TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

Good points, they won't be the longest iron out there, but then again they're not really trying to be either. They are as consistent as the person swinging them however and if someone has a decent repeatable swing these irons are definitely a very solid choice. As far as what you said about growing into these irons, I believe that a player could grow into them without it taking a really long time actually. Sure you won't be hitting the 3 iron 240 yards, but knowing that going in should help make the transition easier (and quicker).

I should not come into this forum. I do love these clubs, are they causing a little remorse with my CB's, maybe a little. I love the CB's, but these have it all in terms of looks. My CB's are definitly longer and MUCH more forgiving. These have a totally different feel to them when hit solid. Thats to be expected with a blade as there is not much in terms of club hitting ball (space like a cavity). I will say that these could teach a patient person with strong hands the importance of a fluid and deliberate swing. If you need coaching, these are not for you. Your hands and arms will tell you so after a few hosel rockets. At the very least, if your game does not match these, you will look great missing. Maybe even make some friend who can show you how to hit these. :)
Are these for everyone, NO. Could they be for anyone, perhaps. With these irons (CB, MC, MB) I think it is about what you want. I am at the stage where distance and accuracy are important with workability lower on the list. These are "feel" clubs, plain and simple in my opinion and will allow that degree of workability. Without delay here are my as of now pro and con

Pro's
Works of art, so nice
Swing weight is perfect
working the ball
stock shaft
the look and perhaps feeling of "I am not plaing around with these clubs, I am confident I will shoot at least 75".

Cons
Not very much if any forgiveness, they will scare you into making good contact (this could be a pro)
Need to be confident and fluid in your swing

A CPGA golf pro I know said that he had no idea why these are offerd to the public, after hitting them numerous times. I feel that this option for the "better" player is warranted. Go hit these clubs, if your a tad put off, hit the MC or CB and see how much better your ball striking is...

I doubt i could hit the 3-6 iron consistently but I hit my pw and 8-9 iron solid uSually all the time. Have to check em out.

I hit these JRod and I absolutely loved them. I didn't hit them enough to say yes but I could easily see throwing some in the bag. Not sure my scores would love it but they felt amazing light and easy to swing. Really nice in hand.

As Jake said anyone get out and try these yet? An amazing club that should be given a shot...it would be money well spent. I know they aren't for alot of people but don't cheat yourself!

I'll be taking them out again in about 2 hours for a round with Hawk.

Saw the MCs at Golf Galaxy yesterday. I really love the look of these irons and the top line isn't too thin. I haven't hit them yet, but man do they look nice.

Interestingly enough, they were out of the MC's.

I'm going to take these out for a spin soon.

I'll be interested to see the sales figures after a while to compare sales of the CB, MC and MBs. I have a feeling just simply based on how the flow of the threads on here are going that we'll see CBs outselling the MCs fairly closely and the MBs will be well behind that. Which makes sense simply due to the number of golfers that can benefit from each set. It really is smart of TMaG if you ask me.

As for the actual game play of the MBs, now that the temps are warming up and I am getting more reps in I can see that these are definitely an iron you can build up a level of comfort and confidence with, but it's not easy. If these end up being in my bag permanently I'd definitely be going to a 2 hybrid setup and probably 5-PW in the irons. More to come.

Agreed. I wonder if TM is hoping for big sales numbers from these lines or given the price tag, are willing to settle for 'some' sales knowing their bread and butter will always come from woods. That these irons are more about getting their foot in the door with forging/higher priced irons/giving the consumer more choices at a higher price point

I'll be interested to see the sales figures after a while to compare sales of the CB, MC and MBs. I have a feeling just simply based on how the flow of the threads on here are going that we'll see CBs outselling the MCs fairly closely and the MBs will be well behind that. Which makes sense simply due to the number of golfers that can benefit from each set. It really is smart of TMaG if you ask me.

As for the actual game play of the MBs, now that the temps are warming up and I am getting more reps in I can see that these are definitely an iron you can build up a level of comfort and confidence with, but it's not easy. If these end up being in my bag permanently I'd definitely be going to a 2 hybrid setup and probably 5-PW in the irons. More to come.

Agreed. I wonder if TM is hoping for big sales numbers from these lines or given the price tag, are willing to settle for 'some' sales knowing their bread and butter will always come from woods. That these irons are more about getting their foot in the door with forging/higher priced irons/giving the consumer more choices at a higher price point
I agree that TaylorMade is first and foremost thought of for their drivers and metal woods lineup, there is no denying that. They have made some really solid iron sets in the past but they just haven't been able to capture that as their "thing" but I don't think they're going to settle for anything but to try to be the best. This is a really good step in that direction, especially with offering all 3 lines like they are. As a whole the Tour Preferred Forged line may do very well in comparison to overall market share. They are definitely on to something in a new direction for TM so I hope to see some good results and an even bigger push to the iron "big boys" out of TaylorMade now.

I haven't seen the Shell Houston Open WITB yet but I'm hoping to see some of the TM staffers putting these in their bags. Next week will be a big telling tale as to what they're thinking about them, I know DJ and Justin Rose both had them for a while then they were out, wonder if they'll be back?

Now that the weather is warming up I'm finding these irons are a lot more playable, nothing stings worse than a blade iron in 40 degree temps....don't say I didn't warn you. But today it was 63 out and it just so happened to be my best day outside with these irons, coincidence? I think not. My swing is really getting back into proper form as well so that really helps a lot too. I do find myself trying a little too hard with these at times. If I see a couple marginal shots in a row I'll start pressing and that only makes it worse. I nice tension free swing is best with these for me, also that tip that Jim Flick gave me about grip pressure really holds true with these too.

They're good....the biggest question is if I'm good enough for them. Sometimes yes, some shots, no.

So Jake, we have talked quite a bit (in the CB thread) about whether or not those irons are what we really need for our game. I know that you aren't hurting for distance, but if I gave you a choice of the the MB's or the 2.0's today, which would you choose?

Now that the weather is warming up I'm finding these irons are a lot more playable, nothing stings worse than a blade iron in 40 degree temps....don't say I didn't warn you. But today it was 63 out and it just so happened to be my best day outside with these irons, coincidence? I think not. My swing is really getting back into proper form as well so that really helps a lot too. I do find myself trying a little too hard with these at times. If I see a couple marginal shots in a row I'll start pressing and that only makes it worse. I nice tension free swing is best with these for me, also that tip that Jim Flick gave me about grip pressure really holds true with these too.

They're good....the biggest question is if I'm good enough for them. Sometimes yes, some shots, no.

So Jake, we have talked quite a bit (in the CB thread) about whether or not those irons are what we really need for our game. I know that you aren't hurting for distance, but if I gave you a choice of the the MB's or the 2.0's today, which would you choose?
Man....so if right now you said to me, you can have 1 of these 2 sets, which would I take? Right at this point it would be the 2.0s just because I know that I can get around the course better without having my best swing. Now my goal is to get my swing to where I can and will game the MBs full time. But yeah if you were here at my door to take away 1 set and leave me with one I'd be keeping the 2.0s today.

Man....so if right now you said to me, you can have 1 of these 2 sets, which would I take? Right at this point it would be the 2.0s just because I know that I can get around the course better without having my best swing. Now my goal is to get my swing to where I can and will game the MBs full time. But yeah if you were here at my door to take away 1 set and leave me with one I'd be keeping the 2.0s today.

That's a good honest answer and I appreciate it, Jake.

That's a good honest answer and I appreciate it, Jake.
Yeah that's 100% honesty right there. I know that in my mind I can and will get to the point of being able to play the MBs quite well, but today I'm just not quite there.

Yeah that's 100% honesty right there. I know that in my mind I can and will get to the point of being able to play the MBs quite well, but today I'm just not quite there.

Nothing wrong with that. Hell, I wonder if I have enough game to be successful with the CB's. In the end, it's about shooting the lowest score, not what iron you play. I loved the MB's when I hit them and I love to see the ball flight when Jrod hits them well.

Interesting about the sales expectations. I was talking to the golfsmith employee and he believes the MCs will be the biggest seller of the 3 by far? I questioned him on that, because I also believe the CBs are probably most suited to most golfers of the 3 choices, but he was adamant they'll selll MCs the most.

By the way, next time I'm there, I'm going to try and hit a few MBs to compare to the MCs. My guess is that I'll really like the MBs, specifically in the short irons....

Interesting about the sales expectations. I was talking to the golfsmith employee and he believes the MCs will be the biggest seller of the 3 by far? I questioned him on that, because I also believe the CBs are probably most suited to most golfers of the 3 choices, but he was adamant they'll selll MCs the most.

By the way, next time I'm there, I'm going to try and hit a few MBs to compare to the MCs. My guess is that I'll really like the MBs, specifically in the short irons....
I think you'll like the MBs a lot too, you seem to have taken to the MCs quite well which tells me that you are a good ball striker, which is a must for the MBs. The set I have will also be at the outing so you can hit them there as well.

P4B, nice honest answers. I am sorta like you and that I play the Titleist MB's which I love except around 3 or so times a round I have a very slight mishit which ends up 40 ft. short of a back pin or short of the green with a front pin. I played the AP2's for 3 years prior and I have been thinking really hard in going back to them when my game is slightly off. I also my go to a combo set of 4 iron, 5 iron, 6 iron and 7 iron in the AP2's and the 8-PW in the MB's.

P4B, nice honest answers. I am sorta like you and that I play the Titleist MB's which I love except around 3 or so times a round I have a very slight mishit which ends up 40 ft. short of a back pin or short of the green with a front pin. I played the AP2's for 3 years prior and I have been thinking really hard in going back to them when my game is slightly off. I also my go to a combo set of 4 iron, 5 iron, 6 iron and 7 iron in the AP2's and the 8-PW in the MB's.
That would be a heck of a setup VTH. I also think I could do like you and get a 24* hybrid to just go 5-PW of the MBs. There are a few shots on my course that I'd need to be able to really trust that 5 iron though. I'd really like to think I can handle that though. The added benefit the rest of the way down the set would definitely be worth it.

That's interesting. Because people will view these as 'blades' that they can actually hit and look fierce on the course? Or because people if given the choice don't want a CB if a middle option is available between that option and a true blade?

P4B, if KJ Choi can use a 3, 4, 5 and now a 6 iron hybrid at Augusta I have no problem playing a 4 iron hybrid. I use a 4 hybrid in order to get my distance gap correct. I hit my 5 iron 183-186 yards but was only hitting my 4 iron consistenly 192-194 yards for some reason. I put the 4 hybrid in the bag and I can hit it either 200 (very easy or knock down) to 210 which gives me the 12-18 yard gap that I look for in my long irons. I also can hit my 4 hybrid closer than most of my playing partners can hit a 5-6 iron. I am just so much more consistent and do not get near as punished with a hybrid miss as I do a 4 iron miss.

Went to the range with the coach tonight (Wife). It's amazing how someone who watches alot of golf but doesn't play much can find one simple thing and voila, it's back. This is the first time all year I've been out in above 50* with basically no wind and boy was it nice. I was averaging about a club longer than my previous irons, and once I got my setup back in order I was striking the ball magnificently.

Two regulars at the range I visit every night hit the clubs as well and loved them also. If you have the game for blades I can't imagine anything better out there. I have hit Nike's 2009 offerings, Clevelands CG1's, Titleist ZB's, among others, and these are by far and away a much better club, in my opinion.

Sergio is playing these this week, first I've seen of them so far. I'll be scouting out on Justin Rose and DJ later!

Just got my MB's in today!
Quick question: Does anyone know if the TM wrench also works for the swing weight screw on the irons?
My PW has a loose swing weight and I'm hoping that it doesn't have to go back to be tightened.

Quick question: Does anyone know if the TM wrench also works for the swing weight screw on the irons?
My PW has a loose swing weight and I'm hoping that it doesn't have to go back to be tightened.
I don't know but I can try after work as I have a wrench for the R11 and the irons in my vehicle right now.

Congrats on the purchase, I can't wait to hear how they work for you!

Found someone selling one on ebay...looks like it is a different wrench. Guess I am off to the hardware store to find something that will work.

Back