TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

So on the R11, if I wanted more loft I would close the face. But then if I wanted to make sure I wasn't hitting a closed face, I'd set the ASP to play it as nuetral or open? Or the other way around if I decided to want less loft, I could open the face with the FCT then set it to close/nuetral with ASP?

I would love that. I don't mess with the Dymo settings that much because I have a hard enough time hitting a straight ball without thinking if I need to grip the club different.

If you want more loft on your R9, just close the face on that bad boy. I see the benefit of the ASP on the R11, as I think it's more of a mental ease for the user. I have a tough time consciously changing my grip and being comfortable with me swing. Does that make sense?

I have a question regarding the ASP vs the R9 series.

What about it is different that just adjusting grip? For example, could I take the R9 and close the face with the FCT, thus increasing the loft, and then just grip the club so the face is neutral?

Dont change your grip, just close the face a degree and swing away. I closed my R9 to add some loft and man it worked.

So on the R11, if I wanted more loft I would close the face. But then if I wanted to make sure I wasn't hitting a closed face, I'd set the ASP to play it as nuetral or open? Or the other way around if I decided to want less loft, I could open the face with the FCT then set it to close/nuetral with ASP?

I would love that. I don't mess with the Dymo settings that much because I have a hard enough time hitting a straight ball without thinking if I need to grip the club different.

That's exactly how it works Yoccos. I can almost figure that I would open the face on one for me, but then use the ASP to set the club face back to a neutral look at address.

All this talk of ASP and closing and opening the face just confuses me. I need a hands on demonstration! Good thing I'll get one in May at the THP Demo Day!

What kind of swing speed is needed for a 9* loft?

Tapatalk makes meetings so much fun.

There are more factors than just SS than determine if 9* loft will work. The shaft, your launch angle, etc.....

Its quite the mind tease. Van's Pro Shop will be getting a visit from this guy <-------, that arrow is pointing to me haha. When I see people hitting adjustable drivers hard anyone messes with the settings. Do you all notice that as well? Maybe it's just what I see? I would think that would be a great option for those that are demo'ing the R11 is to also demo the adjustability.

All this talk of ASP and closing and opening the face just confuses me. I need a hands on demonstration! Good thing I'll get one in May at the THP Demo Day!

agreed. although I almost wonder if this is 'too much technology' for the average golfer? If you had the benefit of working with a fitter who could dial you in with all of the technological aspects of the club then it'd be awesome. But the golfer who doesn't want to get fit may spend hours jsut tinkering with all the setting, etc instead of potentially correcting a swing flaw or something. I haven't hit one of these yet and would like to at the Outing so I'm dying to see if this is a good stick.

Think of ASP as an eye pleaser Jake. Let's say that you end up closing the club face on your R11, but when you look down at the club at address, you can tell that it's closed, then you start thinking about how you may hook it or over draw it. With ASP, you can keep the face on a closed setting, but at address you can make the club look perfect for your eye, thus getting rid of those negative thoughts before you swing away.

There are more factors than just SS than determine if 9* loft will work. The shaft, your launch angle, etc.....

I know it is more than just ss, but what is your bases i to start with? especially when you can only demo one shaft type at a store?

I know it is more than just ss, but what is your bases i to start with? especially when you can only demo one shaft type at a store?

WEll I have very good success with 9* drivers and my SW is only 100-103

Think of ASP as an eye pleaser Jake. Let's say that you end up closing the club face on your R11, but when you look down at the club at address, you can tell that it's closed, then you start thinking about how you may hook it or over draw it. With ASP, you can keep the face on a closed setting, but at address you can make the club look perfect for your eye, thus getting rid of those negative thoughts before you swing away.
Thanks for clarifying there big guy, I sort of get it but I'd need manuals and visual aid to set one up myself that's for sure.

The technology behind the ASP is actually pretty simple. First take into account where it is located on the sole of the club. It is closer to the heel than the toe. As you adjust the ASP to open, closed or neutral it will either protrude further out of the head or recess into the head. Setting it to Open recesses the sole plate into the head causing the head to roll open when placed on the ground. When set to Closed it will protrude from the sole of the club pushing head further up causing the face to close when placed on the ground.

The technology behind the ASP is actually pretty simple. First take into account where it is located on the sole of the club. It is closer to the heel than the toe. As you adjust the ASP to open, closed or neutral it will either protrude further out of the head or recess into the head. Setting it to Open recesses the sole plate into the head causing the head to roll open when placed on the ground. When set to Closed it will protrude from the sole of the club pushing head further up causing the face to close when placed on the ground.
You make it sound much more simple than I was making it out to be!

You make it sound much more simple than I was making it out to be!

It really is a simple concept. Much easier than I anticipated when I first heard about the ASP from Taylormade.

It really is a simple concept. Much easier than I anticipated when I first heard about the ASP from Taylormade.

Yeah, I remember when we first kind of found out what it was/how it worked it was almost so simple that it made me question it.

Thanks JRamz!!!! That makes a lot of sense actually.

I found the 2.0 fairway wood to light and could not control the club. The R11 had nice balance and weight, I did not need to adjust the 7W. In the stock position I was hitting a high draw off the deck over 200 yds on the fly. I am anxiously awaiting 3/11/11 when my club will ship from TM.
Has anyone compared the performance of the r11 fairway to the superfast 2.0 fairway? I'd be interested to know what their differences are (aside from the adjustability).

One other question - to what degree can you adjust the loft and lie angle on the r11 fairway?

Cheers :D

Thanks mate.

Well guys and gals i came home to 2brand new R11's for a total of 3 in my living room lol, i had a warranty replacement since something in my R11 head broke and the place i bought it from talked to TM and they told them it was backordered so the store sent me one from their stock instead so i didnt have to wait for TM to catch up, that is how it should of went lol, instead the store and TM sent me one, must of had a miss communication between TM and the Store. Any how i got my new one and its all good now. Sending the broke one and the extra new one back tomorrow. I prob could of kept the extra new one and nobody would of ever known but i didnt want bad karma coming my way for the golf season lol.

prob could of kept the extra new one and nobody would of ever known but i didnt want bad karma coming my way for the golf season lol.

This just made me smile. Good karma for you!

This just made me smile. Good karma for you!

Hey call me nuts but i sure dont want to piss off the golf gods right before the season starts lol. Maybe they will award me with some birdies my first round.

John Daly was right, the R11 is super long. I do not own it yet but i do know that i hit it in the simulators 20 yards farther then my R7

Looks like Rush Limbaugh picked himself up one too.

Back