TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Hi Guys, new to THP and this if my first post. I was searching for reviews on the 2.0 and this thread answered my prayers. So I am looking for a little help. I've had a pretty good year at work and we have a rewards site where we can purchase all sorts of things. And you guessed it Golf clubs are one of them. So through an error on the reward center part, I have the ability to get the RAZR XF clubs for all of the points i currently have in my account. I'm about a 24 handicap but feel i am getting better so not sure if i want to continue with a Super Game Improvement Iron or get something a little different. Also know that I'd never pay $1200 for a set of clubs and this might be my only opportunity to own them. So his the dilema, I can't decide if i want to get the RAZR XF clubs graphite (3h, 4h, 5-PW) or I could also get the following with my points:

Burner 2.0 Irons Steel - 4-AW
Burner 2.0 3h
Taylormade r11 or RBZ 10.5 driver
(can get all of the above)

or

RBZ Iron TaylorMade RocketBallz Combo Set - Steel/Graphite 3h, 4h, 5-PW and some smaller items (balls, gloves, etc).

I've hit the rbz and the Razr XF's and they both feel pretty good. Haven't hit the 2.0's but will try this weekend. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Below is what i currently have:

Driver - Nike Machspeed Black 10.5
Taylormade - R11 3 wood
Adams Idea A7 3H-PW
Adams Tom Watson SW,GW
Taylormade Ghost Putter

Jermap- I tested out the 2.0's and personally didn't get along with them even a little bit. I've had the Cally XF's in the bag for a while now and won't be taking them out anytime soon. They're some of the longest, straightest irons I've hit in a long time that have quite a bit of forgiveness. Some will say they look chunky and like shovels but the results are there if one into try these out with an open mind

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Thanks for the advice Hanks! I'll keep you posted on the final decision!

Jermap... I loved the 2.0's and still have them. To me they are a great set of GI irons. The fact is you need to hit everything you are interested in as well as get fitted. Getting fitted will give you the confidence that you are playing the best head/shaft combo for your swing. If two heads are close, pick what appeals to your eye. The 2.0's are a great set, and they may be what is best for you... But maybe not. Good luck!

Went to the range this morning again and it wasn't good. I managed to see some consistency with the 8 iron after a bit, but the 4 iron was terrible for me, couldn't stay away from a slice. It could be that my swing has just left me for a while, but I've been playing pretty well this summer. I'm frustrated enough that I just bought a Ping i20 4 iron off ebay which will do two things for me, it will let me compare 4 irons with the clubs I originally wanted, and I'll have a comparison of the TM 85g shaft to the CFS shaft.

:golf3:

Make sure that you compare the 2.0 5i to the i20 4i. Loft wise that will be the better comparison (24* to 24*) 2.0s have super juiced lofts, something to get used to. I like it as I feel more confidant with a 6i instead of 5i.

Make sure that you compare the 2.0 5i to the i20 4i. Loft wise that will be the better comparison (24* to 24*) 2.0s have super juiced lofts, something to get used to. I like it as I feel more confidant with a 6i instead of 5i.

I'm aware of the lofts and will look at it that way, but be aware also that comparing a 4 to a 5 doesn't jive either unless you were thinking of buying something like 3-pw in one set and 4-gw in the other, better to compare them straight up. Its been a couple weeks now, but the demo 7 iron i20 that I hit on the range was I think as long as what I've seen with the 2.0 7 iron, but with 3 degrees more loft. I'd like to get that demo i20 7 iron again to compare, but I've pushed the limits of taking clubs out at that store....

jermap,
If at all possible hit some of them outside, in my experience they almost all feel good in a simulator off a mat. A good simulator is a useful tool but I never trust that the amount of hook or slice is accurate, nothing beats hitting them outside and seeing the flight. Whether you hit them inside or outside, make sure you pay attention to what happens when you don't hit it well, the one that gives the most consistent distance will likely play the best for you. Unless you think the XF irons will result in lower scores than the Burner 2.0 or RBZ irons, I think I'd like to have a new driver in the bag too, hell for the price difference I would think you could slip a 3 wood in there too....

Good luck. :blob:

Thanks for the advice tomahawk!

Hey Dan, that's exactly what i was thinking. I could get so much more going with the burners it seems like it's a much better value.

Thanks to this thread, I have a slightly thinner wallet and a slightly shinier bag. I have been playing X18's with R flex graphite shafts. The instructor I've been taking lessons from has smoothed me out and sped up my swing enough that I was overpowering the shafts on the X18's and getting erratic results. I went this morning and traded them in towards a new set of Burner 2.0's with stiff shafts, played the front 9 this afternoon at my local course and WOW am I in love. The first few I was coming off the toe of the club but a slight adjustment in my address of the ball corrected it by the third hole. More than anything, I'm impressed with how easy it is to get the ball up high with a very short swing for pitches to the green. It pops up, drops, and stops.

After the round I went to the practice range and hit probably 150 balls with the PW, 8i and 6i just to get a feel for them and with some slight adjustments they were working beautifully (for my skill level) with great distance control. Came home and broke out the plastic balls and worked with the 4/5i for half an hour just to get a feel for the clubs with the weight difference etc. I am absolutely thrilled, it seems like I can swing much easier/smoother and get the same distance I was with the X18's only with a lot more control (which is my #1 problem at this point in my game, control) so I am already pumped to get back out at 8am for another round. Thanks for all the in depth reviews which made my decision making a lot easier.

Thanks to this thread, I have a slightly thinner wallet and a slightly shinier bag. I have been playing X18's with R flex graphite shafts. The instructor I've been taking lessons from has smoothed me out and sped up my swing enough that I was overpowering the shafts on the X18's and getting erratic results. I went this morning and traded them in towards a new set of Burner 2.0's with stiff shafts, played the front 9 this afternoon at my local course and WOW am I in love. The first few I was coming off the toe of the club but a slight adjustment in my address of the ball corrected it by the third hole. More than anything, I'm impressed with how easy it is to get the ball up high with a very short swing for pitches to the green. It pops up, drops, and stops.

After the round I went to the practice range and hit probably 150 balls with the PW, 8i and 6i just to get a feel for them and with some slight adjustments they were working beautifully (for my skill level) with great distance control. Came home and broke out the plastic balls and worked with the 4/5i for half an hour just to get a feel for the clubs with the weight difference etc. I am absolutely thrilled, it seems like I can swing much easier/smoother and get the same distance I was with the X18's only with a lot more control (which is my #1 problem at this point in my game, control) so I am already pumped to get back out at 8am for another round. Thanks for all the in depth reviews which made my decision making a lot easier.

Glad we could help, keep up the good work and keep us updated on how they continue to progress for you.

I had the Burner 2.0 and switched to the Ping I-20's earlier this year. The only reason I switched is because I always wanted a Ping set. To me, the Ping's are a little smoother when you swing and that is because of the weighting. Distance wise they are the same. I switched clubs before I really started to get into golf this year so to be fair, my swing is better and stronger now than when I had the 2.0's. They are a great set of irons that you will still be able to work the ball with.

I still have my Burner 2s as well, and game them when I am missing to the right. I switched to the R11s after the THP Demo day because I was finding much less hook misses with the reduced offset seen in the R11s when I am swinging well.

Congrats on the purchase slodsm.
I was playing the X-20 Tours(loved them) for a few years and switched to the Burner 2.0's last summer.
These are the best irons(for me) that I have ever hit.
I've dropped my handicap from 5.8 down to the current 2.7 since the switch.

Well...I've been back to the range and finally got 18 holes in, but just haven't gotten any warm fuzzies from these irons and the feel/flight I'm getting from them.... I've had them on Craigslist for a week trying to not lose too much.... :beauty: I think with a different shaft they might be fine for me, but I'm not going to go experimenting with it, just going to get something else.... :confused2:

Well...I've been back to the range and finally got 18 holes in, but just haven't gotten any warm fuzzies from these irons and the feel/flight I'm getting from them.... I've had them on Craigslist for a week trying to not lose too much.... :beauty: I think with a different shaft they might be fine for me, but I'm not going to go experimenting with it, just going to get something else.... :confused2:

What flight are u seeing, have any pics of pact tape / wear showing?

There are a lot of times when I don't see a boring or piercing trajectory that I'd like, just kind of rounded. The ball seems to drop faster than it should, like there's not enough spin. No, I haven't checked it on a launch monitor, not worth an hour plus drive each way. Had a chance to hit a ton of comparison shots friday/saturday with the Burners, MP-60 6 iron with DG S300, MP-60 6 iron with Precision X rifle 5.5, Bridestone J33 6 iron with DG S300, Bridgestone J40 6 iron with Precision X rifle 5.5, and Ping i20 7 iron with CFS stiff. I hit two large buckets friday at the range, and saturday went to my local course and hit all iron shots, usually 4 balls at a time, two each with two different clubs going back and forth with all the combos. On the range the J40 was my favorite for feel and the Ping seemed to have good distance but the widest dispersion. The PX shafts seemed smoother at impact than the DG. On the course, the J40 didn't stand out. The i20 and Burner 2.0 7 irons shots were as long as the other 6 irons, and those two were pretty equal for distance (even though the Ping has 3 degrees more loft). On the course the accuracy of the i20 was fine, and with a smaller clubhead and better feel (to me) I like it a fair amount more than the 2.0. So, for me, the 2.0s are definately getting swapped out. Don't know if I'll spend the money for the i20, still looking at others and maybe even putting together my own set with KZG forged heads. We'll see...

Dan

After reading both the testing forums for these irons, i took the plunge.

Just waiting on a chance to take them out for a hit!

I'm glad you bumped this.. I hope you share your thoughts as you grow into these bad boys!! Did you get the black finish of the HP?

I didnt originally see this thread, im glad to see it was bumped but reading through some of the pages has made me confident in my choice to go with these clubs
now all thats left is to raise up the money and make it happen

congrats on the new irons, I really love my irons and I am happy that I'm still hitting them so well. I hope that you have a great time with yours and that you hit lots of fairways and greens!

Let us know your findings. Also did you get the black finish or the HP? I'm partial towards the HP-I love them

I didnt originally see this thread, im glad to see it was bumped but reading through some of the pages has made me confident in my choice to go with these clubs
now all thats left is to raise up the money and make it happen

Good luck and godspeed, confidence is good and having clubs that you can hit well always helps alot. I hope you can get them soon Grod!

Glad you guys are bringing this thread back up. I enjoyed testing these, and they were my favorite clubs ever. Enjoy them!

I just got back from a short round (8 holes) and all I can say is OMG!!!

I got the black finish (to me they were more appealing) and 4-PW

I've never been that consistent with length of my iron shots, so approach shots have always been a little "hit and miss".

Today however, after hitting 10 shots on the practice fairway, i had my range already!

They truely are fantastic clubs!!!

Firstly, for those who missed it, let me give you all some backgroud.

I'd been playing with a set of Maxfli clubs bought at christmas last year, and steadily improving my game. In about March I bought myself the 2.0 Burner #3 wood. 4 months later, and based on the strength of the #3 wood, I was back again to get the 10.5* driver.

1 week ago I finally decided to update my irons, and given the glowing review on this site and my own love for the Burner range, I decided to go with the Burner 2.0 Black finish irons.

That brings us to the present day, and what a happy man they have made me!

With my old irons my two biggest weaknesses were distance and consistency. I was always hitting 2-3 clubs more than my playing partners, and even then I had a nightmare of a time trying to range in my irons (one shot would travel 140m the next 160m). It was more frustrating than words can describe and I'm sure at some point in your own golfing career you would have had the same experience.

And here enters the Burners...

All of a sudden, all the work I'd put in trying to improve my old irons instantly was able to shine. From the very first swing (in this case it was my 6-iron) I was hitting long and accurate (all the balls were within a 6m diameter). I easily picked up 3 clubs worth in most circumstances (where before I was hitting a 5 iron, now I hit an 8).

Balls that used to hit the green and roll out off the back were now checking so hard that they usually sat within 30cm of their pitch-mark. Everything I hit sounded clean, flew off the clubface with a perfect trajectory, and found its target with ease.

But the best thing, and I can't stress this enough, is that for the first time in my life I can now look at my required range, pick the required club, and swing with confidence knowing that the ball will land precisely where I was aiming.

These clubs are so easy to swing, and easily the best golfing investment I've made to date. And as such, I would recommend them to anyone serious about improving their game!!!

Firstly, for those who missed it, let me give you all some backgroud.

I'd been playing with a set of Maxfli clubs bought at christmas last year, and steadily improving my game. In about March I bought myself the 2.0 Burner #3 wood. 4 months later, and based on the strength of the #3 wood, I was back again to get the 10.5* driver.

1 week ago I finally decided to update my irons, and given the glowing review on this site and my own love for the Burner range, I decided to go with the Burner 2.0 Black finish irons.

That brings us to the present day, and what a happy man they have made me!

With my old irons my two biggest weaknesses were distance and consistency. I was always hitting 2-3 clubs more than my playing partners, and even then I had a nightmare of a time trying to range in my irons (one shot would travel 140m the next 160m). It was more frustrating than words can describe and I'm sure at some point in your own golfing career you would have had the same experience.

And here enters the Burners...

All of a sudden, all the work I'd put in trying to improve my old irons instantly was able to shine. From the very first swing (in this case it was my 6-iron) I was hitting long and accurate (all the balls were within a 6m diameter). I easily picked up 3 clubs worth in most circumstances (where before I was hitting a 5 iron, now I hit an 8).

Balls that used to hit the green and roll out off the back were now checking so hard that they usually sat within 30cm of their pitch-mark. Everything I hit sounded clean, flew off the clubface with a perfect trajectory, and found its target with ease.

But the best thing, and I can't stress this enough, is that for the first time in my life I can now look at my required range, pick the required club, and swing with confidence knowing that the ball will land precisely where I was aiming.

These clubs are so easy to swing, and easily the best golfing investment I've made to date. And as such, I would recommend them to anyone serious about improving their game!!!

Glad you are having so much success with them. I agree about them being 'game changers' for my game too. Keep up the good work and keep us updated with your progress.

Back