T.P. Mills Center Shafted "Huey" - Demo Thread

PM'd Craig to see if I can hang on to this a couple more days. I can get on the course Wednesday.

Christmas is coming up if anyone wants to buy me a Mills putter :)

Noticing the Huey is pretty precise. My Backstryke seems to not lose as much distance as the Huey when I hit it off center. Time on the course has been extremely limited, hope to get out Wednesday.

Warmed up a little bit and just did an 8 foot putt shootout, Backstryke v Huey. Both made 8 of 10. My confidence with the Huey grows every time putt. Putting a little forward press in my stroke really helps getting consistent distance.

Dang it all. Planned to go out today, snow and all, to give the Huey one last go around. 530 AM phone rings and I get called in. I feel bad I never really got to do much with the Huey in play. He'll move on to WA tomorrow.

Pics are not there my man.

Hmmm sorry. How do you post pics not from a url?

Good question.

I liked the Huey grip as well. Encouraged me to pay real close attention to my grip pressure.

Huey has moved on.....:disapointed:

Let's try this again...

Here are my first notes of the physical characteristics:

SC is 34"
H is 35"

Edge: 34" is best for me and I'm sure the H is available in the same so I'll call this equal.

Head covers: Both are very well made and very appealing to my eye. Both appear to be the same size and have nice soft material inside. The SC plays on the Art of Putting theme with paint palate and brush. The H has the flag shaped US with the Anvil series integration. The H Velcro is slightly wider.

Edge: Both are great, but I'll give a slight edge to the SC artwork.

SC shaft is chrome colored.
H is black.
Both are nice. The black shaft is very appealing especially with the black grip. Makes it appear longer than it is due to no color break. The H has no stickers on it. The SC has the sticker with the Art of Putting design and the 34" length.
H is straight center shafted with a very slight curve as it inserts the head. SC is more of a heal insertion with a soft sweep back into the offset. The SC has slightly more offset but both are small.

Edge: I like the SC sticker and there is nothing wrong with chrome but the black shaft is different and appealing. This one goes to the H.

H head is approx 7/16 shorter than the SC but approx 5/8" wider. This is due to the blade versus mallet design.
H is silver color, SC is "honey dipped" color.
Both have nice lettering and paint fill.
SC has a nice design from the Hollywood line on the bottom with adjustable weights.
Both have nice milling with no inserts.
The H has an apparent weld look at the junction. The SC does not.

Edge: This is a tough one since they are both indicative of very fine craftsmanship. I like the SC artwork better and adjustable weights might be good for some, however I play with the standard provided weights. I am a bit disappointed my SC honey dipped finish is fading even though I take impeccable care of it. Since the H is new I will omit that from my impression. I don't like the weld on the H. Edge goes to the SC.

H grip is black with the + symbol all over it. It is round but gets more oval at the top. It is somewhat spongy and very soft with moderate tackiness.
SC grip is all black with the dancing logo on the top. It has a square top and sides. It is not soft nor tacky, possibly due to age.

Edge: Definitely like the H grip best.

Some comparison pics of Huey vs. Hollywood:

IMG_1821-1.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

Looking forward to rolling a few. Will check back with more impressions then.

The Huey arrived this afternoon. I have to go out tonight soI will work on some first thoughts and impressions tomorrow. But, first-first thoughts: Oh my, very nice! J

The Huey arrived this afternoon. I have to go out tonight soI will work on some first thoughts and impressions tomorrow. But, first-first thoughts: Oh my, very nice! J

Glad it arrived safely. I keep wanting to call it a her, but that doesn't work.

I am hoping to get out on Saturday.

but did get to the local putting green yesterday - took some shots and putted for awhile.

This is a side by side of my current putter a Newport 2
IMG_0328.jpg

Close ups Mostly to show how pretty the face is milled here.
IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

Face at address
IMG_0334.jpg

Looking down at address
IMG_0329.jpg

I spent a about 30 minutes at lunch with the Huey on the green and took to it pretty well not a huge learning curve with the center shaft. It seems to force you to get over the top of the ball to line up like you are suppose to. I am going to have to check the specs but it doesn't really seem that much heavier then my current putter. It's weight does seem to be a farther down on the head so you feel it on the back swing and makes a straight take back a little easier. Not a huge putter so you still get a lot of feel from the head at impact and you know right away when you are not on line with the shot.

The ball seem to roll the line I was choosing it was more a matter of distance control. It might have to do with what I wrote earlier about feeling heavier on the back swing and I worried about hitting it too hard. I will work on that a bit more. First impressions: I like it. See how it does on the course.

So has anyone gotten out? Idrops, JBrown? Whats the word?

Was able to roll a few only briefly as we have been having some rain here and it gets dark at 5:30 so putting time is limited.

First impression is the visual alignment is great. I like the extended sight line better than my Hollywood and the face balance promotes a nice SBST path. I'm not sure what putting stroke I have. I think its a bit of an arc back with straight through finish. Anyone know how to tell for sure?

The look of this putter at address is fantastic. The grip and shaft being black remove all peripheral awareness as you sight down and only the silver head against the green grass is noted. Makes you really focus on that spot only.

I am having a bit of trouble with distance. I seem to need a longer swing path to get the same distance as the Hollywood. The Huey feels less head heavy although the total weight feels similar.

Can't say enough about the grip. Much nicer than the SC. It's the perfect combination of diameter, tack, and softness.

Wow! I don't think I am going to be able to do this putter justice after today's round. Put up an 85 from the Blacks from a 20 handi-capper. Was it because of the putter? Maybe - I only had one 3 putt all day and my god does that help.

I have spent maybe 45 minutes with this thing on the practice green and just with that small learning curve was able to put the ball where I wanted it on the green most of the time. Not a bad adjustment period in my book.

There are a ton of post on here about the shape, feel and look of the Huey to be read so now I am guessing it gets down to how it performs on the greens for average Joes like myself. In short, at least for me, this thing flat out puts the ball in the cup. I am more of hitter with a putter not really a pendulum guy. Select the the target right or left of the hole and then put the ball there. The Huey did that with out question and made my time on the greens short and to the bottom of the cup.

Now I don't want to get all gushy like a girl on her first date but this thing did more then any other club that I have that has spent less time in my bag then that sandwich I bought last week for the round that got rained out. It just felt good. Aim and shoot and walk of the green no worse then a then a two tap is exactly what I want from the flat stick. The only hole I screwed up, was that I got a little soft on an uphill put and and the second 48"er lipped out. That being my only three put of the day.

I am pretty sure testing of this club was up to a year and if I am wrong the fellow behind me will let me know. :) I am not sure if I am going to get out Christmas weekend but will get to the practice green at least once this week to work on the stroke. I will post more here. Thanks TP Mills.

I would be more then happy to take this shabby putter off your hands when it is done making its rounds.

Sounds like the Huey is working for ya jlbrown.

Sounds like the Huey is working for ya jlbrown.

It is very much. I have a job today that takes me next to acourse and plan on using their putting green at lunch. The down side to testingthis time of year; are the short days and holidays kind of push golf to theback burner. (Should I dare say that?) I am hoping to get one Christmas roundin with the Huey. Hopefully not getting the wife too upset.

I have been rolling it every night on the shag but just notthe same at all.

Maybe after the testing is done we can throw our names in ahat to buy one off these demo models. Isee a Black oxide version of this on the website but not the model that hasbeen in testing. Any Plans?

Went to the practice green and rolled 4 balls at 4 feet with the Huey then four with the SC. Then did the same at 8 feet and 15 feet. I repeated this for four cycles. I am continuing to miss most putts on the low side of the hole but the percentage sank is about the same for each putter. Both putters missed left equally, about 2 to 12 inches left. Obviously this is due to the puttee, not the putter.

I found I have an arc stroke but with the Huey I try to go straight through more due to the face balancing. Both feel comfortable. The only other problem I note is, again, I need a slightly longer stroke for the Huey to get the distance needed.

The Huey grip is one of the most positive impressions for me.

In summary, I think this is a great putter for someone with a SBST stroke and would probably work for slight arc putters as well.

Miss the control I had with the Huey. Was practicing with my Backstryke just now and I'm missing that feel I had with the Huey. It's not an irreplaceable feel, but the Huey was so consistent. Lots of putters have a clicky feel like the Huey. Something about the whole setup of the Huey set it apart. How are you guys liking the Huey, those who have it?

Miss the control I had with the Huey. Was practicing with my Backstryke just now and I'm missing that feel I had with the Huey. It's not an irreplaceable feel, but the Huey was so consistent. Lots of putters have a clicky feel like the Huey. Something about the whole setup of the Huey set it apart. How are you guys liking the Huey, those who have it?

Well I am loving the Huey but, Santa failed to bless me myvery own this year so a bit sad.

The other sad news is that I am tied up for the next coupleof weeks which loosely translates into "no golf for me" So I should move this gem on to the nextlucky tester. Who’s next in the Northern list. Lets get this baby headed yourway. (Please take care of it)

Thanks TP Mills for the opportunity to give this some longterm rolling. I could and would recommend this putter to anyone.

Back