeud GIF by ABC Network

Will do my best to watch this one live

Will finally get to watch this one live!

I’ll be there!!!

Back