Stand Up Desks & Piriformis Syndrome

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
I've had a bunch of back problems since I was just out of high school. Much of it stems from a couple of car accidents (not my fault). But lately with all the sitting I do with my commute and at work I've had a lot more pain. Almond with that, my girlfriend Becky was just finally diagnosed (after two years of MRI's, PT, chiropractors, injections, etc...) with Piriformis syndrome....which is an absolute painful mess, with no real easy cure...if any at all.

Anyway, some of the stuff we've been researching says these standing desks really do wonders to help with back problems and I wondered if anyone out there has any experience with them or even with Piriformis Syndrome.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I know nothing about Piriformis Syndrome. I've had no experience with stand up desks either. However, I do know that those of us who sit at a desk all day typically are hunched over and that is one possible cause of back pain. If you're standing, you're less likely to hunch over.

They also make chairs that encourage you to sit up straight.

Probably not helpful, but those are my thoughts.

~Rock

Not with the Piriformis Syndrome, but converted over to a standing desk about a year ago ... love it and would not trade it for anything. I am in I/T and sit for most of the day.

Will look at the brand I bought when I get back to my desk ... stuck in an all day business review ... but it allows me to sit and stand ... love it and highly recommend it!

Yeah I sit all day... But my gf, being an auditor, sits for 14+ hours, especially during busy season. It's brutal!

Our IT guy has a standup. He swears by it. I'd love to try it, but don't think they'd let me have one.

Our IT guy has a standup. He swears by it. I'd love to try it, but don't think they'd let me have one.

Doctor note?

I have no experience with Piriformis Syndrome, but our office recently got adjustable desks for everyone. When I want to sit, I can sit, but I can stand when I want and raise the desk. We use varidesk at varidesk.com. I have the pro, but would have loved to get the Pro Plus that I see on their site now. I don't think that was available when I got mine. I have only had it for 3 months or so, but it is nice. Very sturdy and easy to raise and lower. I would certainly recommend a wireless keyboard and mouse if you go with it.

Now if I could only figure out how to get an anti-fatigue mat to stand on that can also handle a rolling chair. Haven't figured out that one yet.

I'm seriously considering adding a stand up desk lift to my current desk so I can adjust and stand as much as possible through the day. My question is this, for those that have used them in the past, the adjustable, not the permanent, how often do you find yourself standing?

I'm seriously considering adding a stand up desk lift to my current desk so I can adjust and stand as much as possible through the day. My question is this, for those that have used them in the past, the adjustable, not the permanent, how often do you find yourself standing?
I bought my wife a VariDesk and she says she stands about 50% of the time. Make sure to buy a pad to stand on.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've had either a standing desk or a height adjustable one for about 5 years. After that there's absolutely no way I'd go back to sitting all day every day.

A few years ago I sprung for a Locus seat from Focal Furniture. It's pricey, but it's basically like a human kickstand. It's kind of sitting while standing, but isn't stable enough to sit with horrible posture for a long stretch.

If you do give standing a shot my best advice is to take plenty of sitting breaks, especially during the first two weeks. After standing all day you'll be a heck of a lot more tired than you might think. It certainly makes the couch more appealing in the evening too :D

I bought my wife a VariDesk and she says she stands about 50% of the time. Make sure to buy a pad to stand on.

So do you move the pad on and off, I have a chair pad now for the office chair when I'm sitting.

I have had a sit/stand desk for about 4 months now. I end up with a pretty good mix. Tends to come in chunks of sitting or standing. Some days I'll stand all day and others I'll end up sitting more. I like standing more but often get distracted and forget to stand up.

So do you move the pad on and off, I have a chair pad now for the office chair when I'm sitting.
She actually had a big enough area where the stand up desk had it's own area and then she had a sit down area as well so she'd leave the pad where it was. You can't roll a chair on it.

They also make chairs that encourage you to sit up straight.

~Rock
That's what I recall being told growing up.

Studies actually show that sitting straight up is quite back for the bad. What don't we have studies for now a days? But we have an office ergonomic consultant, and he reiterated this to me the other week. If you're a person that sits at a desk for long periods you're supposed to lean back with the chair and allow the back support to alleviate the pressure off your spine.

I have really been thinking about picking up one of the varidesk or similar options that lets you move it up and down from seated to standing options as I know my hips have gotten way tighter due to the amount of time I spend sitting. I have also heard that standing vs sitting burns a quite a few more calories and I could use help with that.

Oh and because I could then refer to my desk as a transformer... I think I would have to get an Autobot or Decepticon sticker to put on it...

That's what I recall being told growing up.

Studies actually show that sitting straight up is quite back for the bad. What don't we have studies for now a days? But we have an office ergonomic consultant, and he reiterated this to me the other week. If you're a person that sits at a desk for long periods you're supposed to lean back with the chair and allow the back support to alleviate the pressure off your spine.
Probably why i spent as much as I did on an ergohuman chair.

~Rock

I worked with a woman with chronic back pain and she swore by a balance ball. Our receptionist uses the chair version:

https://www.gaiam.com/product/balance-ball-chair/95-1004_2.html

And it's only like $80.

The constant small movements are supposed to keep the muscles loose.

I don't have the time to do this, but I would love to build this someday:

[video=youtube;X4-yOB3qFKI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4-yOB3qFKI[/video]

I worked with a woman with chronic back pain and she swore by a balance ball. Our receptionist uses the chair version:

https://www.gaiam.com/product/balance-ball-chair/95-1004_2.html

And it's only like $80.

The constant small movements are supposed to keep the muscles loose.

I don't have the time to do this, but I would love to build this someday:

[video=youtube;X4-yOB3qFKI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4-yOB3qFKI[/video]
Those balance balls are great at building core strength for sure! This girl I used to work with had one and had an incredible core. Definitely make you sit in the proper position.

I wish I could I stand - sitting is such a killer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have adjustable desks in our office, and have used them for the past 3 years. I can't imagine having anything different now. I've had periodic back issues over the years, and having the ability to stand at work is a great help when it's hurting.

I use a GeekDesk and am happy with it https://www.smarthomedesk.com/best-alternatives-varidesk/

I've been standing at work for 2 years now due to back issues. First year I ghetto'ed some stuff together and was in the middle of an office with 10 people in it. No one really made fun of me, but I'm the boss so that could have had something to do with it.

Last year I got the GD and moved into an office.

It is massive and I'm pretty happy with it. I'd rather have a crank model - the noise of the self-raising geekdesk is pretty opulent. The good crank models that I found at the time were actually more than the geekdesk so I just opted for that.

I stand 90% of the time. Having the sit option is nice for meetings and if my legs are spanked from working out or something.

For sitting I have found that leaning way back (like 45-60 degrees) with my keyboard on my lap works best. I like my monitor high when I do this.

Right now, though, I use the shittiest chair in the office as I hardly ever sit. It kinda sucks but is fine for 30 minutes here and there.

A treadmill would be sweet. I have found that if I don't move around my knees will bug me, and my hips will get tight. But all in all I'm super happy with the setup.

I've had a standing desk for 4-5 years.

It's definitely not a miracle cure-all, but for me I find I have a lot more energy in the afternoon than I do when sitting all the time.

I have had a leaning seat from Focal (https://www.focalupright.com/products/) for a few years, and it's been a really great hybrid for resting a bit while standing all day.

Over time I've found that for me the key is to make sure I take regular breaks to move a bit, and to not stay in the same position for too long.

I have really been thinking about picking up one of the varidesk or similar options that lets you move it up and down from seated to standing options as I know my hips have gotten way tighter due to the amount of time I spend sitting. I have also heard that standing vs sitting burns a quite a few more calories and I could use help with that.

Oh and because I could then refer to my desk as a transformer... I think I would have to get an Autobot or Decepticon sticker to put on it...

I grabbed a VariDesk (ProPlus 48). Overall, I like it, though the first couple of weeks were horrid on the knees, even with a standing mat. Sit/stand chairs suck too.

Back