Telling people what you do for work.

rhinosparky

Reaction score
Handicap
Do you tell new people you meet what you do for a living?
I usually do, but i regret it. I am an electrical contractor, and any time someone such as a neighbor finds out, they all have a ceiling fan or a switch that isn't working that "will only take you a couple of minutes". No homeowner project takes a couple of minutes, as it takes a return trip with the right parts or they started it and totally hacked it in.
I have started telling people I am a gynecologist, as I dare them to ask me to come over and look at their little issue. :ROFLMAO:

My friends and family rarely need a DataDude.

Lately I regret it. Mostly because my company started doing business in the community I live in and now I get asked all sorts of questions I don't have the answers too.

There's some jobs where i could see this being annoying. But i always feel like you have to know someone really well to ask for favors, or you should expect to pay them. I have a friend who is a master electrician and he changed our electrical box for cost. But he's a good friend.

Mechanic, plumber.....all of these things. I could see not wanting to tell acquaintances

I have a white collar job so no one is gonna ask me for anything unless they want a job at my company

I Say Trade Compliance. They look at me funny and I say you know the old NAFTA, now USMCA stuff.
They get this, and then they say something like, nice weather today, eh?"

@Daluteh My wife (also a HR mgr.) agrees with you unless it's a resume issue, then they come flocking to her.

Depends. As I have my day job, Health Care Administration, and that usually leads down one or two paths, especially if someone is trying to navigate the paths of Florida Medicare and Medicaid.

The other, owning a retail bicycle shop, that's at least fun to talk about. Until someone wants something!

I’m a computer programmer and no I won’t fix your printer

I’m a computer programmer and no I won’t fix your printer
Should I try turning it off and then turning it back on first?

Depends. As I have my day job, Health Care Administration, and that usually leads down one or two paths, especially if someone is trying to navigate the paths of Florida Medicare and Medicaid.

The other, owning a retail bicycle shop, that's at least fun to talk about. Until someone wants something!
Unrelated - could you send me that new Garmin GPS watch? kthx

I usually do, but it isn't like someone is coming to me clamoring for extra help with their shipping and receiving needs lol.

I work in Produce (mostly sales/distribution now) and used to export to SE Asia. I remember meeting my at the time girlfriends boss (who was quite high up at Merril Lynch) what I did and she paused, and replied, hmm, never would have though of that as a job.

She was obviously a real delight.

I was once mistaken for a podiatrist, long story.

I work in HR, most people want nothing to do with me in my professional capacity.
I also work in HR and get a million questions. Anytime something happens at someone's job. I am the first person they call.

Of course I do. I work for the place that hosts the best golf experiences in the world. Damn proud of it

I just tell them I play trucks and trailers all day. Not fancy so they don't ask any follow up questions.

I usually do, but i regret it. I am an electrical contractor, and any time someone such as a neighbor finds out, they all have a ceiling fan or a switch that isn't working that "will only take you a couple of minutes". No homeowner project takes a couple of minutes, as it takes a return trip with the right parts or they started it and totally hacked it in.
I have started telling people I am a gynecologist, as I dare them to ask me to come over and look at their little issue. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah it's tough as a contractor. Avoid at all costs.

With golf stuff I just keep it vague initially. Don't mention which companies and places I work for.

If people ask I just say corporate lending.

Kind of hard to explain in full what we do and as soon as people heard trading they think I can be their financial advisor

if they ask i'm vague, if they persist i'll explain.
but i live confidently knowing that i won't get asked for work-related favors.

I just tell them I’m in corporate risk or underwriting. When I would say credit risk people would jokingly say “hey, don’t go looking at my credit score” and it got old quick

I tell people if they ask. I do have a stupid job title though, Superintendent of Field Operations. It’s easier to say Airport Operations Manager even though I’m demoting myself by saying that LOL.

Unless it's your 85 year old neighbor's incontinent wife

I do when asked. I find about 1/4 of the people (a good amount of tech companies in my area) know what a product manager does. The other 3/4 ask "what's that?" and their eyes begin to glaze over as I explain it.

I understand a lot of these, I’m an assistant superintendent at a general contractor. No not residential.

Back