TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Yea, I knew that the cavity was cast before I got them and I'm honestly surprised we haven't heard more about it. I would assume the metal is the same across all three iron sets, but I don't know? Right now, I don't know if they feel superior to other current irons in their class since I haven't hit any of them yet. Hopefully, I will be able to do that soon and get a good comparison.

Hi guys,
The CB according to TM is a forged face and cast back that is plasma welded. I think it feels great and I am loving em. The MC's did not really vary that much from a feel perspective, the MB's did as they are pure blade. I think (advertising playing tricks) and feel that this club feels different upon contact (pure) than my R9's. In the end, it really does not matter to a player like myself if its forged or cast, the end result is what I want. I have gotten that with these pretty ladies.

I am selling my place right now, and we had visitors looking at it. All my clubs were out of wack (I am rather meticulous when it comes to positioning) so they must have really wanted to take these out. I know they were eyeing my R11 for sure. Once you seing these you may really forget about forged vs. cast and how they assembled it. Such a great feel (sound and impact).

Finally got a chance to demo the CB 6 iron today on a simulator only, and for now i'm sticking with my Diablo Forged. Nice irons, but they looked/felt a tad big to me and i wasn't blown away by the feel like i was when i demo'd the Diablo Forged. I would describe the feel as muted, reminded me of the Titleist AP1 in many ways. The irons look nice and i could definitely bag them, but they weren't enough to make me move on from the DF.

Hi guys,
The CB according to TM is a forged face and cast back that is plasma welded. I think it feels great and I am loving em. The MC's did not really vary that much from a feel perspective, the MB's did as they are pure blade. I think (advertising playing tricks) and feel that this club feels different upon contact (pure) than my R9's. In the end, it really does not matter to a player like myself if its forged or cast, the end result is what I want. I have gotten that with these pretty ladies.).

I could not have put it better myself. The forged concept takes root in these club with the cast ease and forgiveness tacked on beautifully. I love these clubs and how they are just technologically organic.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

Finally got a chance to demo the CB 6 iron today on a simulator only, and for now i'm sticking with my Diablo Forged. Nice irons, but they looked/felt a tad big to me and i wasn't blown away by the feel like i was when i demo'd the Diablo Forged. I would describe the feel as muted, reminded me of the Titleist AP1 in many ways. The irons look nice and i could definitely bag them, but they weren't enough to make me move on from the DF.

Different feels for all, thanks for highlighting your thoughts. It gives others someoptions TP think about.
I have spent numerous hours at the store and range and think these are the cats meow. I have never been a callaway fan, I would put these uP there with mizzies any day. That says a lot

I don't want to get too far off the CB discussion because that is what this is about but I just wanted to add my 2 cents. Last year I bought some forged irons and I was so proud of myself because I had a forged iron and thought that it was a huge leap and that I would never go back to a cast club. Now that I have educated myself more on clubs and I have tried out many sets I realize that forged does not matter. I am currently in love with the R9 TP irons and wish I could buy some because they have GREAT feel, great look, and better distance than what I get with my forged irons. I have not tried shaping my shots much with them yet but I hear they work perfectly for that. There is great technology in cast clubs now so it is important to try out every type of club.

I don't want to get too far off the CB discussion because that is what this is about but I just wanted to add my 2 cents. Last year I bought some forged irons and I was so proud of myself because I had a forged iron and thought that it was a huge leap and that I would never go back to a cast club. Now that I have educated myself more on clubs and I have tried out many sets I realize that forged does not matter. I am currently in love with the R9 TP irons and wish I could buy some because they have GREAT feel, great look, and better distance than what I get with my forged irons. I have not tried shaping my shots much with them yet but I hear they work perfectly for that. There is great technology in cast clubs now so it is important to try out every type of club.

There is a massive thread on this very topic:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...he-Master-Debate&highlight=forged+versus+cast

Hope to hear some thoughts as people get the chance to try them out.

I am the same way Thainer. I am heading to a demo day today and they are supposed to be there. I can't wait to hit them on a range setting. The range private club I am going to has a really nice range. I should be able to see the turf interaction everybody is raving over too.

I am the same way Thainer. I am heading to a demo day today and they are supposed to be there. I can't wait to hit them on a range setting. The range private club I am going to has a really nice range. I should be able to see the turf interaction everybody is raving over too.

DMB, as someone who has only hit them once and can't stop thinking about them, you're going to like them.

DMB, as someone who has only hit them once and can't stop thinking about them, you're going to like them.

Yeah I have heard that before. I am worried about not buying these before the outing. I don't want to break rule number one of the outing.

Don't buy anything before the outing.

Yeah I have heard that before. I am worried about not buying these before the outing. I don't want to break rule number one of the outing.

Yea... as great as these (and the MCs) are- don't do it. You'll thank us when you have a chance to hit EVERYTHING under the sun and compare it head to head.

I can understand wanting to buy something, having some time with them, and then being prepared to play well with them in Florida, but the reason rule #1 is rule #1 is b/c if you wait, you might find something at the outing that works/feels/performs better for you that's not in taylormade's lineup.

Unless the store has a huge line on the simulators, I plan on hitting at least the 5 and 7 irons in CB and MC.

Just as a question for anyone who has purchased these in a store? If you got fitted for them, did the store have the TaylorMade Fitting Cart? I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts on getting fitted for these without the TM cart, and with the TM cart. The reason I ask is that Golf Galaxy should have these clubs today, but I don't think they have the TM Select Fit System. My local pro shop will be getting these clubs at the same time as they get the TM Select Fit System, but they keep pushing off the date they will get everything.

I can understand wanting to buy something, having some time with them, and then being prepared to play well with them in Florida, but the reason rule #1 is rule #1 is b/c if you wait, you might find something at the outing that works/feels/performs better for you that's not in taylormade's lineup.

Yeah true. I am truly going to wait. I really do love my R9s now. I have been playing great with them lately. I have just heard awesome things about the accuracy of these clubs. It is crazy, just a month ago I was planning on going to the outing looking for a driver. Now I am talking about irons!

I do know, whatever I find at the outing. I am going to get a true fitting for them and order then in those specs. I have learned that much in the past 6 months.

Unless the store has a huge line on the simulators, I plan on hitting at least the 5 and 7 irons in CB and MC.

Just as a question for anyone who has purchased these in a store? If you got fitted for them, did the store have the TaylorMade Fitting Cart? I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts on getting fitted for these without the TM cart, and with the TM cart. The reason I ask is that Golf Galaxy should have these clubs today, but I don't think they have the TM Select Fit System. My local pro shop will be getting these clubs at the same time as they get the TM Select Fit System, but they keep pushing off the date they will get everything.

They did not have the heads for shafts when I got fit. I used the mizuno swing analyzer that helped determine shafts. I used a board and impact tape. It was not a major MATT style fitting. I found that these clubs are an extension of my arms and I hit them better than anything before. I am going to keep updating as I want to make sure its not a honeymoon period. I love these clubs at the moment.

If you can wait, I'd think the cart would be the best option? That said, I really do like the stock shafts with the CB's.

If you can wait, I'd think the cart would be the best option? That said, I really do like the stock shafts with the CB's.

The stock shafts are great! I know a lot of people will pay more for the px or kbs, but whatever works. I find the whole club works perfect with my swing, all of the tp do. I a, finding that I am not hitting super high, rather a perching flight in e long irons. The shirt ones do launch high and I like that for control purposes. This is exciting! Go people try em all today

The shafts are just a lighter version of the R/S300's which offer a mid/low flight so I would expect these irons to do so.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

The shafts are just a lighter version of the R/S300's which offer a mid/low flight so I would expect these irons to do so.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I got the impression from my reading that they had a mid flex and offer a little higher ballflight that the 300's. For me, they seem to launch the ball pretty high.

I got the impression from my reading that they had a mid flex and offer a little higher ballflight that the 300's. For me, they seem to launch the ball pretty high.

This was my impression as well- that the XP was designed for a little higher ball flight.

True that playa'

yeah, definatley wait for the outing, as I have said, you can take my clubs for the weekend of the outing, there will be plenty of other clubs there for me to game. That way you make a decision based on performance.

Back