• Hampton Cove, Huntsville, AL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Shoals, Muscle Shoals, AL

• Oxmoor Valley, Birmingham, AL

• Ross Bridge, Birmingham, AL

• Other location (please specifiy in post)

• Total voters

KellyBo

Golf, Have Fun or Quit!
Reaction score
Ol' Gray and I have been looking over golf courses on the Robert Trent Golf Trail and have come up with a proposal for the SE golf outing. We have narrowed it down to four courses in the northern part of Alabama so that more people might come. Please take a look at the links below and vote on the one you think would be best for the outing. We are looking at the first or second weekend in November. Let us know if what you think and if you would be interested in coming. Lots of cheap lodging is available all around these areas and golf is reasonable with one exception. You could come for as many days as you like. I would think we could plan the outing to be Friday - Sunday, maybe November 5 - 7 so the weather will still be good.

http://www.rtjgolf.com/hamptoncove/Hampton Cove, Huntsville, AL
54 holes (Three 18 hole courses)
Golf $52 for 18 holes (special rates for unlimited golf also available)
Accomodations w/n 2 miles for approx $50 per night per person IF room shared
http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=HSVHCHX

http://www.rtjgolf.com/theshoals/The Shoals, Muscle Shoals, AL
36 holes (Two 18 hole courses)
Accomodations w/n 13 miles for approx $50-$85 per night per person IF room shared
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mslmc-marriott-shoals-hotel-and-spa/
http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/florence/shefl/hoteldetail?hpIataNumber=99504425&ratePreference=6CBARC&destination=florence,%20al&rooms=1&adults=1&children=0

http://www.rtjgolf.com/oxmoorvalley/Oxmoor Valley, Birmingham, AL
54 holes (Three 18 hole courses)
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bhmhv-renaissance-ross-bridge-golf-resort-and-spa/ Very pricey but beautiful! Could share room for about $100 per night
or
http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/reservation?start=1&rpb=hotel&crUrl=/h/d/hi/1/en/hotelsearchresults#roomrate less than $50 per night if you share a room

http://www.rtjgolf.com/rossbridge/Ross Bridge, Birmingham, AL
Golf $136 for 18 holes pricey!

UPDATE: Looks like the outing will be on November 12-14 in Blairsville, GA. Ol' Gray is working on final details to rent a huge cabin that they rented earlier this year. See the next page for more details.

Last edited:
How set on the date are you? This Yankee might raid the south for an outing but I have my last wedding of the year to attend on the 6th. Don't worry about adjusting the date just for me if it works for the rest of ya.

some nice courses you guys have picked out there, but i don't think i'll be able to do much before the end of the year, and if i do, it's gonna have to be much more economical than that. good luck with planning it guys, i know it will be a ton of fun.

Thought this map may be helpful!

Thought this map may be helpful!

mapsoutheasternusa.jpg

How set on the date are you? This Yankee might raid the south for an outing but I have my last wedding of the year to attend on the 6th. Don't worry about adjusting the date just for me if it works for the rest of ya.

Dates are not written in stone yet...open to suggestions! Don't want to wait until it gets too cold or too close to holidays.

some nice courses you guys have picked out there, but i don't think i'll be able to do much before the end of the year, and if i do, it's gonna have to be much more economical than that. good luck with planning it guys, i know it will be a ton of fun.

Hate that TC - maybe you could ride down for at least one round!

I completely agree here. I wouldnt be able tomake it in these price ranges. You all have fun though!

I want to make one of these trips next year. THis year is gonna be tough with all that we have coming up. But man would it be a blast!

There are a couple of courses a little farther south also check out some of the courses in west Ga, also

I can't commit as of yet, got a tentative hunting trip to PA that for weekend, but I'm definetly gonna keep an eye on this one. Thanks Kelly and Gray!

Ok guys we will have more on this later once we hear from those that can make it. I hate it for the ones who would love to come but for whatever reason will not be there. Stay tuned as we work out the details.

Dang. The only way I could make a SE style outing would be if it were in NC in say the Sandhills area as the family is down to one car at the moment. Looks like a lot of fun though.

I hate I cant make it, but those prices are a little more than I would like to shoot for

I hate I cant make it, but those prices are a little more than I would like to shoot for

It would not be right with the Calloways not being able to come to our Southeastern outing! I am going to make a few calls tomorrow. Maybe it's possible to work out a group discount to include hotel and green fee rates. With the economy like it is, cheaper is a win/win for all of us. I will post tomorrow what type of golf Packages we can work into a reasonable price package. Heck we might even find a huge cabin close by that will fit 12 of us in it. This thread was put out to test the opinions of the general population, that did not get to experience the wonderful time had by all in Florida. If anyone who lives in Alabama, (Bama) please feel free to investigate some good package deals. We will let this run a few days and see what direction it takes us.

I would love to attend. I will be checking my schedule. The dates might clash with a wedding I promised to officiate.

I am in a bit of a price crunch too. I would love to come, but I just don't have that much money anymore and I have Christmas coming up which will take up most of my reserves.

Of the ones you guys listed, The Shoals is my favorite (specifically the Fighting Joe course), but it is the hardest to get to since it is about 45 min off the interstates. The RTJ Capitol Hill in Montgomery (technically Prattville) has several nice courses as well and has a hotel on site (and several other hotels + restaurants at the same exit).

If you all focused in the central Alabama area, a couple of other nice non-Trail courses are Limestone Springs in Oneonta (northeast of Birmingham), Timberline in Calera (just south of Birmingham), and Farm Links at Purcell Farms in Sylacauga (between Birmingham and Auburn). Prices for those would be similar though.

On the RTJ courses, the $52 does not include the cart fee which is another $16...so $68 total.

As much as I'd like to, I think I'm out as far as attending, but I've lived in multiple corners of Alabama, so let me know if I can help with any thoughts of courses/areas/etc.

There are a couple of courses a little farther south also check out some of the courses in west Ga, also

I can't commit as of yet, got a tentative hunting trip to PA that for weekend, but I'm definetly gonna keep an eye on this one. Thanks Kelly and Gray!

I am in a bit of a price crunch too. I would love to come, but I just don't have that much money anymore and I have Christmas coming up which will take up most of my reserves.

Of the ones you guys listed, The Shoals is my favorite (specifically the Fighting Joe course), but it is the hardest to get to since it is about 45 min off the interstates. The RTJ Capitol Hill in Montgomery (technically Prattville) has several nice courses as well and has a hotel on site (and several other hotels + restaurants at the same exit).

If you all focused in the central Alabama area, a couple of other nice non-Trail courses are Limestone Springs in Oneonta (northeast of Birmingham), Timberline in Calera (just south of Birmingham), and Farm Links at Purcell Farms in Sylacauga (between Birmingham and Auburn). Prices for those would be similar though.

On the RTJ courses, the $52 does not include the cart fee which is another $16...so $68 total.

As much as I'd like to, I think I'm out as far as attending, but I've lived in multiple corners of Alabama, so let me know if I can help with any thoughts of courses/areas/etc.

Thanks guys for the input. AD sounds like you got the Alabama side covered like a travel agent dude :eek:)!! Ok here's the deal, if anyone knows of a place that is economical on the pocket book that includes cart fees etc. in the Alabama, Georgia, or South Carolina area, pleas give us your opinions/ideas etc. I am still going to call the above mentioned facilities at the beginning of this thread to see if they have an out of season discounted rate etc. If that does not work would everyone be open to the Blairsville huge Cabin package again? I still have the owners phone number and we could rent two large cabins if enough people signed up. The rent is hard to beat at $65.oo for a Friday through Monday a.m. stay. The food (steaks, mom & pops grocery store items) etc. as the place had a full kitchen, stove, glasses, plates, yada yada doo. You have to bring your on beer or liquor as the county is dry. That is not a bad thing as a 30 pack of beer is a good deal. Just ask the Calloway boys :eek:)..... Kelly and I were thinking some where else larger so more people could come where an airport was in the general area. Birmingham & Huntsville (correct me if I am wrong AD) both have airports available? I appreciate what JB & GG go through a little bit more as to what they have to look at when planning an event. Ours is soooooo much smaller but still you have to consider everyones travel plans etc. Note: We will NOT have equipment to test like the THP version unless you want to try my snakes out. Ok so let's hear some mores ideas.

Cabin sounds good to me. I know the guys won't mind me coming this time cuz Uncle Daddy told me they need a woman around to clean up the place.

I am partial to the Hampton Cove courses....
They have a River course (water on 14-15 holes), the Highlands (something akin to the courses in FL where they wind through the houses a bit) and an 18 hole Par 3 short course
I really liked the Friday - Sunday idea as people are only out of work for 1 day...

i am up for anything though...
The cabin was an awesome idea earlier in the spring.....

bama

Cabin sounds good to me. I know the guys won't mind me coming this time cuz Uncle Daddy told me they need a woman around to clean up the place.

I am partial to the Hampton Cove courses....
They have a River course (water on 14-15 holes), the Highlands (something akin to the courses in FL where they wind through the houses a bit) and an 18 hole Par 3 short course
I really liked the Friday - Sunday idea as people are only out of work for 1 day...

i am up for anything though...
The cabin was an awesome idea earlier in the spring.....

bama

Hmmmm sounds like if I hook us up with the Mountain top cabin again and KellyBo is gonna do the cleaning, then what else do we need to discuss? :D If we do the Blarsville gig again Kelly & I got the Master suite on the middle floor. Sorry Uncle Dad you gonna have to move to the loft dude. Hey it's got it's on Master suite but also has a bed/sofa lounge area in between heading towards the huge bathroom. Ok so we might slim this outing down to the econo package again and keep it budget minded. I am still waiting on input from the mass but it is leaning towards the mountains again.....

It looks as if I can make it. A budget minded outing is fine by me.

If this is going to be a Blairsville, part deux, then I at least stand a shot at being able to come down for one round.

Gray - Huntsville and Birmingham both have airports, Birmingham's is bigger and is served by Southwest though.

Bama - I've got to get up to H'ville and try out Hampton Cove with you before long...somehow that is the one site I've never played at (not counting the overpriced Ross Bridge).

If you are looking for a course in Georgia as an alternative, Crystal Lakes in Suburban Atlanta is a great course and its $40-50 and that includes range balls and cart. As long as it is after the first weekend in November, I should be able to make it, even if it is in AL, got friends I could stay with in B'Ham.

Hopefully I can make it out to my first THP event!

Sorry ladies and gents but I too will be bowing out of this one. Been away from home too often lately and with the holidays coming up at that time it just wouldn;t be feasible for my attendance. I know y'all will have fun so no use wishing for that. Just a 'be safe' to those who decide to attend.

Back