Team Strategy - What would you do?

Team Strategy - What would you do?

• Total voters

Howzat

I'd Rather Be At The Hideaway
Reaction score
Alt. shot w/ 2 man teams and stroke play. Your team is 1 stroke behind with 4 holes to play including the current hole. For the sake of this situation, you will be taking the next shot.

It is a par 4. You have one ball sitting 2 that is fried egg in the bunker with 40 feet between you and the hole. 20 feet past the hole is a canyon. The other option is a ball just off the green with 60 feet to the hole but you are sitting 3. The tournament leaders are on the green with a makable par putt 15 feet out.

Which shot do you choose and why?

Gotta take the bunker shot. The other one you might have to make. From 60 feet, three shots is a distinct possibility.

Also, 15 feet is not a gimme putt ever, so they very well may make bogey. You can still win the hole with a good bunker shot. You also might just leave it in or on the other extreme, fly it into the canyon.

No guts, no glory.

I don't do bunkers, so my partner and I are going to have a real serious chat if he wants to do the fried egg.

~Rock

I agree w/ Smalls. Hack at the fried egg and try to run it up assuming it's a fairly normal lip and not a deep bunker.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

i would wonder what type of grass and slopeis between the back of the green and the canyon. if there's a chance a ball will hang up, i'll probably take the fried egg. but if it's mown closely and/or sloping away, i actually think i would take the penalty. the hazard 20' beyond the pin is pretty scary. the risk of leaving the ball in the bunker or hitting it and taking a penalty sounds pretty high, whereas chipping/pitching and then putting is a real possibility for an up and down.

I'm sure I am reading something wrong, so correct me if I am. But if we are playing Alt Shot, why do I have a choice?

I ain't scared of no bunker shots....gimme the 56 Romes !

I'm sure I am reading something wrong, so correct me if I am. But if we are playing Alt Shot, why do I have a choice?
Just for the sake of the thread.

i would wonder what type of grass and slopeis between the back of the green and the canyon. if there's a chance a ball will hang up, i'll probably take the fried egg. but if it's mown closely and/or sloping away, i actually think i would take the penalty. the hazard 20' beyond the pin is pretty scary. the risk of leaving the ball in the bunker or hitting it and taking a penalty sounds pretty high, whereas chipping/pitching and then putting is a real possibility for an up and down.
If you go over the green expect it to go in the canyon or be unplayable in large rocks.

Just for the sake of the thread.

haha works for me.

We are 1 stroke back and they are 15 for birdie? Give me the shot that gives me an opportunity to pick up a stroke(the bunker shot). However unlikely holing out would be, could always get up and down for a birdie. IMO, it's a little late in the game to throw away strokes.

Bunker. Even if hit a very mediocre bunker shot, odds are the 4th shot from that ball will come from no more than half the distance of the other ball.

haha works for me.

We are 1 stroke back and they are 15 for birdie? Give me the shot that gives me an opportunity to pick up a stroke(the bunker shot). However unlikely holing out would be, could always get up and down for a birdie. IMO, it's a little late in the game to throw away strokes.
They have a 15 footer for par and still 3 holes to play after this one.

If you go over the green expect it to go in the canyon or be unplayable in large rocks.

i think that pretty much seals it for me: take the penalty and try to get up and down for bogey. my partner might disagree, but that would be the play for me.

They have a 15 footer for par and still 3 holes to play after this one.

my answer remains the same. They are 15 for par and I have a chance to get up and down for birdie. Assuming they make that putt(match play always assume they make), it gives me 1 more stroke to play with as they are sitting 3(hitting 4) at 15 feet.

I agree with ddec. Never throw away a stroke. Fried egg from 40 ft isn't an unplayable lie. Play to win to hole, not tie the hole

I'll take the fried egg every time in that instance. Odds are it will go shorter, not longer, than I intend it to and with 40 ft. to work with I'm pretty confident I could get it out and run it up to have at least an outside chance at a par save.

Giving up a full stroke just to get out of a bad bunker lie doesn't appeal to me at all, especially since 60 feet is not an easy up'n'down either.

I don't think going long from the fried egg is a concern, if anything it would be tough to get that ball all the way to the hole. So with that said, it's the obvious play. All I'd have to do, is get it out of the bunker, and it's better off than the 60' par putt, considering the bunker is only 40' from the hole.

I would go with the fried egg. It gives my team a better chance at par.

I like my chances from off the green. I feel that I have a better chance of holing that shot or at least putting it in a closer distance that would at least ensure a bogey at worst.

The other fried egg lie is a crap shoot. I would not like my chances of really catching and sending it ob or in a hazard and making a double or worse. That is not the percentage play imo

I have more control over the result of the ball off the green laying 3 than the fried egg. I will take the 60' chip and plan to get it close of not making it.

I am taking the fried egg and not thinking twice about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm taking the fried egg. I can get out of a bunker and have a look at birdie. Unless the greens are ungodly fast I'm probably not going in to trouble.

Bunker shot with my 60° PM Grind. No question. That thing is like cheating out of the sand it gives my partner a closer option without putting a ball out of play.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Unless the bunker shot is one of those with an incredibly awkward or non existent stance, the fried egg lie is the play IMO. At worst, I can normally get that kind of bunker shot somewhere on the green, leaving anything > 20-25' would be a big disappointment to be honest. Also there's at least a chance to hit it close or hole it, squaring up (and possibly even taking the lead) in the match. A HUGE momentum swing is possible. If this scenario occurs June 10th at TCI you can count on Show Me Prairie breaking your heart Cap'n.:wink:

The putt ... always and twice on Sunday.
I'm pretty sure I can get the putt within tap in distance for a gimme 5. That will at least shrink the hole for the other team

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back