TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

I think these are one of the best looking iron sets out there.
Unique for sure.

At first I was really unsure about these, the big screw in the back was a big turn-off for me. Lately however I can't stop thinking about these. Maybe the marketing and hype is seeping into my subconscious. All I know is I am getting fitted for new irons this fall and I really hope these "work" for me.

Well, I will say this...you dont notice the screw in the back one bit, its actually a look that really grows on you. I was in a seperate cart from JB and TC and we pulled up to a tee box and they both just sat and looked at my bag because they thought the irons looked so good. Hell, JB even had to take a picture. Gte past the screw because these irons are what you want.

Whenever I read reviews they always mention how the irons sound. I always glossed over that aspect as I've never really noticed a difference between clubs in terms of sound. But man with One-T's videos there is a noticeable sound that I am hearing when these strike the ball. It's like a meaty thump. I am loving it and I think I need to hear this sound in person. ASAP!!

Yeah, I agree with JB's sentiments. I think sound and feel go hand in hand. I love the sound so therefor I am loving the feel. I have said it numerous times, but I love how effortles these clubs really are.

you don't see the screw at all at address and actually I think it makes the club look that much better.....you should be fine
At first I was really unsure about these, the big screw in the back was a big turn-off for me. Lately however I can't stop thinking about these. Maybe the marketing and hype is seeping into my subconscious. All I know is I am getting fitted for new irons this fall and I really hope these "work" for me.

Great stuff testers!

I love the look of these irons and can't wait to hit them.

Last edited:
Well thanks a lot TC. I was not even thinking about these irons and now I'm just listening to your outstanding videos all the time!!

Yeah, at least you weren't so close to them you could lick them, yet you couldn't hit them. It's torture man. I tell you what, I'm pretty keen to hit these at some point. They look awesome, they sound awesome, and they flight awesome!

is that called 'get your forged on?' Love the fact that you are taken with these so fast....definitely a rarity for TC
Yeah, at least you weren't so close to them you could lick them, yet you couldn't hit them. It's torture man. I tell you what, I'm pretty keen to hit these at some point. They look awesome, they sound awesome, and they flight awesome!

is that called 'get your forged on?' Love the fact that you are taken with these so fast....definitely a rarity for TC

Tell me about it, and I haven't even hit them. I like everything about them: love the industrial look, love the weighting (especially with the stock XP shafts), love the sound, love the turf interaction, just flat out love them! I hate all of you that have them (not really, well, just a little).

Tell me about it, and I haven't even hit them. I like everything about them: love the industrial look, love the weighting (especially with the stock XP shafts), love the sound, love the turf interaction, just flat out love them! I hate all of you that have them (not really, well, just a little).

See, this is what happens when you watch me hit these irons...haha.

I agree bro, its hard to find the negative in these irons!

See, this is what happens when you watch me hit these irons...haha.

I agree bro, its hard to find the negative in these irons!

It's some of the best ball striking I've seen out of you in quite some time. I'm very impressed with your ball striking with them.

It's some of the best ball striking I've seen out of you in quite some time. I'm very impressed with your ball striking with them.

Thanks buddy, I think its because I can smooth these clubs and get excellent results.

Thanks buddy, I think its because I can smooth these clubs and get excellent results.

They should rename them to dart throwers.

They should rename them to dart throwers.

yeah, I was money on the par 3's, except for when I decided to lay up and play to a number...hahaha.

wow, those are some good lookin' irons. Taylormade has done a A+ job for 2011 equipment.

yeah, I was money on the par 3's, except for when I decided to lay up and play to a number...hahaha.

haha gotta love the playing to a number on a par 3. Hopefully the number wasnt a 5 when you walked off lol

haha gotta love the playing to a number on a par 3. Hopefully the number wasnt a 5 when you walked off lol

No, those numbers were reserved for me a time or two, lol. I will say this though, One-T stuffed an iron shot on one of the par 3's, then put on a putting display like I've never seen, hehe

actually, in this instance I did get a 5. I wanted to try and chip with my 9 iron and it didnt work out so well. add a 3 putt to the mix and there you go.

No, those numbers were reserved for me a time or two, lol. I will say this though, One-T stuffed an iron shot on one of the par 3's, then put on a putting display like I've never seen, hehe

yeah yeah yeah....I was the entertainment for the day

I have been following each of the 3 forum's (CB, MB, MC Review Thread) for the past 4 days and have enjoyed the feedback on each. I found the site by trying to google for a release date on these new irons by Taylor Made. I stumbled across each forum and was shocked to see that 10 lucky members from the site were set to receive these awesome looking clubs. This is exactly the feedback that I was looking for and what better way to get it than from 10 everyday golfers like myself.

You guys have given some great information on each set and I can't wait to finally hit these things when they come out. I am really excited about the possibility of mixing and matching these clubs. I have it in my head already about how awesome it would be to have the PW, 9i, 8i and maybe 7i in MB and then finish off the set with the MC's or CB's. How great is it that TM has given this option to us.....getting the scoring clubs in a blade while giving us more help with the longer irons in the form of a cavity back. But guess I won't know till I finally get to hit 'em! I recently bought the R11 and absolutely LOVE this driver! I've been a Callaway guy for the last 10+ years but think it's time for TM to take over my life! :act-up:

Again, thanks to each and every one of you that has provided feedback on these clubs (esp you One-T....making me laugh on almost all your posts!) I will be following each forum till I finally get a set of these in my bag! I hope I like 'em as much as you guys have. I have contacted Golf Tech to get my 1.5 hr evaluation once they come out. Speaking of that...is there a hard release date for these clubs yet? All I've heard is March but can't seem to find anything solid yet?

Awesome post Nate! and welcome to THP. I'm coming to the conclusion, rather quickly mind you, that these irons are something special. I'm not exactly sure when the actual release date is, but I'm pumped that you contacted your local GolfTec to schedule an evaluation and hopefully a fitting.

Glad to have you here man.

Hey Nate, I am glad you have been reading all of the reviews and that you are enjoying it. I would agree with you that it is a pretty cool offering from TM to be able to mix mtach your set with whats best for your game. As you can tell, I have been very impressed with this set of irons. I only have 2 rounds in with them but so far that has been the strongest part of my rounds(iron play). Please check back in and let me know how you liked them at your Golf Tech eval. and I am sure you know by now, if you have ANY questions...just ask! Thanks for jumpin in and posting!

I brought some of these into work today to show some of my co workers what they look like. They were all just stunned at how awesome the look. Not one of the commented in a negative way about the screw. They actually all quite liked it

If Overton played the TP CB's he would've stuck that green.

Is it bad that I am still thinking about irons that I don't own?

Yes.... Haha, Not. If a guy can't dream, what's the point? Think away TC, think away!

not at all! but your right, then he would be stickin greens like I was with these

The dilema for you TC is if you get the honor of being a Callaway tour player you get to game a Razr Hawk tour, but if you get the honor of being a TaylorMade staffer you get to game the TP CB's. Thats not a bad spot./

I brought some of these into work today to show some of my co workers what they look like. They were all just stunned at how awesome the look. Not one of the commented in a negative way about the screw. They actually all quite liked it

I wish I was one of your coworkers, I can't wait to see them in person!!!

Back