Stock Market & Retirement Planning

2023 was a very good year for the S&P500 returns. Here’s some insight on the year and the difficulty in anyone predicting market returns consistently. My wife and I did a little worse than the S&P average but that was because the poor performance of bond funds in our nest egg.

View attachment 9235693
Your bonds had to have finished strong last couple months, no?

2023 did end up being a great year with the strong Q4. No exposure to bond funds as I have been utilizing 5% money market funds for the fixed income allocations in my portfolio. Big help towards outperforming in 2023.

1704986132526.png

11 Bitcoin ETFs begin trading on exchanges today after finally being approved by the SEC late yesterday. Just sayin

Your bonds had to have finished strong last couple months, no?
We have a muni bond fund that was down 1% for the year and overall our bond funds were up a few percent for the year. We’ve been heavily invested in the FAANG stocks for 20+ years so overall we’ve been very fortunate/lucky with our average returns.

BTC up towards $49k on the news and over 160% year over year. Crazy run.

I love the market - at 77 yr old my retirement account is higher today than it has been even after taking RMD every year for 7 years... Yippee friggen Skippyee.
I think I need to go to a Barrett Jackson Auction. (y) :love: :eek:

FAANG stocks vs. the market the last decade. 25.7% return for the period which means your investment would double in value every 34 months.

5BAC74C2-B38A-4BAC-B22D-6AAE9020276C.jpeg

We have a muni bond fund that was down 1% for the year and overall our bond funds were up a few percent for the year. We’ve been heavily invested in the FAANG stocks for 20+ years so overall we’ve been very fortunate/lucky with our average returns.
That's really all you've needed. Carried the market for the majority of the year.

FAANG stocks vs. the market the last decade. 25.7% return for the period which means your investment would double in value every 34 months.

View attachment 9235702
FAANG is old news haha. Its the Magnificent 7 now. Replace netflix with Nvidia in those returns and recalculate.

FAANG is old news haha. Its the Magnificent 7 now. Replace netflix with Nvidia in those returns and recalculate.
I’d add Microsoft as well to your Nvidia pick.

Another look back at a 20 year time frame for the top performing S&P500 stocks. Not many, including me, would have guessed that Monster Beverage was the top performer.
View attachment 9235705
Its amazing how well the energy drink sector has done. I believe Celsius has been one of the highest performing stocks (NASDAQ) over the decade.

Its amazing how well the energy drink sector has done. I believe Celsius has been one of the highest performing stocks (NASDAQ) over the decade.
It’s everywhere now

11 Bitcoin ETFs begin trading on exchanges today after finally being approved by the SEC late yesterday. Just sayin
Covering volume and spreads on CNBC as we speak.

Interesting how these will work. Options on coins will drive insane volatility.
Agreed. Watching these from the sidelines for sure.

I'd hesitate to call it "coins". That's not exactly accurate

I'd hesitate to call it "coins". That's not exactly accurate
I don't know if the etfs will actually purchase and hold the underlaying or will mirror the movements.

I don't know if the etfs will actually purchase and hold the underlaying or will mirror the movements.
Thats exactly what they will be doing. They're required to do that

The funds are actually backed by the underlying token, so yes, near term volatility will be interesting to watch. In the long run, theoretically, it should actually reduce the volatility but who knows how that will all play out.

The funds are actually backed by the underlying token, so yes, near term volatility will be interesting to watch. In the long run, theoretically, it should actually reduce the volatility but who knows how that will all play out.
True. Plus we should actually be able to see the wallets that make these purchases.

True. Plus we should actually be able to see the wallets that make these purchases.
"see" is another loose term....Yes the blockchain transactions are public information, but unless you know what each wallet's blockchain address is you will not be able to differentiate any movements

Back