Shogun - FX series

I like that, and hate it at the same time. If I am going to put everything down and focus, it's typically on a good book.
There is an English dub if you watch on Hulu. There are still some subtitles but not near as many

There is an English dub if you watch on Hulu. There are still some subtitles but not near as many
But, dubs can be SO bad.

But, dubs can be SO bad.
There is still a ton of Japanese in the dub version, best to just commit the focus on the normal subtitled version

There is still a ton of Japanese in the dub version, best to just commit the focus on the normal subtitled version
Seems like giving it the commitment is the way to go.

But, dubs can be SO bad.
It’s not that bad of a dub. But anytime there’s a conversation that would have been Japanese’s and English it’s still subtitles. It’s only dubbed on Japanese only conversations.

I’m caught up through episode 8 and am really enjoying this show. It’s really well done

I'm on Ep 6 and cursing my work schedule and the choice I made to introduce this to my life right now.

ryan reynolds lol GIF by Lionsgate

I never should have started.

Didn't really end well as far as I am concerned.

I have been loving this show.

The other day I hit a nice high 3wd that drifted just enough left to go in the water. I thought to myself: that was an honorable death. That ball committed seppuku. And it chose me as it’s second.

Spoiler Alerts!!!

As luck would have it, I had actually started reading Clavell's doorstop of a book before I learned the FX show was coming out. It lit a fire under me to make sure I got through the novel before the first episode aired. I felt the show was very true to the novel, and the actors chosen for the leads, especially Toranaga, Yabushige, and Mariko were perfectly cast. I couldn't get past Jarvis' mannerisms playing Blackthorne/Angin San. For some reason, his acting drove me insane. All in all, I loved the series, and unlike many others that felt the finale was lacking without showing the final battle, the book just devoted a page in the "afterword" discussing it. To have read the book made it easier to appreciate Toranaga's strategy and what "Crimson Sky" actually was - Mariko's planned death to bring Lady Ochiba to Toranaga's side against Ishido and the Council of Regents.

Knowing the story is essentially a retelling of actual Japanese history using different character names made it all the more intriguing. I loved it.

I enjoyed the series but wanted more if that makes sense. I didn't pick up on Mariko's death being planned- I must have missed something there, and just leads to me saying there could have been more to the series. There were a few other things that I didn't pick up on, that I've read were misses on my part so... maybe I'm just not that observant.

I enjoyed the series but wanted more if that makes sense. I didn't pick up on Mariko's death being planned- I must have missed something there, and just leads to me saying there could have been more to the series. There were a few other things that I didn't pick up on, that I've read were misses on my part so... maybe I'm just not that observant.
This kind of stuff is so hard to pick up on in shows if you haven’t read the book. I didn’t read Shogun but I did read all the GoT books prior to watching the series. So many times while watching I would think: How would anyone who hasn’t read this know this or that or this? There’s just so much more nuance in the books. Is what it is I guess.

This kind of stuff is so hard to pick up on in shows if you haven’t read the book. I didn’t read Shogun but I did read all the GoT books prior to watching the series. So many times while watching I would think: How would anyone who hasn’t read this know this or that or this? There’s just so much more nuance in the books. Is what it is I guess.
Agreed and I realize that 100% - having read GoT prior to the series as well, the backstory was difficult to bring out there as I'm sure it is here in Shogun.

Agreed and I realize that 100% - having read GoT prior to the series as well, the backstory was difficult to bring out there as I'm sure it is here in Shogun.
For sure. And I’m with you on the Mariko stuff. A lot of the time I felt like I had a vague idea of what was going on but only pieced it together after the fact. Still really enjoyed the show though. May have to dig into the books prior to season 2.

Good show. I liked it a lot.

I started reading the book after the first episode. I had no delusions that I would finish it before. There is a ton of internal dialog that you don’t get in the show. Hard to convey that stuff. I’m only about a quarter through the book but so far everything I’ve read was addressed in the show.

Based on podcasts there’s only one big divergence from the books.

I thought it was an excellent first season. Would have liked to have seen more fighting scenes, but this felt more like an introduction. Hopefully we don't have to wait years for the second season. I don't like that Mariko passed, because I liked her character, but it really put the full plan into motion and fit within the storyline. This feels more like Samurai Peaky Blinders to me than a GOT-type show. Toranaga is a lot like Thomas scheming in the background and as things fall into place you see the full picture.

I thought the first season was superb.

I thought the ending was perfect. A main character’s MO is that he scheme’s and plots in secret to outmaneuver his enemies. Viewers experienced that too by getting clues but not a bread crumb leading straight to the answer. A very late scene uses another character to explain it all to the viewer; we are like him - aware of several moves but unaware of the full master plan. I thought this was very skilled story telling.

I thought it was an excellent first season. Would have liked to have seen more fighting scenes, but this felt more like an introduction. Hopefully we don't have to wait years for the second season. I don't like that Mariko passed, because I liked her character, but it really put the full plan into motion and fit within the storyline. This feels more like Samurai Peaky Blinders to me than a GOT-type show. Toranaga is a lot like Thomas scheming in the background and as things fall into place you see the full picture.
Just a 1 season mini season. What we saw is all we’re going to get. Talks that FX might pick up one of the next books from the 6 book series. The second book moves to 1841 about 240 years later.

That is all there is. That takes it through the end of Clavell's novel. The second of Clavell's "Asia" series of novels is called "Tai-Pan" about the beginning of Hong Kong under British rule and the scheming over trade and the Chinese culture. There is a later Clavell novel called "Gai-Jin" about the desendants of the clans in "Shogun" set in the 1860's as the samurai culture comes to an end and Japan really starts to open up to European trade. In terms of chronological order, it takes place after "Tai-Pan".

Just watched the first episode. I’m intrigued enough to keep watching. A couple of gruesome deaths in the first episode, and the part with the baby just hurts my soul.

Back