Smash Factor and you. The dirty truth

Chunkylover77

Proud JakeNation Member
Reaction score
Handicap
So WTC is smash factor and why is mine so low. I was hitting in GG the other day with Yorkem. I was hitting some good drives at around the 240 mark. My smash factor was always in the 1.3's. Yorkem steps up and proceeds to worm burn one about 180 yards and his smash factor was in the 1.4's. I like to smash things well so I need help

I blame Foley. :D

I've always used a vector chunky and I don't even know what my smash factor is either. I'm more concerned about launch/spin dude.

I've always used a vector chunky and I don't even know what my smash factor is either. I'm more concerned about launch/spin dude.

Is smash factor a measure of how well you are hitting the ball? I'm going to be on a sim today and I want to know what I should be looking at. You say launch and spin. What would someone with a 100mph swing want?

Is smash factor a measure of how well you are hitting the ball? I'm going to be on a sim today and I want to know what I should be looking at. You say launch and spin. What would someone with a 100mph swing want?

I don't know dude. WIth a driver, I want no more than 2800 rpms of backspin and I want a launch angle around 14-16*. I also pay no attention to total distance, it's all carry I care about.

I imagine you would want around the same things. I don't know though.

CL this might help.

One of the measurements we need to maximize for the biggest drives is smash factor. The longest hitters in the world record smash factors of 1.50 and above. The highest smash factor recorded at the 2010 World Long Drive Championship was 1.53 by Ryan Louw. It obviously isn’t everything – as he finished tied for 3[SUP]rd[/SUP], but it is important. This article will explain precisely what it is, and how to maximize yours. - SP

In the analysis of a golf shot, “smash factor” is referred to increasingly in the golfing community. This in-depth interview with Fredrik Tuxen – CTO at ISG and the inventor of Track*Man™ – touches upon the relevance, measurement, and maximization of smash factor.
What is the smash factor?
The smash factor is the ratio between ball speed and club head speed.
What does smash factor tell a golfer about a shot?
As a parameter, it is an expression of the player’s ability to generate ball speed based on a given club speed. Technically, the smash factor says a lot about the centeredness of impact and the solidity of the shot - there is a strong correlation between the degree of centeredness at impact and the obtained smash factor.
How important is smash factor as a launch parameter?
It is very important – and to be honest, it is much more important than many think. Especially for those amateurs that try to swing too hard at the ball. By trying to achieve a high club speed, they lose control and don’t obtain a solid, centered impact, resulting in a relatively low smash factor, far from what is optimal. When working with TrackMan™, the amateur and the pro should focus a lot more on ball speed and the smash factor in order to improve their ball striking. This is the reason why we have deliberately taken club speed away from the first page on the TrackMan™ screen and moved it down to page 3. We want players to focus on what is really significant to improve in their swing.
Let me give you an example. With a club speed of 100 mph and a smash factor of 1.40, the ball speed is 140 mph. But if the golfer could obtain a smash factor of 1.48 with a more controlled swing having a lower club speed of 98 mph, the ball speed would be increased to 145 mph – i.e. an additional 5 mph ball speed by swinging slower. Since 1 more mph ball speed (all other things equal) will generate 2 more yards carry, an extra 10 yards is added to the drive in this case by swinging with more control! Further, the more controlled swing will most likely have a very positive effect on dispersion.
What is the highest smash factor you can obtain?
The laws of physics do put some limitations on what is possible. Even though you may impact the ball dead-center on the club face, so the ball departs on a line that goes directly through the Center of Gravity (CoG) of the club head, there are 3 more factors that determine the maximum obtainable smash factor:
1) coefficient of restitution between club and ball (COR),
2) the SPIN LOFT – the angle between club face orientation and club head direction (see TrackMan™ newsletter #1 and #2), and
3) the mass ratio between ball weight and club head weight.
The equation below shows the maximum obtainable smash factor assuming a dead-center hit:
For the coefficient of restitution, USGA and The R&A have limited golf clubs and balls to a maximum COR of 0.83.
While the spin loft could theoretically be 0 deg, it is impractical since this would mean something like a 0 deg lofted driver with a zero flex shaft producing 0 rpm of spin! The lowest realistic spin loft for a driver is around 8 deg.
As for the ball, the maximum allowed mass is 45.93 g, with no lower limit. However, it turns out that almost all golf balls have a mass above 45 g since the heavier weight makes the ball slow down less during flight (due to air resistance). For the club head mass, there are small variations among drivers. They typically range from 197 to 201 g, with tour pros using 202-207 g. The heaviest driver head I have heard about is 212 g.
By inserting realistic numbers in the equation above for maximizing the smash factor (COR 0.83, SPIN LOFT 8 deg, mass ratio 45/212), the highest realistic smash factor is 1.494.
A word of caution, before you start putting lead tape on your driver to make it heavier, that the heavier the club head the harder it is to generate club head speed. Maximum ball speed for a 45 inch driver is obtained for most people with a club head weight around 200 g. See “Search for The Perfect Swing” by Cochran and Stobbs for a study on how the club head speed varies with club head weight.
What is a good smash factor?
This depends highly on what club you are looking at and what ball type you are playing. For a driver with a premium ball, as an amateur, your smash factor should be above 1.42 and if you have elite ambitions, you should not be below 1.47. Tour pros should aim for nothing less than 1.48 as a minimum.
(continues)TRACKMAN™ NEWS Copyright © TrackMan™ 2008 www.TrackManGolf.com #3 MAY 2008 of 12

It's supposed to measure how well you transfer energy to the ball.....I think.

Good stuff DMB. Thanks dude. I'm going to see what a more relaxed swing brings today. I tend to just try and whale away on a sim

It is simply ball speed / clubhead speed. IF your clubhead speed is 100, and your ball speed is 150, then your smash factor is 1.5

Chunky,
To answer your question, Smash Factor is a ratio between ball speed to club speed. The idea behind it is, that it is a number that tells how well someone is hitting the ball (speed wise) dependent on their swing speed. The highest recorded ever I believe was 1.53 and 1.50 is considered near perfect. Here is a quote from an email I got about this topic two years ago by one of the best shaft experts and fitters there is.

Many amateurs that swing too hard at the ball off the tee, are losing control and because of that, don't get solid, centered impact. This results in a relatively low smash factor and in the end, less distance than what would be optimum for their swing speed. Here is an example. If you are swinging at 100 mph and have a smash factor of 1.40, the ball speed is 140 mph. But if the golfer could obtain a smash factor at around 148 with a smoother and controllable swing, having a swing speed of 98 mph, the ball speed would increase to 145 mph, which is an additional 5 mph ball speed with a smoother and more controllable swing. In the technical side of things, 1 mph more ball speed will add 2 additional yards of carry, this example yields 10 more yards of distance with the smoother swing. One quick note. Smoother does not mean slower. It means not chasing swing speed, which far too many amateur golfers do. Chase launch numbers instead and distance will come regardless.

Chunky,
To answer your question, Smash Factor is a ratio between ball speed to club speed. The idea behind it is, that it is a number that tells how well someone is hitting the ball (speed wise) dependent on their swing speed. The highest recorded ever I believe was 1.53 and 1.50 is considered near perfect. Here is a quote from an email I got about this topic two years ago by one of the best shaft experts and fitters there is.

Many amateurs that swing too hard at the ball off the tee, are losing control and because of that, don't get solid, centered impact. This results in a relatively low smash factor and in the end, less distance than what would be optimum for their swing speed. Here is an example. If you are swinging at 100 mph and have a smash factor of 1.40, the ball speed is 140 mph. But if the golfer could obtain a smash factor at around 148 with a smoother and controllable swing, having a swing speed of 98 mph, the ball speed would increase to 145 mph, which is an additional 5 mph ball speed with a smoother and more controllable swing. In the technical side of things, 1 mph more ball speed will add 2 additional yards of carry, this example yields 10 more yards of distance with the smoother swing. One quick note. Smoother does not mean slower. It means not chasing swing speed, which far too many amateur golfers do. Chase launch numbers instead and distance will come regardless.

Maybe this is why lighter could be better? Try for the smoother swing and make better contact. Going to bring the Black with me today and get a full testing. JB what should I be looking for in terms of spin and launch at the 100mph range? I reckon not as low spin as Big Carolina.

Maybe this is why lighter could be better? Try for the smoother swing and make better contact. Going to bring the Black with me today and get a full testing. JB what should I be looking for in terms of spin and launch at the 100mph range? I reckon not as low spin as Big Carolina.

I cant answer that one man. There are optimum numbers, but truth is, it can be different for different people. I look for a higher launch and spin than what is often recommended because I like slightly more carry based on where I play and roll out.

I cant answer that one man. There are optimum numbers, but truth is, it can be different for different people. I look for a higher launch and spin than what is often recommended because I like slightly more carry based on where I play and roll out.

Would this depend on your course conditions to? I have heard of some pros changing drivers for windy, wet and dry conditions. Is spin and carry the reason?

Good read jb! I always over swing and lose distance

Thanks DMB for that explanation. When I was being fitted a few months ago, the fitter was comparing my smash factor on the various shafts that I was hitting in the same club head. I had no idea what it was, but he said that I had much better control of the club head with a shaft a little heavier than what was in all my clubs. This led me away from the super lightweight and longer shafts that many OEM's are pushing these days to "increase club head speed and distance". I'm back in a 45" driver with Aldila RIP shaft and am hitting it further with much more accuracy. I haven't changed my iron shafts yet, but, I may do that soon. Now, I know why its working.

Would this depend on your course conditions to? I have heard of some pros changing drivers for windy, wet and dry conditions. Is spin and carry the reason?

to an extent, but as amatuers we should really try a more consistent for my game type of approach if that makes sense.

to an extent, but as amatuers we should really try a more consistent for my game type of approach if that makes sense.

I understand. I think that is were a higher loft helps out with our games.

So, back to the smash factor. I guess if you are over 140 you are doing good?

i agree dmb. it certainly did in my fittings in the past.

CL this might help.

One of the measurements we need to maximize for the biggest drives is smash factor. The longest hitters in the world record smash factors of 1.50 and above. The highest smash factor recorded at the 2010 World Long Drive Championship was 1.53 by Ryan Louw. It obviously isn

Does the club used affect smash factor? The reason I ask is a couple of years ago I was on a launch monitor with a 13* three wood and had several readings in the 1.62 range and more than half were 1.5 or better, could these have been mistakes? My swing speed is low so I thought maybe it is easier to maximize smash factor with a slower swing speed than with a higher one.

Does the club used affect smash factor? The reason I ask is a couple of years ago I was on a launch monitor with a 13* three wood and had several readings in the 1.62 range and more than half were 1.5 or better, could these have been mistakes? My swing speed is low so I thought maybe it is easier to maximize smash factor with a slower swing speed than with a higher one.

Yep that is going to be a misread

Tapin for bird

I'm glad someone asked this, because I was going to ask the other day. I only wish I knew what all my numbers were.

Wandering the earth like Kane from Kung Fu, Tapatalking on an iPhone.

Well, I've seen you pretty smashed in Blairsville a couple years back and you were off the charts :bulgy-eyes:

I logged in at 1.45 to 1.49 the other day. Is that good?

Back