TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Some great stuff going on in this thread!! I'm pondering, it's hard not too!

I have an update on my R11 7 - wood. I played today and it's the first day I had some less than desirable shots. I can not totally blame it on the club as it had rained really hard the day before and the course was sloggy to say the least. The three shots I hit off the deck were fat with one push to the far right side of the hole I was playing. I honestly can't put the blame on the 7 - wood as from the lies we had today any hybrid or FW would have been hard for me. Ok the good news is, the two times I hit if off the tee were nice shots, good distance and in the fairway.

So I finally felt ready to whip out the R11 driver and see what she could do on 9 holes today. At first, I was hitting it fairly decent. Sound was good.. Shaft felt pretty good.. But I of course wanted to tinker around with it. My first thought was to swap the weights and put the 10 gram on in the toe with everything else neutral. Keep in mind that with my woods I'm normally fight with a fade.

First drive was fairly decent and a slight pull draw. The next drive after that was right on the screws.. longer and better than I have ever seen. The feel on that drive and watching the long baby draw. The next three drives were the same thing. Long, piercing ball flight that was consistently at least 15-20 yards longer than I have hit with any other driver.

Holy cow! I'm slightly surprised that the fade biased weight setup is working for me, but I won't complain. I was happy with my R11 before. Now, I'm in love. My contact is much more consistent which brings out that fantastic sound and feel.

So I finally felt ready to whip out the R11 driver and see what she could do on 9 holes today. At first, I was hitting it fairly decent. Sound was good.. Shaft felt pretty good.. But I of course wanted to tinker around with it. My first thought was to swap the weights and put the 10 gram on in the toe with everything else neutral. Keep in mind that with my woods I'm normally fight with a fade.

First drive was fairly decent and a slight pull draw. The next drive after that was right on the screws.. longer and better than I have ever seen. The feel on that drive and watching the long baby draw. The next three drives were the same thing. Long, piercing ball flight that was consistently at least 15-20 yards longer than I have hit with any other driver.

Holy cow! I'm slightly surprised that the fade biased weight setup is working for me, but I won't complain. I was happy with my R11 before. Now, I'm in love. My contact is much more consistent which brings out that fantastic sound and feel.

Nice, i hit mine today only 4 times since i was reviewing the rescue 11 but i hit 3 bombs with it, they were all perfectly straight which surprised me cause i usually hit a draw, settings were ASP Open with FCT on neutral and 8 gram heel. When i had the 10gram in the heel i was still hitting a nice little 5-10 yard draw. Its hard to imagine -2grams from the heel straightened out my ball flight.

Wow, my club just cooked it here. Just checked the status and it cleared customs already and is already in Winnipeg. Should for sure be here tomorrow then.

Hello folks, I'm back with another installment of "Praise that club!" Today was the first time I played a simulated round with the r11. My tempo was off today and it showed. My miss was left (hook) and when I hit it well, it was a fade that usually found the rough. I realized after some video, I was taking the club to far outside and dipping through impact. The r11 didn't shine, but none of my clubs did. I used it a TON on the simulated round and it hovered around the 205-220 range. The 220's were pure and straight, and the 205's were when I was hitting the fade. One thing I noticed was that it does not like being hit thin. This thing punished my distance (150-170) when hit thin, and the duck hooks were equally punished. On a better note, it didn't mind being hit fat as I still got it out there to about 200. My launch was consistently around 17 degrees when struck well. I did get a golf pride grip put on it.

After my round at simulated St. Andrews (I shot 5+ hahah) I focused on hitting the club on the range setting. I hit 25-30 balls with the 4 wood, and my tempo seemed to have improved. I was consistently hitting it in the 220 range again, but the ball was favoring the center to left side of the fairway. This thing has the makings of a fairway finder that goes further than a fairway finder is supposed to go!

Hi 10YD, You seem to have the same ball flight and trajectory as me, as I too hit a 5 - 10 yard draw. I might have to try your setup. The problem with me is that when I get on the course, I am afraid to change things even during casual rounds. Don't know why that is but I am hitting mine very well and I am afraid to screw it up... lol
Nice, i hit mine today only 4 times since i was reviewing the rescue 11 but i hit 3 bombs with it, they were all perfectly straight which surprised me cause i usually hit a draw, settings were ASP Open with FCT on neutral and 8 gram heel. When i had the 10gram in the heel i was still hitting a nice little 5-10 yard draw. Its hard to imagine -2grams from the heel straightened out my ball flight.

Hi 10YD, You seem to have the same ball flight and trajectory as me, as I too hit a 5 - 10 yard draw. I might have to try your setup. The problem with me is that when I get on the course, I am afraid to change things even during casual rounds. Don't know why that is but I am hitting mine very well and I am afraid to screw it up... lol

you can always go back to the settings that worked, dont be scared lol. Im thinking about even trying a 6gram in the heel instead of the 8 i have in, i mean my drives today were like they were on a rope, i only hit 4 but damn where they good. Ya try the ASP in open, FCT on Standard, and 8 gram heel and 1gram toe that is if you want. I have tons of weights from my Supertri so i have allot of combos i could try, the only weight i dont have is a 4gram and i really want to try 4 toe and 6heel. need to order one

Well I finally got out to the range to hit some balls with the 5 Wood that I am testing, I only got to hit about 15 balls with it before darkness forced me off the course. I had some likes and dislikes with the club. I am already not a fan of the grip, I play a midsized grip so the stock grip felt weird to me and I felt like I was not getting a proper grip. The shaft is a stiff it it felt a bit whippy to me. Nothing really bad but nothing really good either. I REALLY liked the weight of the club head and how it felt throughout the swing. Even with the shaft issues I could feel the club head through the swing. The sound of the club seemed a bit muted but still pleasing to the ear. The ball flight seemed a bit higher than my normal shot, but my 5 wood shaft is fitted to me to play a lower ball flight since I play in alot of wind. Other than that the trajectory and ball flight was good and very playable for me. The distance I seemed to be getting was about 10 more yards with this club than my current 5 wood. I think this is extra distance my be due to the ball flight. the thing that really caught my attention is that my dispersion was much tighter than with my current 5 wood and not by a little bit either, I would have to say by probably a good 10 to 15 yards tighter. My instructor was watching me hit this club and liked how I was hitting it and thinks that with its adjustability we can get it dialed in to get me some more distance. I would have to say that right now this club would have to go in my bag as I think I can get it really dialed in for me. I should be on the range later for more testing and then I will be on the course on Sunday to give it an on course test. I am really looking forward to this as there are a few holes where I normally tee off with my 5 wood and some approach shots that the 5 is my second shot club, so having a comparision against a shot that I know well should really be telling.

Good update royalwulff. So what were you find to be your biggest mis with the club. Also when you mentioned the high ball flight, was it a good high or ballooning? Thanks for the feedback.

Good update royalwulff. So what were you find to be your biggest mis with the club. Also when you mentioned the high ball flight, was it a good high or ballooning? Thanks for the feedback.

My biggest miss seemed to be hitting it to thin, I atribute this probably to it being a new club and getting used to the feel. The higher ball flight was a good higher ball flight it was not ballooning at all. The descent angle was tough to judge but i hope to get this on a moniter soon and get a set of full specs.

My biggest miss seemed to be hitting it to thin, I atribute this probably to it being a new club and getting used to the feel. The higher ball flight was a good higher ball flight it was not ballooning at all. The descent angle was tough to judge but i hope to get this on a moniter soon and get a set of full specs.

Thanks man, looking forward to it.

Had a chance to use this for 3 more rounds as well as some practice over the past couple of days using the Project X 6.5 TP version.

I love the ball flight I get from the club.

I'm a huge fan of the sound.

Next will be getting it dialed in with the other shaft I have for it.

I seem to be losing distance, but only 5-10 yards, but I'm hitting it square in the middle of the face more and I'm hitting more fairways.

I think the club looks great outside and like the fact there isn't any glare.

I will say you have to be careful with this club. I like to leave the headcover off and generally protect the shaft with my putter cover that sits in the same slot on the bag.

As I was taking an iron out of the bag, I clanked the driver and left a scuff mark. I took a photo. I was able to use some turtle wax to buff it out. Looks like I'll have to use the headcover more to protect the club.

442f9991-7a89-427e.jpg

That's all for now.

Wow, my club just cooked it here. Just checked the status and it cleared customs already and is already in Winnipeg. Should for sure be here tomorrow then.

Good deal Dent I know how you have been looking forward to this. I am looking forward to your write up.

Hi folks,
I went to trade up tonight, had my R9 Supertri and 3W. Here are some of my thoughts.
Drivers- R11, is deadly accurate, I only missed about 3 out of 30 shots off the toe. Distance, could have been the sim or my swing, not really impressive. Looks, speaks for itself. Although in my 10 or so sessions with this club, the white stands out if you catch yourself admiring your swing. Alingment is great. SS, very poor, 85-90. Stiff stock shaft.
Supertri- Almost the same accuracy, toe'd 5 tonight, during warm up. Distance, not even close, supertri wins by a longggg way. SS 105 avg. Stock stiff shaft.

Fairways

R11- Nice looks. Deadly straight, popped it out avg 230.
R9- Nice looks, deadly straight, avg 265.

I cannot explain it. Needless to say, did not trade up. I wanted to, R11 is very nice. I have yet to hit the actual range or greens. I will do that Saturday at a demo day.

Hi folks,
I went to trade up tonight, had my R9 Supertri and 3W. Here are some of my thoughts.
Drivers- R11, is deadly accurate, I only missed about 3 out of 30 shots off the toe. Distance, could have been the sim or my swing, not really impressive. Looks, speaks for itself. Although in my 10 or so sessions with this club, the white stands out if you catch yourself admiring your swing. Alingment is great. SS, very poor, 85-90. Stiff stock shaft.
Supertri- Almost the same accuracy, toe'd 5 tonight, during warm up. Distance, not even close, supertri wins by a longggg way. SS 105 avg. Stock stiff shaft.

Fairways

R11- Nice looks. Deadly straight, popped it out avg 230.
R9- Nice looks, deadly straight, avg 265.

I cannot explain it. Needless to say, did not trade up. I wanted to, R11 is very nice. I have yet to hit the actual range or greens. I will do that Saturday at a demo day.

Thanks Mark for giving an honest opinion! Goes to show everyone is not completely content with the R11 and it's good you just didn't force yourself to like it and stayed with what worked best for you.

Thanks Dent,
I have tried and tried to like the R11 which I do. I am a TM fan boy, but it really came down to performance over paint. On the range, I average 290 give or take the odd 330 poke. I also think the R11 feels heavier, specs would indicate it does not (I believe). To each their own. I forgot to mention my thoughts at address. R11 looks sweet. R9 looks a lot bigger which surprised me. I also need to mention it was a marathon like hitting session. But I did take breaks here and there. R11 is nice, just could not trade the ST.
Cheers

Thanks Dent,
I have tried and tried to like the R11 which I do. I am a TM fan boy, but it really came down to performance over paint. On the range, I average 290 give or take the odd 330 poke. I also think the R11 feels heavier, specs would indicate it does not (I believe). To each their own. I forgot to mention my thoughts at address. R11 looks sweet. R9 looks a lot bigger which surprised me. I also need to mention it was a marathon like hitting session. But I did take breaks here and there. R11 is nice, just could not trade the ST.
Cheers

It's interesting you saw that big of a swing speed difference. I was averaging the exact same with my supertri and the r11 - it just killed all spin for me.

Tap before talk.

It's interesting you saw that big of a swing speed difference. I was averaging the exact same with my supertri and the r11 - it just killed all spin for me.

Tap before talk.

Ya I was surprised too. This was just tonight though. I have had higher just last Saturday. Tonight could have been an anomaly but there was a big diff. The club lust is wearing off though and I will see at this weeks demo what exactly is goin on TM monitors

Ya I was surprised too. This was just tonight though. I have had higher just last Saturday. Tonight could have been an anomaly but there was a big diff. The club lust is wearing off though and I will see at this weeks demo what exactly is goin on TM monitors

I'm going to another store tomorrow to see if my launch angle is so low on there machine. Hopefully the swing speed was accurate though!!

Tap before talk.

I'm going to another store tomorrow to see if my launch angle is so low on there machine. Hopefully the swing speed was accurate though!!

Tap before talk.

I was thinking that I really need to get outside. My faith in launch monitors is low as I can never believe the data. Regardless, the R11 series is really nice looking. I liked the sound, but I love a huge impact sound that the ST has.

From my experience and of course this is just my opinion!!! Unless you are using a LM like Trackman or Flightscope outdoors, I would take any numbers on the indoor simulators with a grain of salt. I have found them inaccurate and in some cases they are set to sell clubs!! I feel there is nothing better than hitting outdoors on Trackman where you can actually see your ball flight. But like I said this is only my opinion and others may trust sims more than I do.

Cheers!!

I would love to see how the out door session goes compared to the sim. I am also very suspicious of simulators, but that may be because I haven't been on a nice one yet. I should try to take my R11 on a simulator cause I know that I am consistently hitting this driver long and straight.

Back