Shallowing the Club

I’m amazed at how steep and over top throwing amateurs are.For so many it would take a massive overhaul fixing that

When I got back into Golf it drove me crazy the I kept Toeing the Ball. Could not understand why until my Son took secret Vid of me, OMG, Uuugly. That weekend went to TopGolf and would vid each Swing and watch. Still too high, Swing, still too high. Figured out the bad habit was from Back troubles long ago. After 1.5 hours of constant vids was able to FEEL where Club was supposed to be.
The idea of Over Exaggerating a Swing that you see some Pros do on Camera works. It's hard to get the proper FEEL without a LOT of time practicing.

A big key with shallowing is making it an outcome instead of an effort.

A big key with shallowing is making it an outcome instead of an effort.
Yes, but also learning the feeling of what a shallowed club feels like is important.

Yes, but also learning the feeling of what a shallowed club feels like is important.

Yes, awareness is important too, especially when there are multiple ways shallowing can be introduced into a rotating system.

This video may have unlocked the last piece for me for getting my downswing where I wanted it to be.

I spent uncountable hours, thousands of reps, getting my pivot down to the ball right. But, as soon as I'd get a ball in front of me: While my pivot down to the ball was kinda sorta almost right, my old "throwing the club down and out at the ball" motion would reassert itself. The rest of my body would know what my arms were doing, compensate, and everything but my arms would stall until the ball strike.

Frustrating.

A couple of days ago I started adding Phase 2 (at 16:53 in the video) reps after my pivot down training reps. After doing those two I tried a couple slow-motion downswings. Now I could feel what it was supposed to feel like when I got it right.

Thanks for posting that video, @Hawk!

I saw this video the other day and found it absolutely fascinating how little the last couple lessons I took talked about the right elbow. We know I am long, we know I'm dealing with over the top (especially with driver), yet that discussion has never made it's way to getting the right elbow into a better place as we drive down through the zone.

Long story short, I took this swing thought to the course today, and I swear it helped. Not on the way back, but absoluuuutely on the way through getting that right elbow underneath early.

Curious to hear what you guys think about your right elbow and whether you've used that to shallow.

Thanks for posting this. Every spring it's like I haven't golfed before. Pretty good detail here. My OTT also is worse with driver.

The Tour striker ball has helped shallow my swing a ton. My trail shoulder has to be in external rotation to hold the ball and just by being in that position my trail wrist is much more horizontal so shallow automatically.
Its almost like Yoga for the first few weeks until it gets comfortable. I was sweating just doing static back swings lol

I need to stop watching golf swing Instagram. All I want to do now is go to a sim and try to hit huge high cuts. Spin monsters.

It's been about two weeks I've been back to swing training. The AMG "Shallowing Like You've Never Seen Before" video @Hawk posted first was a great help, but there somehow seemed to be something missing.

Then, doing something entirely not golf-related on YouTube I ran across this:

Bingo! There it was: The "Magic Move." Whether because I wasn't paying attention closely enough to the "Shallowing Like..." video or whatever, that was the missing "little" piece. And I quote "little" because it's not little at all. It's crucial.

It's funny how stuff sometimes comes together. They mention Harvey Penick and his Little Red Book in the above video, so I went out and bought it.

From Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teaching from a Lifetime in Golf:
The Magic Move

IF THERE IS any such thing as a Magic Move in the golf swing, to me it is an action that I stress over and over on the practice tee and in this book. You have heard it from me many times by now, but I will say it again—to start your downswing, let your weight shift to your left foot while bringing your right elbow back down to your body.

It's been about two weeks I've been back to swing training. The AMG "Shallowing Like You've Never Seen Before" video @Hawk posted first was a great help, but there somehow seemed to be something missing.

Then, doing something entirely not golf-related on YouTube I ran across this:

Bingo! There it was: The "Magic Move." Whether because I wasn't paying attention closely enough to the "Shallowing Like..." video or whatever, that was the missing "little" piece. And I quote "little" because it's not little at all. It's crucial.

It's funny how stuff sometimes comes together. They mention Harvey Penick and his Little Red Book in the above video, so I went out and bought it.

From Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teaching from a Lifetime in Golf:

That is awesome you figured this out via YouTube and Harvey Penick’s book.Im one who if I can’t be shown (and feel) what to do (in person) I can never do it.Keep it going

I've tried to quit thinking a lot about swallowing (purposefully with a move) when I try to think about it as a specific move I get in major trouble and start stalling out trying to get there. Instead, I'm finding that if/when I have 'passive arms' and have the feel of leaving my hands behind at the top when I start my ground-up transition to the downswing then swallowing just kinda happens, and then good things with ball-flight.

I've tried to quit thinking a lot about swallowing (purposefully with a move) when I try to think about it as a specific move I get in major trouble and start stalling out trying to get there. Instead, I'm finding that if/when I have 'passive arms' and have the feel of leaving my hands behind at the top when I start my ground-up transition to the downswing then swallowing just kinda happens, and then good things with ball-flight.

Quitting anything can be a hard pill to swallow.

The right pocket cue made it really feel right to me.
That cue can work IF you get the weight shift and hips to begin to unwind first.

That cue can work IF you get the weight shift and hips to begin to unwind first.
And your back-swing is right (which he notes), and you don't EE, and ... ;)

Point being: Like most other swing tips: This can't be taken in isolation. The likely success of implementing a particular swing tip is dependent on a whole bunch of other things that may or may not be happening.

I experimented briefly with that feel in training earlier today. Didn't work for me. What's working for me is feeling my trail elbow tucking in and like I'm pushing my hands toward my lead foot. Then again: The elbow thing I've been training for over a week, so there's that.

This thread and the links kind of make me teary.

Back