TaylorMade RocketBladez Irons Preview

Very interesting to hear the random jumps in distance JB, as I feel like that's a common trait of the Burner 2.0's. Right in the realm of 15-20 yard 'flyers' from basically any type of lie, but strangely more common in the rough for me.

Interesting thoughts on the feedback off the face as well.

I've got a few thoughts coming later today, first day back from vacation is a little hectic. Limited use but I think I got a decent feel for the club.

Nice write up on these JB. I'm kind of surprised your ball flight is lower with these than the VRF. I would have thought these irons would be launching moon balls. When you hit your two shots that carried much farther than the others, did you notice any change in ball flight?

John Deere Tap'n

I didnt notice Staples. But when you hit the ball and assume its pin tracking only to see it carry that far, you pay less attention I believe. At least I do.

Nice thoughts JB. You said thst they were pretty forgiving on the heel and toe, was there a discernable difference in feel & sound on shots that were not in the sweet spot?

Chipped via Tapatalk 2

Absolutely. Like most irons, you can feel it in your hands and the sound is a little harsher to the ears.

Good review JB, how were the wedges? Did you get much of a chance to hit them?

You said the flight was lower than your nike's. How was the ball flight at the end? Did the ball descend rapidly(steeply) like TM suggests they will?

I only hit the AW wedge a couple of times honestly. It is just like the ATV wedge to me in terms of performance. I think that with my swing, most iron shots, especially approach shots descend similarly. Drop with a good amount of spin.

JB's expirience aside TM is only claiming on there site between 6 and 12 feet not yards of added distance in there 6 irons over the leading competitors. So far those worrying that they are gonna mess your game up or force u to play some ungodly long gaps that "shouldnt " be the case. As i hear the hands on reviews and experiences i feel these are built with the needs of the higher handicapper first because most of the tech is exactly what i would have wanted for a set i was getting my dad. I dont know if these will b a hit or a flop but they have the opportunity to b big.

I dont agree at all and dont think handicap has anything to do with it. One can have a single digit handicap and still prefer a forgiving iron. One can also hit it all over the course and use players irons with little forgiveness. Its about finding something that works for an individual, fits their swing and their budget.

Great right up JB, I enjoyed it and I can't wait to hear more, I found it interesting that you saw excellent forgiveness on off center hits- when I saw this with the RBZ irons I couldn't believe it, and I bet it's the same or better as far as forgiveness. Are these lofts stronger than the RBZ or the same? Did you use he stock wedges instead of your other wedges?

Edit: just read you used the AW and that it was ATVish

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

I've got a few thoughts coming later today, first day back from vacation is a little hectic. Limited use but I think I got a decent feel for the club.

I'll be looking forward to these thoughts you have.

Thanks JB, I was wondering if that was gonna be the case with these and I'm glad to see that it is.

Great right up JB, I enjoyed it and I can't wait to hear more, I found it interesting that you saw excellent forgiveness on off center hits- when I saw this with the RBZ irons I couldn't believe it, and I bet it's the same or better as far as forgiveness. Are these lofts stronger than the RBZ or the same? Did you use he stock wedges instead of your other wedges?

Edit: just read you used the AW and that it was ATVish

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

The lofts are very similar to the original RBZ's lofts.

Yesterday I was able to play a few holes with these irons, not a lot but enough to get a rough idea about them.

Appearance: These are really good looking irons, I was a little worried about the finish and color combo after seeing the pictures on the homepage, but I actually think the yellow meshes well. The club head is obviously larger but it isn't gaudy, I'm glad TM kept the two tone top line as it really does give a visually slimmer look. The grips are the same standard TM grips with a slightly different color combo, I've always enjoyed these grips as they offer ample traction and are durable.

Performance: Exactly what I expected in the short irons. A generous club face that helps you out when you don't catch it perfect. I only hit the longer clubs a few times due to playing from the incorrect tee box, but what I saw was interesting. I missed the heck out of a 6 iron after a poor tee shot on a par 5 and I was totally surprised at the result. Distance was dead on with what I was expecting from a good shot, that rely impressed me. Admittedly I was a little doubting of the slot technology in an iron, that shot changed my mind.

The leading edge is a bit off from my liking, it is more blunted. Lately I've come to like irons that have a little sharper leading edge and that was just something that jumped out at me with these. To be fair the turf on the course was a little firmer than what I typically play so that very well could have been impacting what I felt as well.

Very interesting to hear the random jumps in distance JB, as I feel like that's a common trait of the Burner 2.0's. Right in the realm of 15-20 yard 'flyers' from basically any type of lie, but strangely more common in the rough for me.

Interesting thoughts on the feedback off the face as well.

I don't get that impression from these at all. The face doesn't feel as hot as the 2.0, sure the numbers say otherwise but my hands tell a different story. For instance on a par 3 that was playing 125 I took pitching wedge and swung about 75%, found the front of the green. My pitching wedge from the 2.0 was a 135-140 club. Like JB mentioned I think the lower flight is the main reason for the distance jump on some shots.

Good info SW. The more I look at them the more I like the looks.

They ain't ugly man. I wish I had more time with them, or at least some range time to really tear into it.

Nice review SW.

A quick question for you or JB how do these fit into TM's line? Are they in between the original RBZ's and the R11's?(game improvement, game enhancement) Or are they out there on there own?

JB could you get some comparison pics of them next to RBZ's and R11's?

I have a question too. How much offset are they rockin? Is it minimal or substantial?

Nice write up Danny. You guys have me wanting to hit these badly.

John Deere Tap'n

I have a question too. How much offset are they rockin? Is it minimal or substantial?

I didn't notice it until I took a longer look at the 6 iron beside my 6 iron. I'd say its on par with the 2.0/RBZ, but like I said it doesn't jump out at you.

So JB & SW (sounds like a mixed drink), nice club - yes, revolutionary .... no?

Nice review SW.

A quick question for you or JB how do these fit into TM's line? Are they in between the original RBZ's and the R11's?(game improvement, game enhancement) Or are they out there on there own?

JB could you get some comparison pics of them next to RBZ's and R11's?

To me if anything, they are here to replace the RBZ line that we tested a year ago. I do not have those other sets around to get you comparative pictures. THey are on the Tour Van which will not be accessed for a couple of weeks.

Too early for me to tell D.

I'm interested in know if those 'what the heck' moments are just that, inconsistency in the head or your true distances with the irons. I've played enough golf with you, JB, and you can really move it when you want to. But if these long shots where produced with your normal action, it makes me scratch my head.

I'm interested in know if those 'what the heck' moments are just that, inconsistency in the head or your true distances with the irons. I've played enough golf with you, JB, and you can really move it when you want to. But if these long shots where produced with your normal action, it makes me scratch my head.

Think he just hit the TRUE sweetspot on these during those shots? I'd like to see some impact spots when these appear. I know itd be a pain to track it on every shot and just waiting for one to happen, but it would be interesting to see.

This would be my fear too. Does the slot technology create an inconsistency ? How is the stock shaft ?

This would be my fear too. Does the slot technology create an inconsistency ? How is the stock shaft ?

I guess this is something that would not be as big an issue for me. I know approx how far I hit my irons but never have counted on it being precise. If I flush a shot from what I consider is my average distance (fluxes up to 10 yds per iron) then I figure it is because of a better than average swing/contact. I found the same thing with my RBZ irons when I would nuke one over a green or lay up position. I just figured my swing was spot on and the ball flew further than if I had put my average/normal move on the ball. I suppose there are moments when you nuke a particular iron, like these new Rocketbladez and they give you the :wtf: factor. I also realize that the new irons coming out are much longer than those say 10 years ago, at least for most folks. Technology, stronger lofts, longer shafts, etc. all produce more horsepower.

Think he just hit the TRUE sweetspot on these during those shots? I'd like to see some impact spots when these appear. I know itd be a pain to track it on every shot and just waiting for one to happen, but it would be interesting to see.

There shouldn't be that big of a discrepancy between sweet spot and just off. I have not seen these or hit them so I'm not sure why such a big jump. It doesn't sound like a pull but the ball flight was lower. Maybe just a closed down club face at impact down the line. Time will tell but knowing TM irons, these are probably hot off the face.

I guess this is something that would not be as big an issue for me. I know approx how far I hit my irons but never have counted on it being precise. If I flush a shot from what I consider is my average distance (fluxes up to 10 yds per iron) then I figure it is because of a better than average swing/contact. I found the same thing with my RBZ irons when I would nuke one over a green or lay up position. I just figured my swing was spot on and the ball flew further than if I had put my average/normal move on the ball. I suppose there are moments when you nuke a particular iron, like these new Rocketbladez and they give you the :wtf: factor. I also realize that the new irons coming out are much longer than those say 10 years ago, at least for most folks. Technology, stronger lofts, longer shafts, etc. all produce more horsepower.

Good thoughts my man. Personally however, those nuclear moments could really hurt my game. On the courses that I play- if I fly the greens by 10 - 20 yards- those balls are out of bounds. I don't know if I would personally take that chance. Now if they really feel that great or I feel that the nuclear issue isn't that big after range time then sign me up.

To me if anything, they are here to replace the RBZ line that we tested a year ago. I do not have those other sets around to get you comparative pictures. THey are on the Tour Van which will not be accessed for a couple of weeks.
D.

Thanks JB for your input. I understand not having the other irons around.

How does the sole thickness compare to the current RBZs? They appear thinner.

I don't know dude. Revolutionary is a big word, sure they have some cool tech in the lower irons but with the increase in hybrid use I can't help but wonder how many will benefit.

Something else that I didn't have time to answer is how the transition from 6 iron to 7 iron will be. Given one has the slot and the other does not, it seems like there is a chance of a distance gap.

Thanks JB for your input. I understand not having the other irons around.

How does the sole thickness compare to the current RBZs? They appear thinner.

Similar for me.

I don't know dude. Revolutionary is a big word, sure they have some cool tech in the lower irons but with the increase in hybrid use I can't help but wonder how many will benefit.

Something else that I didn't have time to answer is how the transition from 6 iron to 7 iron will be. Given one has the slot and the other does not, it seems like there is a chance of a distance gap.

I asked this very question on the radio show that will go up tomorrow.

Similar for me.

I asked this very question on the radio show that will go up tomorrow.

I'll be listening for the answer. Was carrying the slot through the 9 iron brought up?

Back