swing tempo problems

oiler3535

Reaction score
Handicap
Anybody have any ideas on how to slow down my tempo? I'm fine off the deck or in the rough, but off the tee box I tend to get very fast and it leads to just terrible shots. When I can keep my tempo smooth my rounds invariably push the lower 70s, but when I get fast off the tee and start getting a 2 way miss, I'm lucky to shoot low 80s. I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas (sorry, bad Simpsons joke). Actually, I've tried slowing down my takeaway, stopping at the top of my backswing, and some other slightly different swing thoughts. It seems to me that when I'm playing well I have no swing thoughts at all, but when I get fast nothing I can do helps. Anybody have a problem with a fast tempo? If so, how did you overcome? Anybody else have any ideas?

P.S. I've searched threads and not come up with anything similar, so mod if you know of one please send me to the right spot.

The best tempo remedy I know is to get in a practice area bunker and hit 20 yard sand shots. Hit enough of them to settle into the tempo that shot requires, and then try to carry that feel/tempo to the tee.

I do this on the range when my tempo gets too quick. Try stopping at the top of your swing. Holding your top position for 3 seconds. It will slow everything down.

The best tempo remedy I know is to get in a practice area bunker and hit 20 yard sand shots. Hit enough of them to settle into the tempo that shot requires, and then try to carry that feel/tempo to the tee.

Like the idea, but my course doesn't have a practice bunker, and at this time of the year the course is too busy to just sit on a hole with a bunker to practice. Will have to keep it in mind though! Thanks.

I do this on the range when my tempo gets too quick. Try stopping at the top of your swing. Holding your top position for 3 seconds. It will slow everything down.

I like the idea, and have tried it. Unfortunately it doesn't help me, I think because I sit at the top and feel like I'm behind and have to catch up. I'm definitely going to try it again, maybe I'm not holding it long enough. Thanks.

post fireworks bump

I have the same problem I can get very quick and an agressive transition. I tried to stop at the top of my swing I lost all flow in my swing and didn't work at all. What I have found works is get a ladies driver they are light weight and really whippy I hit it at the range and it really helps keep my driver in control to hit it well takes a nice rythem and keeps the flow in the swing. Might sound strange but it works for me.

When my tempo is too quick with driver, at the range I'll hit driver but only try to hit it 200 yards. This always slows me down.

I'm never able to hit it just 200 yards as the slower tempo lends itself to a smooth release with some nice distance.

I have read that listening to music with a slower steady rhythm can help. There are also a list of things to try here. Tour Tempo golf songs are also available from iTunes.

I have found that quick or fast tempo can be slowed by extremely loose grip pressure. This will ease the tension on your forearms and shoulders thereby freeing up your swing. Your tempo will slow a bit but the main point is a free swing.
There is nothing wrong with quick tempo provided you take away tension. If I had to guess your tempo is quick almost all of the time bit when you play well it's devoid tension.

^^^What he said.^^^

Tempo has been a long issue with me and just now I'm feeling much better about it. I purposely take a brief pause at the top of my swing which lets my lower body start my swing vs. my hands or arms. Better tempo means I'm hitting the ball at the fast point of my swing instead of when my swing would begin to slow because the fastest part of my swing would be at the beginning.

My instructor had me use a metronome. It definitely helped me establish a better tempo and I still get it out sometimes when practicing on my putting stroke. A good tempo will help you with every aspect of the game.

Truth is, all I did was slow down my back swing which usually puts me at the 3:1 desired tempo (3 back 1 down). Here's a video by Kenny Perry that explains the same thing.

Thanks guys, I am definitely going to try hitting my driver only 200 and the very loose grip pressure (gorilla grip pressure has always been an issue with me). It's not just my driver though, it's any club off the tee.

You might think I'm crazy, but try to find a song that you like that matches the tempo to your swing. Then just try to keep that song stuck in your head. It's amazing how outside influences, such as music, etc., can effect your mind/body.

Tour Tempo beats, listen to them through headphones on the range. Works wonders for me.

When my tempo is too quick with driver, at the range I'll hit driver but only try to hit it 200 yards. This always slows me down.

I'm never able to hit it just 200 yards as the slower tempo lends itself to a smooth release with some nice distance.

My trick for tempo is similar, but I try to hit my 5 iron 100 yards. I always smoothly hit it over the 100 yard flag/marker of course, but thats the feeling I want to have.

Sent via Tapatalk on Android

When I get quick with my swing, I always fall back into my rythmn by counting in my head...

One...and....two.

One...the club is going back
And...very slight pause at the top. (about as much time as it takes you to say..and)
Two...the club coming forward to and through impact.

When I get quick with my swing, I always fall back into my rythmn by counting in my head...

One...and....two.

One...the club is going back
And...very slight pause at the top. (about as much time as it takes you to say..and)
Two...the club coming forward to and through impact.

I do this putting, I never thought of trying it on a full swing. Thanks! Waiting to play just terribly lol; I last played a week ago, now have family visiting, gonna spend all day white water rafting, then play in a tourney Thursday with these new thoughts in my head.

Is it strange that when I try slowing my swing (truying to get that inbetween iron distance) I get a terrible fade/slice , I always try and keep my speed up

Just tappin away

Is it strange that when I try slowing my swing (truying to get that inbetween iron distance) I get a terrible fade/slice , I always try and keep my speed up

Just tappin away

Is it possible that when you are trying to slow your swing you are decelerating into the ball and holding off on releasing the club face?

Also if you want to adjust yardage for an inbetween iron distance, try choking up on the grip 1 or 2 inches, this can help adjust the distance of your shot.

Slower tempo doesn't mean not hitting the ball solid or hard, it means building up to that speed gradually through the swing. If you start out too fast going back it can throw your balance, timing and swing plane from where you want them to be. Think about 'placing' the club back into the correct top of the backswing position and not slinging it up there. Like putting a plate down on a table - you reach and place it, you don't slam it down. Turn back and place your club in the correct position at the top don't slam it up there.

That's exactly why I practice with my iPhone playing music, it really helps get the tempo I need, that way my back swing isn't so slow

I just bought tour tempo
Will try it on the range/course this weekend

Just tappin away

Back