TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Another thing that has been on my mind lately is the feel these irons have on well struck shots. I have heard a million times that good feel is almost like the absence of feel and have never understood the phrase. I understand it now. Pairing a non-range ball with these irons and putting a good shot on them truly delivers on that statement. It's actually kind of odd, because I look up wondering WTH happened and see a great result. Kind of unnerving in a way.

FYI...received a Golfsmith flyer today that will give an extra $100 on iron trade ins when you buy any of the new TM forged irons through the middle of April.

FYI...received a Golfsmith flyer today that will give an extra $100 on iron trade ins when you buy any of the new TM forged irons through the middle of April.

That's good to know! Thanks for sharing that.

One-T/Others, what do ya'll think about the mix and match possibilities....i.e. buying the MC's/MB's in the PW-8i and then finishing the set with the 7i-4i? Do you think people will do this? I plan to have these irons for a very long time so am looking at this as a very real possibility but is there a downside to this thought.

I'm thinking of doing this very thing. I am testing the MCs currently and really like the PW through 7 iron. I can hit the 6 and 5 pretty well too, but I'm thinking I could be more consistent 6 through 4 with the CBs than the MCs. The lower, penetrating flight with the short irons is really what I'm enjoying, but I'd honestly like to hit the 5 or 4 iron a little higher than I do with the MCs.

Another thing that has been on my mind lately is the feel these irons have on well struck shots. I have heard a million times that good feel is almost like the absence of feel and have never understood the phrase. I understand it now. Pairing a non-range ball with these irons and putting a good shot on them truly delivers on that statement. It's actually kind of odd, because I look up wondering WTH happened and see a great result. Kind of unnerving in a way.

The absence of feel is sometimes the best feeling. From what I've been reading from everyones reviews this set is delivering that feeling and more. Keep up the great work.

The absence of feel is sometimes the best feeling. From what I've been reading from everyones reviews this set is delivering that feeling and more. Keep up the great work.

that is correct, these things do feel wonderful.

Ohh this means I might experience the wonderful sound of these clubs in person this weekend. Pumped!!

Ohh this means I might experience the wonderful sound of these clubs in person this weekend. Pumped!!

yes sir!! You can hit them all you want!!

Oh I probably won't hit them as they will be too long for me. I am a tiny dude. But thanks for the offer. I'm just excited to hear them. Those videos sound amazing

Played 18 with these with SW FLA and came away after the round with the same feeling as before but also have made some revelations. A couple of quick hits on these.

1. If you are used to very thick top lines and game improvement type of results when catching the ball a little "heavy" or "fat", these may not work for you. Not that they offer no forgiveness but they are definitely not as forgiving higher up on the club face as a set of Burner 2.0s or something like that.

2. The impact sound and subsequent "feel" after that is awesome. Very good and something I am learning to really like.

3. I dont care what someone says about stronger lofts being the only thing to distance. The mental difference of having an 7 iron in my hand rather than a 6 or a 5 is staggering.

Due to the thinner sole than what I am used to, I found the turf interaction incredibly different. Getting into the ball is awesome, but it did leave me short due to catching the ball a groove or two heavy a few times on the front 9 before getting used to it.

All in all, another solid round with the irons.

your last point intrigues me....do you think that they get through the turf too well thereby catching the ball a little heavier than you're used to?

Played 18 with these with SW FLA and came away after the round with the same feeling as before but also have made some revelations. A couple of quick hits on these.

1. If you are used to very thick top lines and game improvement type of results when catching the ball a little "heavy" or "fat", these may not work for you. Not that they offer no forgiveness but they are definitely not as forgiving higher up on the club face as a set of Burner 2.0s or something like that.

2. The impact sound and subsequent "feel" after that is awesome. Very good and something I am learning to really like.

3. I dont care what someone says about stronger lofts being the only thing to distance. The mental difference of having an 7 iron in my hand rather than a 6 or a 5 is staggering.

Due to the thinner sole than what I am used to, I found the turf interaction incredibly different. Getting into the ball is awesome, but it did leave me short due to catching the ball a groove or two heavy a few times on the front 9 before getting used to it.

Oh I probably won't hit them as they will be too long for me. I am a tiny dude. But thanks for the offer. I'm just excited to hear them. Those videos sound amazing

they are standard buddy!

very nice JB, I would have to agree with your 1st point 100%. 2nd point again I agree, I have said it all along that there is something special with these clubs at impact and turf interaction.

your last point intrigues me....do you think that they get through the turf too well thereby catching the ball a little heavier than you're used to?

No not really, just an adjustment period I think.

I wouldnt think so. remember, ball first contact baby

Thanks for the follow-up info, JB.

yes but for us mere mortals we don't always have that consistency lol
I wouldnt think so. remember, ball first contact baby

Thanks for the feedback JB. I'm very interested to see which irons earn their spot in your bag full time....wait, I almost forgot who I was talking to. Forget it. I'm glad you're liking them!

I am actually seeing a little more forgiveness with the TM irons than with my own on that "slightly fat" shot. At least for me, my previous irons would really dig in and slow the club face way down. It either flung the face open or closed/delofted the face. Either way, a mildly fat shot used to cost me almost half the distance of the club. Now, while my ball doesn't go as far as a clean hit, the club gets through the turf and the face is at a much better position in impact. I think it must have more to do with the irons I used to play, than it does with the MCs I am playing now.

I am actually seeing a little more forgiveness with the TM irons than with my own on that "slightly fat" shot. At least for me, my previous irons would really dig in and slow the club face way down. It either flung the face open or closed/delofted the face. Either way, a mildly fat shot used to cost me almost half the distance of the club. Now, while my ball doesn't go as far as a clean hit, the club gets through the turf and the face is at a much better position in impact. I think it must have more to do with the irons I used to play, than it does with the MCs I am playing now.

I think this might have to do with mats Gus. I mean Im not engineer, but the more mass behind the ball on a thicker topline shot would mean more distance right?

Excellent update JB. I think you touch on some very important aspects of going with these clubs over a set of Burner 2.0's for instance and something FLTC has also mentioned. Is the one to two club difference in distance worth it? If it was, these are probably the club that could convince you to give it up. But Im not sure I could do that.

Excellent update JB. I think you touch on some very important aspects of going with these clubs over a set of Burner 2.0's for instance and something FLTC has also mentioned. Is the one to two club difference in distance worth it? If it was, these are probably the club that could convince you to give it up. But Im not sure I could do that.

I think that is an interesting thought OEM. I know that many will say "its the same thing just one is strong lofted", but for me its a mental thing, I really do prefer hitting an 8 iron to a 6 iron. Call it me being slow, stupid, or anything else, but it is what it is.

Call them jacked up lofts or whatever you want, but I much prefer having a 7 or 8 iron in my hand than a 5 or a 6 iron. There is much less lateral movement with the scoring irons and that typically means an increase in greens in regulation. Shot dispersion is something to consider but I'll take my dispersion with my 8 iron over anyone's CB 6iron.

I like JB's approach to his testing. He seems to be weighing all the benefits and yet not losing his focus on the possible handicaps.

Great stuff JB.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

JB, I'm really anxious to see how these compare to my 4DX pro's. I see these Nickents as a slight cb, thin profile type iron.

Which of these forged offerings from TaylorMade would you think comes closest to those while still offering some forgivness.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

JB, I'm really anxious to see how these compare to my 4DX pro's. I see these Nickents as a slight cb, thin profile type iron.

Which of these forged offerings from TaylorMade would you think comes closest to those while still offering some forgivness.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I think the 4DX Pros compare a little more to the MCs. Both VERY good irons.

Back