Spieth tee preshot routine

skujan

Reaction score
Handicap
Don't care for it at all. With the crazy practice backswings and his caddie next to him ready with a towel that he repeatedly reaches to with his right hand.

Don't care for it at all. With the crazy practice backswings and his caddie next to him ready with a towel that he repeatedly reaches to with his right hand.

It's the sign of a lost soul..

If his goal is to make me nauseous it’s working. Otherwise I have no idea what’s going on in his head.

Like I need more reasons to not root for him!

When I saw his new pre-shot routine I had no clue what he was trying to do. He is doing this overexaggeration of an over the top move that just confuses the heck out of me. Haha and yes Mike standing there with a towel puts it all way over the top.

He has stopped playing golf and is playing "swing". All the natural talent and "feels" have been coached out of him. :(

Its brutal to watch I can't stand it

He’s clearly very very lost with his golf swing.

I love it. Anything to make him get back on track I’m here for. I’ve seen worse for shot routines

It is a drill to correct a swing path that is under plane. By exaggerating an over plane path he is working at correcting the path to be on plane approaching impact. An under plane path promotes a hook where an over plane swing path has the handle moving left before impact which favours a fade.
He changed his swing when he got to No 1 to eliminate the occasional hook by opening his clubface during the backswing. Worst thing he could have done because it adversely affected his swing with a two way miss and he lost his form.
At least now he is on the right track.

Everything he does is annoying so no change there.

He smiles too much too. And the genuine kindness he shows people makes him a dweeb.
I’ve always considered that part of his post-shot routine.

Golf Channel should provide a NSFW warning before his practice swings

It's the sign of a lost soul..

i'm not saying he's lighting the world on fire, but i do think he's playing well enough to win IF he can find his putter again. current year stats:

sg tee 49th
sg approach 54th
sg around the green 87th
sg putting 180th (!!!)
sg tee to green 41st

again, these aren't phenomenal numbers, but a hot putter can free up a lot. seeing him at 180th putting is shocking tbh

i'm not saying he's lighting the world on fire, but i do think he's playing well enough to win IF he can find his putter again. current year stats:

sg tee 49th
sg approach 54th
sg around the green 87th
sg putting 180th (!!!)
sg tee to green 41st

again, these aren't phenomenal numbers, but a hot putter can free up a lot. seeing him at 180th putting is shocking tbh

Absolutely. He is extremely talented and can make strange things work. That’s how top athletes are. But that practice swing is a symptom of some serious mental anxiety towards hitting shots.

But that practice swing is a symptom of some serious mental anxiety towards hitting shots.
Based on razaar's analysis of the reason behind Spieth's pre-shot routine, I am not certain that it is a symptom of anxiety. I think the argument would be that if he knows his issue is that he gets too shallow, he wants to exaggerate the opposite to prevent getting too shallow. It makes sense to me to use a preshot routine that exaggerates doing the opposite of what you want to avoid to get a feel of what you want to do.

Now look: I do not enjoy watching his pre-shot "Julio Franco," I've never liked Mr. Spieth, and I do think he displays tendencies a head case. But, given the justification for his preshot routine, I think there is an argument that the routine in and of itself is not necessarily a symptom of a deeper issue.

Last edited:

sg tee 49th
sg approach 54th
sg around the green 87th
sg putting 180th (!!!)
sg tee to green 41st

He had a hot putter for a few years and honestly hasn’t been heard of as a great since. So agreed it can make magic happen. See Cantlay last year

I was watching yesterday and was like what is he doing that looks like a terrible practice swing... it didn't help that he sent his tee shot way out into the trees/sand ... I get you want to exaggerate the piece that's not working but wondering if it's bad mental

It's annoying.

I don’t find that his swing has improved as a result of his new routine.

The pre shot routine is rough to watch it almost looks robotic...his putter needs to catch fire again for him to win, but the rest of his game has been solid

Back