Taylormade R9 Irons

This is odd, they must have changed the design as on my 7 iron the R9 is part of the black badge, there is no way it could come off. Unless the R9 part of that triangle is a separate piece from the part below the V.

Vegan-

I thought it was all one piece too. It's not. The part inside the triangle is a very small, very thin badge/label that fits perfectly inside the triangle.

The part you see inside the triangle in the "After" photo is part of the larger insert. The lighter coloring inside the triangle (you can barely see it) is the remnants of the adhesive.

Vegan-

I thought it was all one piece too. It's not. The part inside the triangle is a very small, very thin badge/label that fits perfectly inside the triangle.

The part you see inside the triangle in the "After" photo is part of the larger insert. The lighter coloring inside the triangle (you can barely see it) is the remnants of the adhesive.

Ok, I see now, it is a piece on a piece on a piece, correct? So 3 pieces altogether.

Ok, I see now, it is a piece on a piece on a piece, correct? So 3 pieces altogether.

Yep. Tiny badge or a big insert on a clubhead.

Plenty of pieces on these!

R9_IRON_SS.jpg

Great photos these alone make me want to buy a set

Well, I had my first glue failure issue this morning at the range.

The small, triangular R9 badge (not the large black insert) fell out of my 7 iron. I wasn't been able to find it after it came off. I'm hoping it fell into my bag.

It isn't major, and it won't affect playability at all, but it is annoying.

I will take pictures this evening and post them.

A quick update. I called TM Customer Service this morning and they immediately offered to take care of things. They said that they didn't have any emblems that they could send out at the moment, but I could send in my club through an authorized dealer, and they would fix it.

When I mentioned that I didn't want to be without my 7 iron, they said that they were expecting to get some emblems in at the beginning of the new year and that they could just mail one to me then. That is what I decided to do since the emblem is cosmetic only, and I really really like these irons.

Hopefully the insert stays put.

It sounds like the only problems people are having with these clubs are cosmetic flaws. This must be a solid set of irons to convert Harry. I was almost sold on these after reading this forum, then taking a few swings at the local shop. I'll have to see what I need to have adjusted from the stock set after my fitting.

Put the R9s back in my bag today after working with the other sets for review. They feel right at home and am playing tomorrow.

Great reporting, Harry. Obviously I haven't been around to see this thread develop, so I was shocked to notice in another thread that your beloved Pings had moved out of your signature line. I'm impressed that the clubs seem to have won you over in light of your admitted bias about the Pings. Sounds like these irons could be a great choice for lots of players (if they can keep their gadgets and badges affixed, that is).

For everyone who has tried the r9 Irons. how would you compare them to the 09 burners.

Do they feel similar?
How is the ball flight. higher or lower?
Foregiveness?

Thanks,
Rob

Very different clubs.

The feel is completely different. Softer and a little more feedback is given to that of the Burners.

The ball flight for me is slightly lower on the R9s. A little more penetrating than that of the Burners.

While the R9s are extremely forgiving, they are not as forgiving as the Burners. In my opinion few irons are as forgiving in that category.

Very different clubs.

The feel is completely different. Softer and a little more feedback is given to that of the Burners.

The ball flight for me is slightly lower on the R9s. A little more penetrating than that of the Burners.

While the R9s are extremely forgiving, they are not as forgiving as the Burners. In my opinion few irons are as forgiving in that category.

Agree 100%.

I have demoed other irons. but the burners do have a very nice feel to them IMO. I am always looking for a lower flight. Does the finish hold up as good on them. I used the burners all season and they still look as though they just came out of the box. Taylor Made has really come up with some kind of super finish for them.

The finish should give you no problems.

Would you folks say that the R9's are as forgiving as the R7's?

I would, but the feel and ball flight is VERY DIFFERENT.

Plus the R9s are more forgiving in the long irons.

This thread is for Harry's long term review, but thought I would throw in a post or two about my experience with the R9's. I received the R9s this week, after a dealer error had caused me to receive the R9s with the wrong shaft the week prior. I am using the s300 shafts because I am comfortable with those shafts and am confident in the ball flight they help produce. I have hit about 500 balls on the range and 9 holes of golf with my new R9s.

I REALLY enjoy the feel of the clubs. The best way for me to explain it is "smooth." They give excellent feedback. While not necessarily a bad hit, the club gives you the feedback to know when you hit the ball a groove thin, but more importantly, there is very nice feedback when you hit it well. The feedback is through both "feel" and "sound."

I love the workability of the clubs, but as you know, workability often comes with less forgiveness. Thus, if you would like to compare them to the burners, I think the R9s are less forgiving than the Burners, but much more workable. I prefer to have the workability in my game, but would still like atleast some forgiveness. So far, these clubs appear to accomplish this, but I would like to spend more time with them before I make that conclusion.

As for distance, I hit about 100 balls at a range that has chips in the balls and measures distance. I did not see a noticeable difference between the distance with burners and R9s. Though it does appear the R9s have less offset, particularly in the lower irons.

The club looks good at address and, generally, looks very sharp all around. All-in-all, I am pleased thus far with the clubs.

I've now played about 6 rounds with my new R9 TP irons and I don't have concerns but here's my thoughts up to now. I definitely use to hit my older irons farther. I use to hit my Titleist DCI 822 PW 150-158 yards now I hit my PW 150 yards and struggle to get any more out of it. same story with my lower irons throughout. I know for a fact I don't have an exact feel for what the clubs do yet but it's slowing my game down a little. bummed writing this but I know I'll get them locked in with more time.

Would you folks say that the R9's are as forgiving as the R7's?

I would, but the feel and ball flight is VERY DIFFERENT.
Plus the R9s are more forgiving in the long irons.

I can back JB's statements up about the long irons being more forgiving as they most certainly are. My R9s are back at TM getting worked on, but I am very anxious to get them back. I miss them and their feel.

Ive decided that the R9's, while great sticks, are not the clubs for me. Im just not at the level where I can play them as good as I hoped. I'll have them in the for sale section with pictures later tonight. So if youre looking for a set be sure to check there later.

WOW kevin sorry to hear that man. what clubs are u thinking about getting instead?

Most likely the Burners. They were perfect for my game, as in I need a lot of help lol. If I can find a good deal on them. And sell my R9's, in mint condition.

My new R9's are coming today...just hope I am making the right decision by keeping the R9's over the Burner's.

I can back JB's statements up about the long irons being more forgiving as they most certainly are. My R9s are back at TM getting worked on, but I am very anxious to get them back. I miss them and their feel.

My R9's showed up today and i am just as torn as ever. I hit my Burners beside my R9's and the Burners felt a little better but not sure it was a fair comparison. My Burners have midsize grips and the R9's showed up with standard size grips (they sent a sep package of midsize grips).......i got the R9's in standard length and lie as my initial set of R7's were stock and I shot my all time best 76 with them. I think I may go into GG tomorrow with both sets and make sure they fit. Wish I had some out and could consider another brand.

Back