Significant or somewhat historical sports events/moments you witnessed. (I'll being with one)

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I didnt want to highjack another thread where the Reds were mentioned as I have a nice story to tell about Pete Rose so I thought Id post it here.
Actually two things and they concern the Reds of the 70's. Pete rose in specific.

My older sister had a boyfriend in the 70's and I was very close with his younger brother even to this day. I was 9 or 10 at the time. They somehow (I dont know how or why) but were Reds fans. I was/am a Mets fan. They had an uncle with Mets seasons back in the day.
Most evry time the Reds were in town my older sister's boyfriend would get tickets to a game or two and they would take us (the 4 of us would go).

There were two very significant games I was in attendance for concerning Pete Rose. Mind you Im only 9 for the first significant event and at the time had no idea I was watching significant history unfold. I was at the classic /famous Pete Rose- Buddy Harrelson 2nd base fight and team brawl that ensued game 3NLCS. I have minimal but some memory of all the chaos on the field but never knew ( I was a young kid) just how historical that was.

The Other Pete Rose event I do remember well was some years later in 1978 (and Im of course bit older then) was his NL consecutive games hit tie and also then record which was at Shae vs the Mets both games. I was at the second one and I recall that standing ovation. At about 2 min into this vid you see the tie record and then a tad later the second game breaking the record.

So yea, my two greatest Mets game moments was actually both Pete Rose historical events.....lol.
On another note....he should been in the hall a long time ago already.

I was in attendance for the KU-WVU game when Jayhawk fans set the guiness record for loudest indoor stadium. It also happened to be a huge comeback win and it was way louder during the comeback than it was during the record attempt.

I scored two tickets to the 1988 Dodgers world series game 1. Not great seats, in the bleachers way high, but hey, they were gifted to me. You guest it, Kirk Gibson's famous home run. o_O

Last edited:
Test cricket Centenary test match , between England and Australia at the MCG in 1977 , went all 5 days , amazing result with Australia winning by the exact same margin as the first test match.

In 1975 as a youngster I was at the original “Hail Mary” pass. My dad had Vikings season tickets and it was a tough way to end the season.

I was also at the launch of the first iPhone where Steve Jobs introduced to us the device that changed the world.

Last edited:
I have a Reds story too. September 16, 1988 my dad and I went to a Reds game. There was a rain delay for what seemed like forever. We stayed waiting it out. The game didn’t start until late. Probably around 9:30pm. By the time it started most of the stadium had emptied out.

The ushers let us go down right behind the Reds dugout. There was a group of maybe 40 of us down there in an otherwise empty stadium. When Browning took the mound you could tell he had special stuff that night. He didn’t just blank the Dodgers he threw a Perfect Game. No walks, no hits, no runs, no errors.

It was such an incredible thing to witness live at 10 years old and solidified my love for baseball.

Last edited:
In person? None that I can think of.

Watching live? Many, Kentucky vs Duke (Latner’s shot), Tyson vs Douglas, The Earthquake during the Oakland vs San Francisco World Series, Tiger, Jordan, etc.

It’s fun to think of all the great sports moment we have seen and how much enjoyment we got.

I was at the Bradley Center for the Bucks/Bulls game when the Bulls won their 70th game. My dad's boss gave us the tickets - like 15 rows up between the circles. That was pretty neat.

It's really not that significant, but each time I went and watched Michael Vick play up at VT during the 1999 season it certainly felt like he was changing the game forever.

June 7, 1997 at Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, MI

Third row seat behind the Red Wings goal when the final horn of the 1997 Stanley Cup Playoffs sounds, signaling the first Red Wings championship in 42 years.

Back in the early 80's I watched Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney break the world speed record for Top Fuel dragsters in the 1/4 mile here in Spokane.

I was in the stands when Samaje Perine set the NCAAF single game rushing record against Kansas.

Not ideal weather (windy, rainy, and cold) to introduce your wife to Oklahoma football, but was a cool thing to witness.

I was at the last game Kriby Puckett played. It was a spring training game in Ft. Myers that I randomly attended with my dad while I was down there to interview for grad school.

High in *my* list of importance, I attended my first game at Michigan Stadium. THey Played Northwestern. It was the year Desmond Howard won the heisman. He scored the first two plays from scrimmage, and nearly the 3rd as well. Finally getting stopped on the goal line on that one. Also of note in that game, the first TD by Tyrone Wheatley. In the 4th quarter, they announced that Chrysler Arena would be open for mens basketball inter squad scrimmage......which happened to be the first public appearance of the Fab Five!

Uhhh, pretty short resume and some of these are stretches at being significant:

Sammy Sosa's 66th home run in 1998 at the Astrodome
Wrestlemania 17 (if that counts :LOL:)
Nebraska's last Big XII game

Aaaand, I think that's about it. I'm sure there are some very minor significant moments that I missed.

I was at the once famous "Havlicek stole the ball" game in Boston Garden, 1965.

As a really young kid I saw Sugar Ray Robinson lose the middleweight title for the last time, also at the old Boston Garden, 1960.
Local fighter Paul Pender beat him. My dad took me to boxing matches from almost toddler age, but I was on my own to see the other sports,
even living walking distance from the venues.

I don't know if this counts, but I actually got high on second hand pot smoke OUTDOORS--that's almost impossible and thus significant.
That was at Yankee Stadium, Ali vs, Norton, so you can imagine the volume of smoke in our section.

I dont do this only to brag but more because they bring back memories and time goes too fast so you save these things in your mind to relive my younger days. Bittersweet in many ways.

Here is another as an almost 40 year season tix holder to the miserable ny jets. Yes the team that won one the most important games in NFL history (via superbowl 3) and hasnt done anything since :confused2::cry: and so frustrating:banghead:

But still Ive been to probably near 250 to 300 games going back to shea stadium days before i had seasons. And some have been historical.
I was at the "midnight miracle or aka Monday night misracle"

Was the greatest 4th Quarter comeback on abc's MNF history and the longest game in MNF history. Remember this was when abc's MNF was a huge event deal every week (unlike nowadays).
The game was voted greatest televised ABC MNF game ever and also #5 for all time NFL comeback games. You need to watch the vid and see just how up and down back forth this game was. Its incredible even for fans of nether teams.
Unfortunately due to rights you'll need to click the link to watch the highlights on YouTube.
On another side note I think V.T. was so underrated as an NFL QB. hes got fantastic career numbers and had an outright cannon for an arm.

I also had other famous games to personally witness on the bad side like the somewhat famous Marino Spike fake game and others etc. Its not been so great being a jets fan and tix holder.

And second vid (also copy restrictions) I was in attendance is T .Bradshwa's last game ever played was at Shea stadium vs Jets.

On another note the jets were the very first and also very last ABC MNF game I was also at the last one (link below) (Michaels/Gifoord and etc.. which was a home game. They lost:confused2:😢 LOL. And who can forget the older theme musical intro to ABC MNF. It was great to here that blasted over the speakers at the stadiums as you you new the nation was tuning at that second and the crowds would go wild. It was so much fun back then.

Last edited:
I was at the Minneapolis Miracle game. It was an incredible game to be at. It also happen to be a blizzard that night.

I was at Super Bowl XIV, at The Rose Bowl in 1980, the last title for Chuck Noll's Steelers. The TD catch by John Stallworth that made the cover of Sports Illustrated happened at our end of the field.

I was at the last two games played at Forbes Field, the home of the Pittsburgh Pirates before Three Rivers Stadium.

I went to a Pirates game at Three Rivers with some co-workers and spouses. The Pirates pitcher was Jim Bibby (brother of hoops player Henry), and the first batter he faced hit a clean single through the box. "My manager turned to me and said, "There goes the perfect game." He was right. Bibby retired the next 27 batters he faced.\

My pregnant wife and I attended the showdown Ampipe-Walnut Heights football game in All the Right Moves. Yeah, it was a movie. Yeah, we were extras.

I watched Tom Berenger and Wesley Snipes produce the winning run for the Indians to win the pennant!! in the movie Major League (filmed at Milwaukee County Stadium). I'm the 10 yr old holding up a sign saying 'Smoke 'em Tribe! in the worst 80's shirt a kid ever wore! :LOL:

I've been to tons of actual games of consequence, but that memory really stands out for me.

Last edited:
I was at the longest hockey game in the history of the Minnesota State Tournament, Apple Valley vs. Duluth East. I was like 15 years old - EPIC WAR. 5 overtimes.

Game 7, 2016 Cubs-Indians World Series. My team lost but the range of emotions was incredible...it's still the greatest game I've ever been to. :cry:

Back