Tee up Wedges on Par-3s?

For about 60 years many American PGA Tour players have referred to the US Open as the Open and the British Open as the British Open.
Is @OldandStiff secretly an American PGA Tour player? Inquiring minds want to know! :ROFLMAO:

Is @OldandStiff secretly an American PGA Tour player? Inquiring minds want to know! :ROFLMAO:
Miley Cyrus Nod GIF by The Voice

Every chance I can tee the ball up, I’m taking it. Don’t care which club I’m hitting. If it’s a wedge, it just gets teed up lower.

Every chance I can tee the ball up, I’m taking it. Don’t care which club I’m hitting. If it’s a wedge, it just gets teed up lower.
Me Too Samesies GIF

I always use tees with irons, on par 3’s but always with short, broken tees.

Only time I'll tee up a wedge is if I'm struggling a lot with fat shots. If I'm feeling good about my ball-striking I'm not teeing up wedges. I'll sometimes not tee up short irons either, but with anything longer I'm always using a tee.

Play a broken tee.

For about 60 years many American PGA Tour players have referred to the US Open as the Open and the British Open as the British Open.
The crusade to call it The Open started in 2016. They wrote it into a television contract with NBC Sports.

I played my first round of the year yesterday and forgot a simple thing that I concluded last season......I cannot and should not tee up my Cleveland wedges on Par-3s.......the tee (even if damn flush with the turf) just catches the club and opens the face...... I know I should of just ditched the tee.

Ideally none of the Par-3s would be short enough to require only a 50 or 54 degree but it was blowing 30+mph and it was downhill.........lol

Do others ditch the tee on Par-3s as well? If so, with what clubs?

Just curious
If the club contacting the tee opens the club face, the tee is the least of your issues.
Try hitting the ball/tee off the sweet spot, not the toe side of it.
You really need a bit more grip pressure. even toed, a little tee opening the club shows inadequate grip srentgth/pressure.

It's probably the ball causing the club face to open, not the tee. Toe strikes will do that.

If the club contacting the tee opens the club face, the tee is the least of your issues.
Try hitting the ball/tee off the sweet spot, not the toe side of it.
You really need a bit more grip pressure. even toed, a little tee opening the club shows inadequate grip srentgth/pressure.

It's probably the ball causing the club face to open, not the tee. Toe strikes will do that.

Appreciate the thought, but without the tee there is no issue for me.............I am very consistent and accurate with those wedges.

I was just curious as to what others do as never paid attention to it previously.......

The last thing I need is more grip strength, swing speed, etc.

Appreciate the thought, but without the tee there is no issue for me.............I am very consistent and accurate with those wedges.

I was just curious as to what others do as never paid attention to it previously.......

The last thing I need is more grip strength, swing speed, etc.
I don't see how hitting a tee at the horizontal center of mass ( the bottom of the sweet spot) could possibly open the club face. Must be some alternate physics going on here..

Saw a lot of tees at the Par 3 contest last week, but those guys just don’t know.

Tee the ball up at every tee box. Even have smaller tees for use on par 3's.

I don't see how hitting a tee at the horizontal center of mass ( the bottom of the sweet spot) could possibly open the club face. Must be some alternate physics going on here..
Never ascribe to "alternate physics" what can be explained by "mental". If someone believes that having a tee under the ball will cause a bad wedge shot, their body will contrive some sort of bad swing to make that belief a reality.

Each of us has our own mental ways of making an already difficult game far more complicated than it already is. The "tee messes up a wedge shot" meme is just one possibility.

Nope, I aways Tee. Never had a problem with Tee interference.

"Tee it up whenever you can." Jack Nicklaus

Good for Jack ... good for me. Always

I have a set of Cleveland wedges, and on the occasion I use one off the tee, I always use a tee.

on anything 9i and below on a short par 3, I make a little grass tee and hit it off that. The old hit the ground softly till it makes it pop up a tiny bit and set it on that. I am sure there is a name for it but I don’t know.

on anything 9i and below on a short par 3, I make a little grass tee and hit it off that. The old hit the ground softly till it makes it pop up a tiny bit and set it on that. I am sure there is a name for it but I don’t know.
I have been using a small tee on very short par 3's with wedges. Just at the top of the turf as has been mentioned - but your post reminded me that when I played as a junior one of my playing partners did this all the time one the municipal course we used to play on. I might resurrect that and try it again - it worked for him.

I played my first round of the year yesterday and forgot a simple thing that I concluded last season......I cannot and should not tee up my Cleveland wedges on Par-3s.......the tee (even if damn flush with the turf) just catches the club and opens the face...... I know I should of just ditched the tee.

Ideally none of the Par-3s would be short enough to require only a 50 or 54 degree but it was blowing 30+mph and it was downhill.........lol

Do others ditch the tee on Par-3s as well? If so, with what clubs?

Just curious
Are you using a full tee? I hate using those in par 3’s as I can feel the iron impact the tee. I quit years ago and just use a broken tee that is just long enough to get in the ground and hold the ball up slightly above the ground.

71hrkxj681L._AC_SX679_.jpg
I use these, they are 1" total length and barely stick in the ground. I can't imagine they interfere with my club at all.

For clarity, it was a 3" thick plastic tee pushed down damn near the full length. The tee does not break or "give" when you hit just the very head of it with the rest of the length firmly in the turf. So I don't think any internet "alternate physics" was at play, it was just a bonehead move with a hard plastic immovable object under the ball.

Regardless, I should have remembered I don't need a tee for a wedge.....

In hindsight, my largest mistake was posting this thread. lol

Back