Sharks in a water hazard?

They sure look like Bull Sharks. It is one thing to have sharks in the pond, but Bull Sharks are as dangerous as they come.

Not an accurate statement at all! I've been spearfishing, and had bull sharks come by, 3 of them, all large enough to eat me and my 2 friends, and still want more! They come, check you out, and leave. I have friends that spearfish every weekend off of Jupiter, and there are always bullsharks. Never had an issue with them. Sure they might steal a fish here and there, but for the most park, they just check you out.
I'd much rather be in the water with sharks, than to be in there with gators and crocs.

I heard about this place last year, can't remember how. If you go to the course website they have video's of the sharks swimming around in the pond and you can see the green off in the distance.

Not an accurate statement at all! I've been spearfishing, and had bull sharks come by, 3 of them, all large enough to eat me and my 2 friends, and still want more! They come, check you out, and leave. I have friends that spearfish every weekend off of Jupiter, and there are always bullsharks. Never had an issue with them. Sure they might steal a fish here and there, but for the most park, they just check you out.
I'd much rather be in the water with sharks, than to be in there with gators and crocs.

Whites, Tigers and Bulls are the three top species for attacks on humans. Overall attacks are rare, but to call Bulls not dangerous is incorrect.

wow thats crazy, i love watching shark shows(shark week), would love to see that in real life

Whites, Tigers and Bulls are the three top species for attacks on humans. Overall attacks are rare, but to call Bulls not dangerous is incorrect.

they don't hold a candle on whales though. Orcas will mess a white shark up

Give me my stroke penalty and move on..........

Do they have freakin' lazer beams on their heads?

All my club has are ill-tempered sea bass. :angry:

I mentioned in the "deer thread" that the biggest problem we have here in Australia is snakes on the course. I have gone to pick up my ball from the grass to find a snake run across my hand but the more commen thing is a snake laying in front of your ball. One of my mates last week had multiple snakes on the green when he was playing a comp.

I mentioned in the "deer thread" that the biggest problem we have here in Australia is snakes on the course. I have gone to pick up my ball from the grass to find a snake run across my hand but the more commen thing is a snake laying in front of your ball. One of my mates last week had multiple snakes on the green when he was playing a comp.

Wow that's insane. How do you go about putting if a nasty snake is laying in your line? Scare it off or just wait haha

Arguably Bulls are the most dangerous as they can be found in fresh water

Shark Week is always must see tv
wow thats crazy, i love watching shark shows(shark week), would love to see that in real life

there was just a show on that detailed how a killer whale beat the tar out of a monster great white in the Pacific....Shamu is Jedi smart
they don't hold a candle on whales though. Orcas will mess a white shark up

This is a picture of a shark at a golf course in Australia.

shark.jpg

I'm a diver too, and you are correct that bulls are not particularly dangerous to divers, but divers rarely confront them in water with extremely poor visibility. Bulls are aggressive feeders, and in murky water like inland rivers they will attack by vibrations alone. They may reject what they attack after biting it, but that doesn't make a shark bite any less nasty. In water where they can see what they are investigating, they are unlikely to attack a diver since they feed primarily on fish, and divers don't really look like fish. This is why a diver can swim with hundreds of schooling hammerheads.... you just aren't what they normally seek for prey.

Tiger sharks are dangerous because they are indiscriminate feeders - they'll eat just about anything, including a lot of trash. Great whites often feed on mammals, so it isn't much of a jump from sea lions to humans, especially if the human is camouflaged to look like a sea lion.

So how much is that ProV1 worth to you? :D

That's a pretty interesting feature for a golf course. Although what would be even cooler is if they have frickin lasers attached to their heads.

I dive as well and that's all true.

Tigers may be the worst salt water sharks due to their broad 'diet'

I'm a diver too, and you are correct that bulls are not particularly dangerous to divers, but divers rarely confront them in water with extremely poor visibility. Bulls are aggressive feeders, and in murky water like inland rivers they will attack by vibrations alone. They may reject what they attack after biting it, but that doesn't make a shark bite any less nasty. In water where they can see what they are investigating, they are unlikely to attack a diver since they feed primarily on fish, and divers don't really look like fish. This is why a diver can swim with hundreds of schooling hammerheads.... you just aren't what they normally seek for prey.

Tiger sharks are dangerous because they are indiscriminate feeders - they'll eat just about anything, including a lot of trash. Great whites often feed on mammals, so it isn't much of a jump from sea lions to humans, especially if the human is camouflaged to look like a sea lion.

This is a picture of a shark at a golf course in Australia.

shark.jpg

I've got a huge fear of sharks, there's no way I'd play well at all the rest of my round.

I might rather take sharks in the water over alligators. At least the sharks can't climb out and chase you if the mood strikes them. (Alligators can run up to like 40 mph in a straight line for a good distance - plenty long enough to run down even the fastest humans. Especially angry mama's protecting a nest.) Usually they don't bother golfers, but the chance is there, especially if you disturb them. I just played a course a couple of weeks ago with a warning sign on one hole that there was a mother gator protecting a nest about 200 yards from the tee on the right and to not hunt for balls if near that area.

Good point, this doesn't look fun:
Crocodile-Attack.png

so thats not a good time to use the ball retriever?

true dat. One is supposed to run in a zig zag pattern when running from gators.

I finally saw my first 'big' gator in January the last time I was at THP HQ...it was surreal to see it sitting on the bank of the lake and then slip into the water to go to the other part of the fairway. That was a fairway I didn;t mind missing

I might rather take sharks in the water over alligators. At least the sharks can't climb out and chase you if the mood strikes them. (Alligators can run up to like 40 mph in a straight line for a good distance - plenty long enough to run down even the fastest humans. Especially angry mama's protecting a nest.) Usually they don't bother golfers, but the chance is there, especially if you disturb them. I just played a course a couple of weeks ago with a warning sign on one hole that there was a mother gator protecting a nest about 200 yards from the tee on the right and to not hunt for balls if near that area.

So for those of you thinking that the worst thing possible on a golf course happened to Rory McIlroy on Sunday, guess again. He could've been eaten.

Classic punch line journalism.

So for those of you thinking that the worst thing possible on a golf course happened to Rory McIlroy on Sunday, guess again. He could've been eaten.

Classic punch line journalism.

A la Chubbs in Happy Gillmore...

Crazy..... I'll take the sharks over the snakes they have down there though.

Back