TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

my bad, not enough coffee yet. this is why it's important for everyone to hit irons before they buy them if possible because in my experience so far with these, I don't think these are head heavy in the least. in fact I wish there was a little more weight to them (head or shaft, take your pick) in general because I think the balance may be TOO good for these sometimes.
I said clumsy. Not clunky. I think that these are definately the most sleek CB's out there, but Im just not used to feeling the heavier head. And although the turf interaction is great with these they just don't quite cut through like I'm used to. Nothing that detracts from performance. Just different than what I'm used to.

Kind of like driving a Shelby Cobra as opposed to a Porche. Both great, but in their own right. Make sense?

Colt, congrats on the new irons, btw! Hope you really enjoy them.

You would like my laptop....Its forged and buttery soft.

I'm not a huge "buttery feel" person. I like it and it's a plus. But I won't be turned away from a club that feels like a wooden bat if I hit it good.

Oh, and I'll like your laptop regardless of feel as long as it's not a Dell!!!

...but I could still hit these good on an off day.

The flight gets up in the air quick, but it's not lazy by any means. Really jets up but never balloons on you. The feel is purely forged like, which I really enjoy. I didn't feel like I was hitting a partially cast club. The bigger head seemed a little clumsy to me when I was swinging it, but I can deal with that. I also really appreciated the fact that they hid the cavity from view at address in all of the irons.

I appreciate these comments on the CBs. They are some of the reasons I bought mine as well - which will be delivered today if all goes as planned. I'm not the most accurate ball striker and lack consistency from weekend to weekend. So the larger heads and sweet spot are definitely a benefit for me. I also liked the relatively narrow topline - but still with enough beef to give some level of comfort to this hi-capper. And absolutely the non-visible cavity is a huge feature that makes these clubs attractive. I ordered mine starting with the 4 iron, and depending on how well I strike that club, I may add the 3 iron in a future order.

You would like my laptop....Its forged and buttery soft.

It may be forged, but how's the turf interaction? Lol.

Based on the leading edges that are known to carve up hands and arms, I would say pretty sharp.

Based on the leading edges that are known to carve up hands and arms, I would say pretty sharp.

??? Should I not mention these things? Am I just beating a dead horse? I don't get it.

??? Should I not mention these things? Am I just beating a dead horse? I don't get it.

It has nothing to do with your post Colt....No worries. Just the thought behind forging meaning soft.

Oh, I'm fine. Just wasn't sure if it was an inside joke or I y'all just felt like I was regurgitating old comments.

I've read up on the cast vs forged debate and I understand where y'all are coming from. I have hit plenty of cast clubs that have been soft and hard as a rock. However, I will admit I usually go into a cast iron expecting the worst as far as softness goes. Maybe I should dispell that thinking.

Oh, I'm fine. Just wasn't sure if it was an inside joke or I y'all just felt like I was regurgitating old comments.

I've read up on the cast vs forged debate and I understand where y'all are coming from. I have hit plenty of cast clubs that have been soft and hard as a rock. However, I will admit I usually go into a cast iron expecting the worst as far as softness goes. Maybe I should dispell that thinking.

I have an old iron (cast) set in the basement. I took the 7 iron to the range a few weeks back to hit with the burner 2.0's and the CG16's 7 iron. It was a Night and Day experience. I felt every shot from head to toe with the old cast set. I felt like I had to try and muscle every ball I hit. The new technology in the CG 16's and Burner 2.0s' really make a huge difference in swing tempo, because you don't feel like you are swinging a heavy metal rod. Later that day when I tried the forged goodness of the CB's, I knew I was in heaven. As One-T said a billion post earlier, the feeling of forged goodness is really hard to put into words. "Buttery" might be the best adjective to describe them so far.

for those attending the outing....mine will be down there if you would like to hit them at any point.

Yet you do use cast wedges and a cast putter.
In the end it does not matter because most of the time in golf, perception is reality apparently.

As One-T said a billion post earlier, the feeling of forged goodness is really hard to put into words. "Buttery" might be the best adjective to describe them so far.

Im pretty sure he was being a little sarcastic in regards to the process to make the clubs having an affect on how they feel.

Yet you do use cast wedges and a cast putter.
In the end it does not matter because most of the time in golf, perception is reality apparently.

Im pretty sure he was being a little sarcastic in regards to the process to make the clubs having an affect on how they feel.

Makes sense.

Need to stop reading this thread, these irons are out of my price range (and probably skill range) but now I'm going to have to try them at the outing.

So today was one of those days at work. When I got home everything was better because I was greeted by a beautiful set of CB's. Before I opened the box I pulled out the shipping form and read over the contents of the box. Everything seemed great until.... I read the line that said shaft length of clubs: Standard. Nooooo!! I ordered +1/2'' shaft length clubs. I pulled out the 7iron and measured it and it confirmed my fears;these are standard length clubs. So I contacted TM and I am going to send theses back. It just really stinks since I've been waiting for these clubs and now I have to send them back.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

That sucks dude. Sorry to hear it.

Posted via Tapatalk.

Sorry to hear that. I can't play mine yet cuz the snow. I would rather not have them then
Looking at them all the time... From my range time, they are worth the wait! TM should have those
Back to you in no time

Mardin -

Sorry to hear your news. I know the wait is dreadful and you just gotta keep your mind off the clubs as much as you can. I've been waiting 10 days for custom left handed 2 degrees up, and I just keep trying to put it out of my mind, with little success. Good luck on the return and future receipt of your correct clubs. You have my sympathies dude! But just think of the extra pleasure when they come in right!

I just want to send them back as soon as possible so I'm not tempted to pull them out and waggle them non stop in my basement.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

So today was one of those days at work. When I got home everything was better because I was greeted by a beautiful set of CB's. Before I opened the box I pulled out the shipping form and read over the contents of the box. Everything seemed great until.... I read the line that said shaft length of clubs: Standard. Nooooo!! I ordered +1/2'' shaft length clubs. I pulled out the 7iron and measured it and it confirmed my fears;these are standard length clubs. So I contacted TM and I am going to send theses back. It just really stinks since I've been waiting for these clubs and now I have to send them back.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

dang!! That sucks bro!! Oh well, I guess it could be worse.

I just have to show club love today. My irons were $$$ on the range. I am beaming with confidence and cannot wait till next week to course test the CB's. Just so smooth and "forgiving". Eveytime I take one out it's like the clouds part and sun shines on them. What a great feeling

Glad these are working for you already Mark!
I just have to show club love today. My irons were $$$ on the range. I am beaming with confidence and cannot wait till next week to course test the CB's. Just so smooth and "forgiving". Eveytime I take one out it's like the clouds part and sun shines on them. What a great feeling

That is awesome! You really need to get a job writing advertising copy. Heck, I'd almost go right out and buy them again - maybe with the KBS Tour shafts this time.

Woooo Hoooooo!

My CBs arrived today and they're nestled securely in the trunk of my car. I peeked in the box and they sure are pretty. Also retrieved the envelope which is a thank you note and a poker chip ball marker with a code good for a free dozen Penta TP balls.

This feels like Christmas!

I'll take some photos and post them a bit later.

RadRob....woot woot! I'm pumped for you..pictures please.

Back