Srixon Q-Star Golf Balls

I've been playing these for a couple of rounds now and shooting my best scores of the season so far. They've replaced the 2011 e5s in my bag. I love the greenside performance and mid-iron spin of the e5 but i'm finding that the QStar is averaging about 10 yards more of the tee with noticeable less sidespin on below par shots. I hit 6 of 7 fairways averaging over 245 the other evening. They won't keep an horrific push-slice in play but I think that they will tighten up a fade maybe 5 yards or so and that makes a difference.

Around the greens they perform comparably to the e5 for me but I rely more on shotmaking than pure spin with my wedge game anyway.

Bought a dozen of these tonight and took them to the range for some testing around the chipping area. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with full shots, but with chipping I would say they are comparable to the e5 for sure. They're not a Zstar or a ProV1 for spin, but of course that's the point and that difference is what makes them straighter off the tee.

I've been playing these for a couple of rounds now and shooting my best scores of the season so far. They've replaced the 2011 e5s in my bag. I love the greenside performance and mid-iron spin of the e5 but i'm finding that the QStar is averaging about 10 yards more of the tee with noticeable less sidespin on below par shots. I hit 6 of 7 fairways averaging over 245 the other evening. They won't keep an horrific push-slice in play but I think that they will tighten up a fade maybe 5 yards or so and that makes a difference.

Around the greens they perform comparably to the e5 for me but I rely more on shotmaking than pure spin with my wedge game anyway.
yes, some input on some guys gaming the e5. thanks. :act-up:

I went out to the range tonight and tested the Q-Star on the putting green and chipping green. First comparison was the Q-Star vs. the Z-Star on the putting surface. I absolutely could tell no difference. Same feel, same click, same everything as far as I'm concerned. I do like the slightly lighter yellow green color of the Z-Star, but both balls were comparable off the putter in my experience.

Went to the chipping green and was chipping from 15 feet off the putting surface, to a down hill pin 75 feet away. I've been playing the Z-Star so that's the ball I'm used to. I don't have a consistent swing, but I chipped enough to get a good sample. I tried to hit the shots with both balls the same. I'm used to the Z-Star and I had a number of shots roll to within 4 feet of the pin, and even sank one. The Q-Star was consistently about 8-10 feet beyond the pin. This should really be no surprise, as that's how these balls are designed. Balls that are designed for acceleration aren't necessarily the best at the brakes. I could certainly get used to the Q-Star, but I must say that I preferred the Z-Star on my approach shots.

On a whim, I pulled some Bridgestone B-330RX balls out and compared them with he Q-Stars using my 60 degree wedge from about sixty feet to the pin. I played both from below the green shooting uphill as well as above the green shooting downhill. The balls were extremely similar in feel and results.

I'll play the Q-Star tomorrow in my scramble tournament and see how it does with full shots. Right now and based solely from 70 feet and in to the putting surface, even at the much cheaper price, I would still choose the Z-Star over the Q-Star. I was hoping for the Q-Star to be 90% of a Z-Star, but it's probably closer to 80% of its big brother in checking up. My results tomorrow from tee and fairway might pull the Q-Star into the lead. We'll see.

I went out to the range tonight and tested the Q-Star on the putting green and chipping green. First comparison was the Q-Star vs. the Z-Star on the putting surface. I absolutely could tell no difference. Same feel, same click, same everything as far as I'm concerned. I do like the slightly lighter yellow green color of the Z-Star, but both balls were comparable off the putter in my experience.

Went to the chipping green and was chipping from 15 feet off the putting surface, to a down hill pin 75 feet away. I've been playing the Z-Star so that's the ball I'm used to. I don't have a consistent swing, but I chipped enough to get a good sample. I tried to hit the shots with both balls the same. I'm used to the Z-Star and I had a number of shots roll to within 4 feet of the pin, and even sank one. The Q-Star was consistently about 8-10 feet beyond the pin. This should really be no surprise, as that's how these balls are designed. Balls that are designed for acceleration aren't necessarily the best at the brakes. I could certainly get used to the Q-Star, but I must say that I preferred the Z-Star on my approach shots.

On a whim, I pulled some Bridgestone B-330RX balls out and compared them with he Q-Stars using my 60 degree wedge from about sixty feet to the pin. I played both from below the green shooting uphill as well as above the green shooting downhill. The balls were extremely similar in feel and results.

I'll play the Q-Star tomorrow in my scramble tournament and see how it does with full shots. Right now and based solely from 70 feet and in to the putting surface, even at the much cheaper price, I would still choose the Z-Star over the Q-Star. I was hoping for the Q-Star to be 90% of a Z-Star, but it's probably closer to 80% of its big brother in checking up. My results tomorrow from tee and fairway might pull the Q-Star into the lead. We'll see.

i think i came in with too high of expectations for the Q. its still a 2 piece non urethane ball. i did like it very much and at its price point off the shelf, its tough to beat. that said, i prefer the color of the Z star much more (this has to be something in my head--they are close enough that i cant believe i prefer the z star color so much more) and buying recycled z stars can be had for the same price as an off the shelf Q.
all around good ball. that said the Tri-Speed tour either has the same type cover as the Z or is made in the same factory because they have identical paint jobs, even with the metallic looking paint.

This is my new ball along with the Penta. I love everything about it, and its going into play again today.

CB killed this thing at our round at Grand Cypress.

Just back from the first round with the Q star (yellow) and color me impressed. Now, I made some swing changes the other day and had fantastic results at the range, so I don't think the Q star gets all the credit for my improved ball flight but nonetheless, it certainly helped. Overall I shot an 87 with way too many putts, but here are my impressions. For those wondering, my driver swing speed was recently pegged at 103-105.

Trajectory - these balls launch nicely for me (I struggle with a low ball flight with driver - 6 iron)

Distance - Not the longest ball I've ever played, but wasn't holding me back either. Off the irons distance was consistent with my history. Off the driver it was pretty strong (hard to tell if it was me or the ball, but I have hit other balls further on a few of the holes).

Dispersion - Are you kidding me?! What dispersion?! Between my swing adjustments and this ball, I've never seen so many shots go exactly where I was aiming! I had only two of my patented 40 yard slices today and in both cases I made horrible swings, pulling too hard with the left side and dragging the club face thru impact open - NOT the balls fault.

Approach shots - with the ball getting nice and high, I was getting good stopping ability with many balls within a few inches of their pitch marks. I don't normally spin the ball back so not surprising that I didn't with this ball.

Chipping - I didn't have a good day here and the greens were lightning fast, but the ball performed as I would expect; no complaints.

Putting - Tough, tough greens and pin placements and for that reason I had WAY too many putts, but the ball wasn't to blame here either. Actually, I had great success hitting this ball the exact distance I intended and was very pleased with that. Unfortunately, I didn't have the same success reading lines. :banghead:

Overall, I am absolutely gaming this ball again!

I played my 4-man best ball scramble round today, and two of our foursome did not show. So I hit two balls all day long. I was able to compare the Q-Star and Z-Star side-by-side. Their distance off the driver for me was about the same - within 5 yards. The Q-Star felt somehow more "substantial", like it would be better in the wind and go straighter if your swing might cause some unintended side spin. I hit some really nice medium and short iron shots with the Q-Star. Greens were quite soft, but I had a number of Q-Star balls that rested within 2 feet of their pitch marks on 8i-GW shots. What I determined for my play, is that the Q-Star isn't a Z-Star killer. I prefer the Z-Star for it's manner around the greens, and its length and stability on full shots is fine for my game. My hunch is that Srixon was aiming at Bridgestone when they came out with the Q-Star. And I believe they hit the target. The last 5 holes of the day I played the Q-Star side-by-side with the Bridgestone Tour B330RX, and the results in driver distance, feel of the irons and greenside grip were similar. I like the Q-Star better than the e6, which just seems too straight and lead-like to me. All in all, the Q-Star is a great ball and at the price is an absolute bargain.

CB killed this thing at our round at Grand Cypress.

This is my next ball purchase when I need ot make that purchase

Thanks JB, this ball is great, I played it again yesterday and came away even more impressed. Off the tee, its downright spectacular, and I get more than enough short game control. Off the irons in fly's nice and high and lands soft. I would gladly pay $35 for this ball, but at $25 its a freaking steal. Looking forward to your thoughts One-T when you get them.

Thanks JB, this ball is great, I played it again yesterday and came away even more impressed. Off the tee, its downright spectacular, and I get more than enough short game control. Off the irons in fly's nice and high and lands soft. I would gladly pay $35 for this ball, but at $25 its a freaking steal. Looking forward to your thoughts One-T when you get them.

I almost picked up a box of these but decided to wait for some feedback. Looks like I'll have to try them out now. I agree at $25 these are right in that price range I like and if they perform well even better.

Mine will be here monday, i just hope it goes better than my re-try with the B330rx.

I am a long time user of Srixon AD333 and Tri Speed golf balls. The AD333 (normal price of $19.99) is the best soft 2 piece golf ball for slow swing speeds(seniors) and I have tried a dozen of every 2 piece ball. The Tri Speed performance (normal price $29.99), a 3 piece, is about the same but costs more.

The new Srixon Q Star (presently at $24.99) is going to replace both the AD333 and Trispeed. Presently, the AD333 is being discounted at 2 doz for $24.99 at most stores and sites. The claim to fame by Srixon is that there is similar performance to the AD333, but less sidespin. I am sure that the price of the Q Stars will quickly fall to about $19.99. If you want a good ball at a great price, go to Ebay and bid on AD333. You can get some at about $10 to $11 a dozen, including shipping, if you bid correctly.

This is my next ball to try. I just got a box of the HX Diablo though. Those should last me at least a round:srixon:

I love em chunky, LOVE THEM!

How do they compare to the TM Burner Tour? Similar? That is my $20 standard right now. I'm willing to jump to $25 if the ball is that much better.:taylormade::srixon::prostaff:

Mine will be here monday, i just hope it goes better than my re-try with the B330rx.

It did for me. 330 RX were all over the place, next time out Q star flying straight down the fairway, one after another!

I almost picked up a box of these but decided to wait for some feedback. Looks like I'll have to try them out now. I agree at $25 these are right in that price range I like and if they perform well even better.

Kevin, you're gonna love 'em!

How do they compare to the TM Burner Tour? Similar? That is my $20 standard right now. I'm willing to jump to $25 if the ball is that much better.:taylormade::srixon::prostaff:

I was playing the burner tour a lot as well CL, and to me, they are far better, and I really like the Burner tour. I think they are longer off the tee and the irons, straighter, and a little more spin around the greens. Most importantly for me, they just "feel" better. I don't know what about them feels better to me, but they just do. I'm going to think about that the next time I'm playing, what about them I think makes them "feel" better in my head. Oh and you can get them in yellow.

You had me at yellow:srixon:

I really enjoy these balls yesterday. they do act like e6 off the tee. they seem to fight off my slice. I was seeing more of a fade than a slice. of course, nothing can fix a really bad slice but for me the QStar were holding off my tee shot from veering off the fairway when hit decent. I hit 8 of 14 FWY and the others weren't too far off the FWY. around the green, they were very similar with e5. I had 4 GIR's and the ball were approx 1-4 foot from the divot mark. I also had some bunker shots where the ball also only rolled a few feet from the landing spot. the best part about the QStar is the color of the ball. I really enjoy the more yellowish color compared to the ZStar. I will be gaming the QStar for the rest of the league play. I still have quite a few boxes of 2009 e5 so I'll still have to burn through those as well.

What is the Q-star like when compared directly to the AD333? Are they similar?

Random Q, why are there like brand tags listed after your post? haha

Random Q, why are there like brand tags listed after your post? haha

he lost a bet so he has to use smilies and logos in every post for i think a month lol

Back